If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post-myectomy cold/flu advice please?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reenie
    replied
    Oh Jim. I'm sorry. The inhaler might make you breathe better, though, if you're wheezing some too. If you have bronchitis it will definitely help. Keep us posted on your progress and do take care of yourself.

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied
    Hi all,

Went to the ER... my incision is indeed tearing because of the strain from the coughing, and i have developed a ventral (or incisional) hernia just below the sternum, which is now bulging out quite nicely. Who'd have thunk it at seven months post-myectomy huh? I need to give Cleveland a call right away and find out what i'm supposed to do about this, as it can continue to tear if left unrepaired. In the meantime... i guess i'll have to find my little cough pillow again.

The doctor who saw me at the ER was a real gem who i didn't like or trust from the moment he opened his mouth. He prescribed me erythromycin for infection... and for my cough... he prescribed me an albuterol inhaler??? I've never heard of this for a cough. In fact i'm not even sure that HCM'ers are supposed to use albuterol are we? I don't have asthma or difficulty breathing, i just have a freaking cough!?

I should have known i couldn't go more than six months without some kind of bullsh*t happening. Now i get to go have another operation.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied
    Thanks everyone,

I appreciate the advice. I don't have class tomorrow so i guess i'll trod on over to the doc in the morning. I'm really not all that concerned except for the possible effects on my myectomy. It's reassuring to hear that i'm probably doing no harm in that respect, but it certainly won't hurt to have it checked out.

Doug, i was not able to get the flu shot this year... but i did get the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine which has helped quite a bit. I'd normally have gotten several ear infections by now, especially with this cold, but alas i've had none. It is one of the pleasant side-effects of the vaccine, and i've read that it is being given to young children for that very purpose.

Take care,

Jim

Leave a comment:

• LynnS
    replied
    Hey Jim,

I'm echoing everyone else that you should go to the doctor to see if there is anything additional you can be doing for the coughing or if you do need antibiotics.

However, relating to your concerns about 'undoing' the work of the good doctors from CCF, I would imagine you're probably normal (but don't quote me on that ). Those sternal wires are pretty tough and your sternum should be healing quite nicely. Why does it hurt then? Well, you are 7 months post-op but then again you are ONLY 7 months post-op. Still a bunch of healing going on in there and you may find that occasionally during this process of fully healing over a year that you have periods of pain, twinges, etc. Every once and I while I get them too...particularly if my daughter climbs on me roughly or if one of my cats decides to 'knead' on me right on top of a wire. I would imagine that your heart beating like it did in the 'old days' is probably because you are run down and sick; it taxes the entire system and of course the heart then carries the burden.

In other words...fix the cough and you'll probably fix everything else too!

Now off w/ ya' to the doc and let us know how you're doing!!
    Take care,
    L

Leave a comment:

• dughr
    replied
    Just thought of it...did you get a flu shot Jim?

I had a tough time getting one but finally did. We are all in the higher risk group here.

Doug

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied
    Yes Jim GO

Ken came back from Jersey with the oil spill up there and is very sick and if he doesn't get over it soon i'm making him go to the doctor too be well my friend

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• dughr
    replied
    Jim,

The consensus is in...go.

Let us know.

Doug

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied
    Yes Jim , GO TO THE DOCTORS!!!. I too have just started with a cold I hope it does not turn out like yours. I have had problems with the chest area hurting when I have had coughing in the past. I think myectomy people will be sensitive to traumas for quite some time in the area of rib cartilage and such. Lets not forget how we tend to get a little arthritic in areas that have been traumatized. I think a myectomy was traumatizing to the chest walls.

Hope you get the right treatment and soon. What do you think you are super man since the myectomy?

Feel better soon.

Pam

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    There is a severe cold hitting the north east and I am not talking temperatures here! It even made the national news. In NJ people are heading to the ER's in record numbers as they are sure something more serious must be wrong with them. This "cold" hangs on for weeks -it has a harsh cough and a great deal of congestion. In many cases the congestion is leading to secondary infections. Those of us with serious medical problems need to take care not to allow this "cold" to get out of control!

Jim - off to the doctors with you my dear!

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Linda
    replied
    Jim, you really should see someone if just for an effective Rx cough med. You prob won't undo anything, but the healing is still in progress and you may be more prone to inflamation in those areas of surgical scar. That could cause the chest pain. You may need some meds for inflamation. You could also accumulate some fluid in the sac surrounding the lungs or the sac surrounding the heart this soon after surgery. Let's hope not, but why take chances? Let's hope you can resolve it quickly, but you're right, don't complicate Dr Lytle's handiwork unnecessarily. Good luck, let us know. Linda

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    started a topic Post-myectomy cold/flu advice please?

Post-myectomy cold/flu advice please?

Hi All,

Sorry to post something so minor but i could use some advice here.

I've had a bad cold for about three weeks now that i just can't seem to shake, and this thing is kicking the living crap out of me. I've just been treating it like a regular cold and not made much of a deal out of it, but i'll be darned if i didn't start having sternum pain again yesterday. This concerns me since i haven't had any pain like that for months and months. I'm seven months post-myectomy now and have considered myself fully recovered for the most part.

Is there any possibility that all of this violent coughing may actually undo something here? I've had several coughing fits that lasted long enough that i started to pass out, and i've been feeling the ol' ticker beating hard like it used to in the old days which is rather disheartening. I'm really hoping that this is all just because i'm run down, and nothing more serious than that... but i thought i'd check in with the myectomy veterans here anyway. There's a chance that this is actually bronchitis i have, since other family members i visited over the holidays now have it.

I can't tell you how much i don't want to go see a doctor right now. This is the longest stretch i've had in years without getting a needle poked in my arm, and quite frankly i'm rather enjoying it! LoL.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated, especially related to the myectomy. I really don't want to undo any of Dr. Lytle's fine work.

Thanks,

Jim

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X