If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having Myectomy Done At Cleveland....Very Nervous

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

silverlux Find out more about silverlux
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HI everyone...Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. I've definitely had thoughts of cancelling the surgery altogerther. I'm finally feeling better from my disaster cath and now tomorrow morning (Tuesday), I'm going in for surgery and I'll be starting all over again!! Needless to say, my spirits are kinda down and I'm feeling very scared right now. Knowing that I'm in your thoughts and prayers truly helps me to get my mind through this whole ordeal.....I'll try to be strong and remember those who have gone before me and came out just fine! My mom will let you all know how I'm doing sometime tomorrow night, probably. Thanks again to all
    Had myectomy on March 1 2005 and was implanted w/an ICD on April 28 2005....please refer to me now as the Bionic Woman

Comment

Steph and Sally,

Our prayers are with you both! Dr. Lever is wonderful and I don't think you could have a better surgeon than Nick Smidera. I had my myectomy and a double by-pass last March 18th. The surgery was very well. I did have complications including a slight stroke 3 days after surgery, and than massive infection. I also needed a dual chamber pacemaker because of heart block so they had to clear the infection prior to inserting my permanent pacemaker so I could go home. I was in CICU 26 days and they are WONDERFUL! If I had to do it all over again, I'd walk in there TODAY. Even with all the problems I had, the results are fantastic. Many people were praying for me and my medical providers and I will do the same for you. The recovery is not that bad, and you will do just fine. At your age you have a real advantage. I am 64 and at my age I am doing very well.

Go with confidence that Nick Smidera is the best and his nurse Suzie is fantastic and will make sure you are doing well.

Sally or Steph, if you have any questions and would like to speak on the phone respond and I will email me telephone number.

Ralph

Comment

Sally , hang in there it is very tough on the moms. My mom cried a lot before I woke up after the surgery she said she had to get it out before i woke up so she could be strong for me. She was a rock . I did not learn how bad it wasfor her for sometime later.

Steph, soon the big part will all be done and you will just be doing the time to get to a stronger and improved state with much improved quality of life. Remember to aim for that 3rd day when you begin to have more control over everything and you have a stronger grasp over your recovery . Things do begin to turn around for the better on that day. Listen to a lot of music and watch tv , try to keep your mind from thinking about too much until you are back in control and did I tell you already 3rd day , remember it. Use your inspirometer, drink , drink and get up and moving as soon as possible.

Keep us posted. Thoughts and prayers.

Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I'll be thinking of both of you tonight and tomorrow morning especially. Just wishing you the very best, keep us posted.
          Lisa I.

Comment

Dau after surgery

Hi Everyone, Steph had her surgery yesterday morning at 7AM. The doctor called at 10:30 to say everytning went very well and they did not have to do the mitral valve! She is now (Wed., 11:30 AM ) being prepared to go to a room on the 8th floor! She is doing VERY well. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. We'll keep you postd on her progress.
            Had myectomy on March 1 2005 and was implanted w/an ICD on April 28 2005....please refer to me now as the Bionic Woman

Comment

I'm so thrilled to have an update and of one so positive! Please give her our continued support and all our best. Everyone hang in there - you're doing wonderfully!!

Lynn
              Lynn Stewart
              HOCM 4/2002
              Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

Sally,

What wonderful news! Steph was in my prayers this morning at church. She sounds like she is doing great. Keep up posted.

Ralph

Comment

Steph and Sally,

Wonderful news! Thank you for posting and letting us know everything went well. It only gets better from here! The nurses on the 8th floor are great and will take very good care of Steph. I was in room G80-07 there after my myectomy. Don't forget to help yourself to the ice cream. LoL. It's in the refrigerator in the nurses lounge.

The internet terminal is down the hall in the waiting area near the elevators so once Steph gets up and moving about, make sure she stops and posts to us! Walk, walk, walk... and use that inspirometer a lot, it really does help. If Steph needs help sleeping, they can give her a sleeping pill on top of her regular pain meds. They don't always tell you about it up front though, so be sure to ask.

Look forward to hearing from you again soon,

Jim
                  "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Oh Sally, I am so happy that Steph is doing so well.

I remember when I had my first myectomy I was only 20 yrs old. After the surgery, I walked out of the ICU. Being young when having the procedure done makes recovery a lot easier. I had my second myectomy when I was 48, what a difference.

I pray for a speedy recovery for Steph.

Please keep us updated on her progress.
                    Esther

Comment

Sally and Steph

Congradulations now it is all uphill from here and soon you will be running down that hill won't that be nice again to be able to run if you want

Shirley
                      Diagnosed 2003
                      Myectomy 2-23-2004
                      Husband: Ken
                      Son: John diagnosed 2004
                      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Thanks so much for the update. I'm glad to hear they didn't have to repair the mitral valve too. Tell her she's still in our thoughts and prayers and I sure hope she's feeling a LOT better soon.

Reenie
                        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Continued best wishes and prayers coming your way for a speedy and uneventful recovery! Linda

Comment

So happy to hear Steph is doing well . Keep us posted and tell her we are all wishing her well and a speedy recovery.

Pam
                            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

WONDERFUL NEWS...keep us posted on how the recovery is going...

Tigger1
                              " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

I am happy to hear Steph is doing well. She should start doing much more by later today. In a few more days she will be home and on her way to her post myectomy life!

Best wishes,
                                Lisa
                                Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                                YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                                lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                                Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                                Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                                Currently not obstructed
                                Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X