If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ablation Jan 26 2005

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Paul S Find out more about Paul S
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ablation Jan 26 2005

After many discussions with doctors and family, I finally signed up for an Ablation.

I am 40 years old, with no signs of heart disease, other than the HOCM. I had an angiogram 2 months ago, which laid out the map for the doctors and confirmed no Coronary Heart Disease.

I was on meds, which were helping the HOCM, also greatly affecting my life and mental health. Drowsiness, unable to function at work, and vivid dreams that I was unable to tell what is reality and what is a dream. Meds were changed and altered to experiment and find what works best for me.

Doctor Wigle insisted surgery had to be done now, not later, and continuing without intervention would prove to be a bad choice. The drugs were not improving my quality of life. We talked about the 2 surgery options of Myectomy vs Ablation. I chose Ablation, due to the less intrusive nature of it, and the quick recovery, getting back to work. If the Ablation shows not to succeed, then I will go back for the Myectomy. I had to try the new way first.

Ablation was an 8 day process in hospital.
    Check in with all sorts of routine test and an Echo showing a gradient of 85. Stop all meds.

Ablation on Day 3 in the morning. Temporary pace maker in the left leg. Surgery in the right leg, and another spike in the right arm (not quite sure what they did with that one). Surgery took 1.5 hours and my gradient went from 85 to 13.

Temporary pace maker came out 49 hours later, all seems fine, no need for a permanent one (I expected to receive a permanent pace maker, since that was the most common side effect for Ablations)

Echo on Day 5 showing a gradient of 50. Doctors explained the gradient will rebound up and down and needs 3-6 months to settle. The settle number is what they are banking success or failure on. I'm started on low dose of beta blocker (Monocor)

Echo on Day 8 shows a gradient of 23.

Day 8, I come home (WHEWWW) I love my own bed.

I am to continue with low dose Monocor for 3 months, follow up with local Cardio doc in 6 weeks, follow-up with family doc in 6 weeks, follow up with Ablation Cardio team in 3 months.

I can drive my car again on Saturday (Day 12)

I can return to work on Feb 14.

In summary, I FEEL GREAT! I can't remember a day of feeling so good, and its continuing. I walked up the stairs to bed, and did not have to catch my breath or sit on the side of the bed to rest. I'm looking forward to my active new life, yet I will take it easy and in stride to doctors orders.

So many doctors, performing so many roles.
    Doctor Wigle, the god of Myectomy and all knowing of HOCM.

Doctor Schwartz, performed the Ablation.

Doctor Woo, on the Ablation team, knows all the stats and goings on. My main contact for follow-up. I think she is training with Doctor Schwartz to specialize in this field.

All the doctors were great. They know their stuff, and always willing to answer my millions of questions.

The nursing staff at the hospital were also fantastic. They went over and beyond to make sure I was doing ok, along with their other patients.

My only complaint was being stuck in bed for 49 hours after the procedure. Then my new roomie came up, after they were stuck in bed for 3 weeks! My petty moans and groans of being stuck in bed were quickly extinguished when I had something to relate it to.

I'm glad to hear that you've been feeling a lot better. Keep us posted as you continue to heal.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Paul S

That is such great news!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is nice to hear people having the energy that they haven't had in soooo long

Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Its wonderful that everything is going great so far. Keep up the good recovery. I am going to see Dr.Wigle for the first time next week. Its reassuring to hear such great things about him.
        What was your septal measurement before and after the ablation? Are you doing cardiac rehab?

Hope all continues to go well, take care.

Pam
        It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Pam

That is such a sweet picture of your kids

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Thanks Shirley, I took it on the first day of school. My baby's first day of J/K---but then he became a kindergarten dropout.

Pam
            It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Pam I sent you a PM with some of my info with Wigle (all good )

Ops, edit to answer Pam's 2 questions.

Septal measurement was 21/17 (I think, is that the type of numbers you expected in a reply?)

No cardiac rehab required since HOCM was my only issue. With the Ablation, and lack of other complications and conditions, my restrictions are very minor and short term. I can't drive till the weekend, and I am not supposed to lift anything over 25lbs for 3 months.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X