If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 weeks since operation

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

maryflynn Find out more about maryflynn
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 weeks since operation

What up, I had a myectomy 2 weeks ago to cure my symptoms. I have lots of back and neck pain, but I feel okay. My question is.... When should I expect to feel the effects of the operation? When will I begin to feel better? Also.... for the folks who had the operation already, when did you guys go back to work/school? Im 17 and im getting really bored here at home, I want to go back to school. I had the operation at the St. Mary's hospital in Roddchester. ( please excuse me, im a terrible speller). It has been two weeks and I haven't felt any improvement in the symptoms. When will I feel better?!

Septal myectomy recovery

Mary,
    I had my myectomy in June. When I got home I was walking about a mile and a half. I was back to bike riding in about 7 weeks. It takes awhile and be patient. I am almost 7 months since my myectomy and I am still improving. You will probably be able to function pretty well after 6 to 8 weeks. I am 52 so you will probably recover a lot quicker. The rewards will come later. You experienced one of the most serious surgeries and it takes months to fully recover. I am just glad it is over and many times after the surgery I wondered if I made the right decision. I am totally sure that it was the right decision because before I had no life and now every day is better than the day before. So don't be discouraged. You are only experiencing the trauma of the surgery and shortly you will feel the benefits.

Comment

The first 2 weeks tend to be the hardest. Give yourself a little more time to heal. I would expect you should start feeling better within the next week. Are you getting up and around? You should try to walk as much as you can tolorate and push yourself to go a little further day by day.

Hey - Myectomy Crew - Chime in please and help this young man!

Take care all,
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Myectomy recovery

Mary, the neck and back pain last several weeks. It is really hard to take because you alread are soor all over. By a month or so you should be rid of most of it. If you can sleep hugging a pillow. That really helped me. The best drug I found to control the pain was aleve. That was my god send. I had used pain pills but they did not help near as much as the aleve. Just give yourself time. I am already planning on my bike riding during the spring. My doctor said that I look 10 to 15 years younger since I had the operation. I did not go through cardiac rehab but I would recommend it to you. You may have a depression after the surgery {which is totally normal} for some period of time. This is where cardiac rehab comes it. You realize you are not alone and there are days when you won't feel like getting up. But it is important to get as much structure in your life as soon as possible. So that is why I would recommend rehab.

Comment

Hi Dan,

First of all let me congratulate you on being 2 weeks post-op!

Re: getting back into life and not having pain, etc. I can't imagine how challenging this must be for you right now being 17 and in the midst of school and activities so I can fully respect your desire to 'get moving' without looking back!

However, while the spirit is willing the body needs some serious recuperation time. Since you are younger I would fully expect that you will no doubt bounce back faster than some of us that are older and have had the surgery. Unfortunately, no matter what age you have it, a myectomy is a very major surgery and your entire body was disturbed. Your back and neck no doubt are kinked up and hurting from all the 'wonderful' things they did while you were in surgery. Please know that this all takes time to work itself out. Making sure you get up & about as Lisa mentioned is definitely the key. And to help out with some of the general aches and pains, you might consider seeking a massage therapist to work on the shoulders, back and neck (of course you would need to sit in a massage chair for that, I can't fathom laying flat on your front side just yet but maybe you can!).

Re: the symptoms going away - hopefully some symptoms you had prior to the surgery are noticeably gone. But, just as I mentioned above, the rest takes time. Your body and heart are still trying to figure out what the heck happened two weeks ago. Some days you will feel better than others while you recup and then one day you'll get up and be going about your business and think, "hey, I've been feeling good for a while now". It can just 'sneak up' on you like that.

Every week of recuperation you have behind you will no doubt make you feel better and better. Please just remember that 6 weeks is the usually the minimum to allow our bodies to do just the greatest portion of healing.

If you are bored and frustrated by the time you are having to be 'laid up' it would certainly be understandable. At 17 I remember the aggravation of just having to stop for a cold or something; I can only imagine how anxious you are to get back to your life!! Hang in there, and soon enough you'll be so busy your friends won't know how to keep up!

