If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another one year myectomy anniversary...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

pmurphy Find out more about pmurphy
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one year myectomy anniversary...

In the same spirit as Felix's post last week, today is the one year anniversary of our daughter Caitlyn's successful myectomy at Tufts/NEMC. We've been absent from the message board for some time (about 6 months, actually) while we took a therapeutic mental holiday but we're now happily back. Caitlyn, now 15, is doing great. She had always been blessed by minimal symptoms, but I think she really notices a difference now in how she feels compared to before. Before the surgery she had exhibited a high gradient (130s and 140s) while on 300 mgs. of Veralan PM (verapamil) with a septum that measured about 18mm. At her last checkup with her local ped. cardiologist her gradient was at 10 or below and her septum is at 12 mm. She is now on 25 mgs. of Toprol. She even did JV volleyball in 9th grade this Fall and it was a thrill for her to do some physical activities with her friends again after three years since her initial diagnosis. And, of course, being 15 now she is driving! Pass the beta-blockers to me! -just kidding...

It was good to take a break, but it is really nice to catch up with the message board again and see how the HCMA keeps growing exponentially! After taking last summer off, we are hoping to make it to the annual meeting in June and look forward to reacquainting with old friends and meeting some new ones.

I'm really glad to hear Caitlyn's doing so well! Thanks for checking in. I hope that I can meet in in June!

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I've been thinking about you all. I'm so glad Caitlyn is doing so well. I look forward to visiting in NJ, Linda

Comment

It is great to hear how wonderfull Caitlin is doing. Thank you for letting us hear from you . May she continue to feel great.

Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Thanks for all the nice comments and, whoops!- I just realized that I'd forgotten to sign my initial post!

Paul (and Elizabeth), parents of
          Caitlyn

Comment

glad to hear that kaitlin is doing so well!

We are also heading up to NJ for the conference, so at least 2 rep's from
            Atlanta will there...

Sandy

Comment

Paul and Elizabeth,

Glad to hear that Caitlyn is doing so well. A myectomy is a beautiful thing, ain't it? Thanks for posting on her one-year anniversary to let us know how she is doing!

Jim
              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

It is so good to hear the Caitlyn is doing so well. I was praying for her last year at the time of her surgery. I had my myectomy last March 18 at Cleveland Clinic and am also doing very well. I am 64 and am able to do many things I couldn't do before.

Ralph

Comment

Thank you, Ralph and Jim, for your comments as well. It was good to take a break, but it is really good to be back in touch with the message board and to hear of both your success stories of your myectomies and improvement! Although we opted for Boston for Caitlyn's surgery, both my wife and I went to college in Cleveland and know what a great place the Cleveland Clinic is. Their track record with HCM is absolutely first rate.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X