If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post-myectomy cold/flu advice please?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim,

I am so sorry that this has happened. I can tell you though that it can happen a lot longer than seven months post surgery. So, next time, take heed. My sister developed a large hernia two years post abdominal surgery and then another one a year or two after that. Scar tissue is never as stong as normal, so care is always advisable.

Also, about the albuterol, it is logical to try it, if you are wheezing, I think. But, watch for heart responses. I had 30 minutes of chest pain after using one last year, so I will not try again. The allergist switched me to a slower-acting inhaler.

I will pray that this will not be as bad as it sounds!

Rhoda

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for the concern and advice. You folks are great.

The erythromycin and albuterol inhaler are actually working wonders on the bronchitis. Dr. Lever okayed the meds, and in just two days i already feel pretty fantastic.

The hernia isn't an emergency unless it perforates, so i'm aiming to have it repaired over spring break. By comparison with everything else, a simple repair job like this should be a walk in the park... in and out. I did kind of hope i'd get through ONE year without any surgeries. Five years... five surgeries... eeek! My family likes to joke that at the rate i'm losing internal organs and tissue, by the time i'm 60 there's going to be nothing left of me but a talking head in a jar that they have to carry around with them. LoL.

At any rate, as long as i keep poking my innards back where they belong, i'm in good shape until March. I'm going to see if my local doc can rig me up something to wear around my chest to hold things together in the meantime.

Rhoda... how are you feeling? I hope the CHF and pneumonia are clearing up and that you are back on your feet and enjoying life.

Jim
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Hi Jim
        I'm sorry to hear that you are going through so much at one time. Get plenty of rest and HUG that pillow when you cough. It was my best buddy right after surgery.

Please keep in tough. You know us, we worry about members of our community.

Take care
        Esther

Comment

Originally posted by mtlieb
          My family likes to joke that at the rate i'm losing internal organs and tissue, by the time i'm 60 there's going to be nothing left of me but a talking head in a jar that they have to carry around with them. LoL. Jim
          Have they been watching too much Futurama??

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Jim

I hope you are doing better i have been sick and just now feeling like i might live, boy you must have been really coughing to get a hernia or was it that you have been coughing for a long time good luck in the repair you really need to take it easy, that education isn't going to be worth a darn if you can't get out of bed

Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004
            Husband: Ken
            Son: John diagnosed 2004
            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

JIm ,

You take it easy buddy no perforating of hernias allowed! If it is any comfort to you I have had a hernia , good size for 18 years. When my son who had been 11 lbs 1/2 oz was born, of course they did a c- section!! It had been 8 weeks post section , I fell on the rocks in Newport , broke my arm and got the hernia in the incision site. Ain't pretty but I have lived with it that long . Just take care .

Pam
              Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
              Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
              Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
              SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
              [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
              Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
              Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
              Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Jim,

Hang in there buddy. Sounds like a great way to spend Spring Break. It beats the heck out of Fla. and all that sun and skin...

Tigger1
                " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Rhoda... I'm such a dork!!

I have spent the better part of a week with some of the worst chest pain i have ever had... even worse than what i had prior to myectomy. I haven't slept, my left arm has been going numb, i've had runs of tachycardia just like the old days, and i missed two days of classes on top of everything. And ALL the while... here i am using my little Albuterol inhaler the doctor gave me for the bronchitis... not thinking anything of it. LOL. Please feel free to slap me upside the head first chance you get, okay?

Well of course at some point today the lightbulb finally went off (after almost a week). I remembered Rhoda's advice about the Albuterol, stopped using it immediately, and the rest of the story i'm sure you've guessed. No more chest pain.

I'm blaming it all on myectomy-induced memory loss!

Jim
                  "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

UFF DA!

Jim what were you thinking - or should I say NOT thinking

Take care of yourself before you drive me to drink

Big hugs!!!
                    Lisa
                    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                    Currently not obstructed
                    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Oh Boy! You take care, Jim. Lisa can't take much more of your ills.

Reenie
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hey, Jim,

I am just glad you figured it out! Without an ICD I think it could have been dangerous.

Rhoda

Comment

Working...
                        X