If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mom's Cox-Maze & Myectomy April 6

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Proximus Find out more about Proximus
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim,

We're all thinking of you and your mom, and hoping to hear soon that she is back on track and feeling much better. Hang in there, and take care of yourself as well.

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Hi Jim. I'm sorry she had complications. How is she today? How are you??

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Jim ,

I hope today your mom is doing better and that you have gootten some rest. Let us know please. We are all saying prayers.

Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hoping that your mom is doing well now, I've been thinking of her and sending caring thoughts her way. Thanks for keeping us posted, Lisa I.

Comment

Wow. What a difference a day makes! She's off the vent and she's alert and talking. She's still high on morphine (which is kind of funny), but other than that she's great. She says that her back hurts more than anything, I guess from laying in bed for so long. When she woke up, she still thought it was Wednesday and she didn't believe us when we told her it was Friday. She also didn't believe us when we told her she had two operations. They put her in a chair for a couple hours tonight. She's still really weak and has a lot of trouble moving her arms. She was able to get her cup of water a couple times with very little assistance from us, which is good. There's talk from the doctors that she may get moved out of ICU tomorrow. I would really like to see her out into the step-down unit! Anyway, once again I'm exhausted. I'm gonna get some much-needed sleep and head back to the hospital in the morning.

-Jim

PS
            Thanks for all of the support through all of this. You have no idea how good it feels to know people understand how I feel.

Comment

Jim

That is such great news!!!!!, tell her to take it easy for a few days it is the roughest and by day 4 she will be up and going

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004
              Husband: Ken
              Son: John diagnosed 2004
              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Hey Jim,

I'm sorry that I haven't had time to post to you, but I'm really glad your mom is doing good. I have lots of experience with having your mom in the hospital, worrying about her, trying to be there for her, and being exhausted. (My mom had lots of hospitalizations, and eventually, a heart transplant, with complications).

Anyway, thanks for sharing with us, and please know that I am pulling for you all.

Debbie

Comment

I'm so happy to hear that she's doing so much better! I hope that each day continues to show more improvements.

Reenie
                  Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Great news, Jim!
                    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

So... She didn't sleep at all last night. So she was totally exhausted today. She was falling asleep as we were talking to her. Fluid has kept building around her right lung, so they had to re-insert the chest tube. She said that it hurt worse than childbirth. I felt so bad for her. Almost makes me cry thinking about the pain that she had to be in. After that she got some Morphine and the pain number went from a 9 to a 5, so that was good. She had a real dinner (chicken, rice, broccoli and a roll) tonight, but she didn't eat anything, except for a little fruit salad. She has no appetite at all... She really needs to get some protein in her. Anyway... They'll do a chest x-ray in the morning and see how the chest tube did. If it's still not getting the fluid off that it needs to get off, they'll have to move it to another place. I really hope they don't do that because I don't want her to go through that pain again.

-Jim

Comment

Wow, I'm tearing up just reading your last entry..... After having experienced having a myectomy, I truly feel for anyone who is going through it. While the pain IS bad, she WILL overcome this!! Just by having you there, even if you're not talking or anything, just your presence, is SO very important. Keep your spirits up and keep us informed. I'm thinking of you and your mom, as are we all Steph
                        Had myectomy on March 1 2005 and was implanted w/an ICD on April 28 2005....please refer to me now as the Bionic Woman

Comment

Remind her that they can give her a sleep aid if she still doesn't sleep tonight. I hope tomorrow is better.

Reenie
                          Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Jim

I hope your mom gets better soon, i will be praying for her. You are a good son for being there for her, you take care of yourself too Jim and tell your mom we're all rooting for her

Shirley
                            Diagnosed 2003
                            Myectomy 2-23-2004
                            Husband: Ken
                            Son: John diagnosed 2004
                            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Oh Jim,

I do know what your mother is experiencing. They lied to me and told me it would not hurt as there were no nerve endings there. Well let me tell you after it was over I could have smacked my doctor in the head for not being honest. They would not give me anything pre or during the insertion except local novacaine because they said there was not an anesthesiologist booked and they did not realize I had such bad sleep apnea . I could have screamed if I were the type. I wanted to bite the hand of the nurse who was holding me down and on my side . He said , I could pinch him, squeeze his hand and do most anything except move. It hurt so bad while I was going back to my room , I thought I would pass out. They had to do a bedside x-ray and give me pain killers asap.

My heart goes out to her and to you because you have to see her go through it all.

Have the kitchen make her protein enriched shakes . Also the fruit is good to have. Have them send up several times a day. If she can tolerate softer foods try to get her to have chicken pot pie and things that are more appetizing and don't require so much energy to eat. I remember just thinking about eating and seeing it on TV turned me off. It can be a slow process.

My best to you both .

Pam
                              Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                              Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                              Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                              SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                              [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                              Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                              Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                              Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Jim, I know too well the helpless feeling of watching someone you love in so much pain. You and your mother are in my thoughts and prayers. Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X