Take care and BTW, you're my hero for having this surgery at 17!
          L
          Lynn Stewart
          HOCM 4/2002
          Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

You may want to post this same question in “The Hang Out” so you can get some answers from people who are closer to your age.
            I had a Myectomy almost a year ago at age 45.
            It took two weeks before I could feel daily improvement.
            I was back at work part time in 6 weeks, and full time in 8. At 10 weeks out I was able to chase after my two kids at Disney World.
            Walking is the key to a quick recovery, but I see that you’re in Wisconsin. Do you have a treadmill?
            I will concur that some of your boredom, and some of your depression are directly related to post operative symptoms. That heart/lung machine can do some real damage to your psyche. But it’s a physical thing, not a mental one. Slowly, this goes away.
            Fx

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for all your thoughtful posts. They are very helpful. I am not mary, that is my mother. I am Dan, a 17 year old guy! I should have wrote that. HOpefully I will start feeling better soon. My cardiologist told me that I could go back to school after 4 weeks, so I can't wait. I will try to walk more, but my doctor told me to rest. My gradient before the surgery at rest was 112 before the operation and after it was at 30 and the doctor said it would go down even more after my heart heals. So if the gradient went down that much, I would guess that the symptoms would improve also. Is this an accurate assumption? Thanks again.

--Dan

Comment

Recovery from septal myectomy

Dan, you will have improvement everyday. The symptoms take several weeks to go away before that your heart is doing some major recovery. Most of the symptoms you have are now from the weakness from the surgery. I had some short ness of breath in the beginning but as the weeks go bye most of the symptoms will disappear. Remember the myectomy is not a cure. It relieves the symptoms from the obstruction but you will always have the disease because we all have problems with diastolic dysfunction which can change the course of the disease. You are lucky that you are young and will recover much quicker than us old farts lol.

Comment

Dan,

My myectomy was May 05. I spent 10 days in the hospital. Effects from the chest are what I felt the most. I also couldn't get used to sleeping on my back. You have your age on your side, I'm 50. Walk as much as you can and drink lots of water.

You will start feeling better and better each day. Do what your Dr. says. I stopped taking anything for pain after 4 weeks. I didn't have much, just more discomfort than anything. I went thru 12 weeks of rehab. It helped alot. But at 50 I was still the youngest in the class. I kick everyone else's butt. I wasn't aloud to return to work for 3 months.

At 6 months, my Doc told me I was in as good of shape as any 25 yr old. I could feel it. The best part was that I didn't miss one day of hunting season.

Congratulation on your successful oper.

Tigger1
                  " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Hi Dan,

Where in Wisconsin are you? We are also from Wisconsin near Eau Claire. My son is 15 now and has HCM.

Andrew had his myectomy when he was 6 and I was totally floored at how quickly he recovered! Out of the hospital in 6 days and completely back to all usual activities in 6 weeks! Yes, the first 2-3 weeks were slow and uncomfortable, but once he got over that hill the rest came quickly. I am sure you will be reaching that point soon also. It seems the younger ones recover much quicker!

I will never forget the night I was tucking him in bed a few weeks after his myectomy and he looked at me and said "Mom, I can't believe how good it feels to be able to BREATH!" with a huge smile on his face Apparently he had never really been able to breath well while laying down, but never realized that was not "normal" until he actually felt what normal breathing is like. You too will start feeling some of those type benefits of the myectomy with time!

Best wishes for a quick recovery!
                    Dolly~
                    mom to Andrew(HCM) 21 years old
                    Diagnosed \'95 age 5
                    Myectomy \'96 age 6
                    ICD implant \'99 age 9
                    First ICD shock (X2) \'04
                    ICD replacement surgery \'05 age 15

*And aunt to 7 year old Kenny who had HCM and suffered sudden death in gym class. (2/20/87 - 4/6/94)

Comment

Thank you all for your thoughtful inquries. It has now been 4 weeks and 1 day and I went back to school after 3 weeks and 2 days. I feel great. My doc. tells me that at 6 weeks I can resume my regular activities ( driving, hanging out with freinds, EATING WHATEVER I WISH!) This low sodium diet is driving me crazy. I have lost 25 lbs. I am like a walking set of bones it is kind of gross. Everyone is very interrested in seeing my scar. I can't wait to put all this behind me and start where I left off a month ago. My gradient at rest before surgery was 112. After it was 30. Is this gradient higher than what it will eventually be because of swelling, or will it generally stay at 30? And is 30 going to be low enough to keep the symptoms away? Thanks again---Dan

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                      X