If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9 weeks post myectomy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

saphire947 Find out more about saphire947
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 weeks post myectomy

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for all you support and prayers during my recent surgery. My myectomy was a complete sucess, but I ended up back in the hospital four days after discharge with pneumonia and CHF. After 10 days of IV antibiotics and Heparin, I was sent home still on O2 with 10 more days of antibiotics. After a second 10 day course of antibiotics my lungs are finally clear and I feel human again. I am no longer experiencing any of the disabling symptoms I had before the surgery. No SOB, no tachycardia, no discomfort after my evening meal, no fluid retention. I have even lost 15 pounds. I went back to see Dr. Rastegar last month and was taken off of all my meds except Lopressor. My gradient which was about 70 prior to surgery is now 11. Other than some residual fatique, I feel better than I have in years.

I want to give a special thank you to Pam for all her expert advice prior to my surgery. Because of the time Pam spent sharing her experience, I was able to go into surgery completely relaxed. The team at NEMC was fantastic. While I was being prepped , each person answered my questions. I was given an explanation about how the heart-lung machine would be attached and what to expect when I woke up. After the A-line was inserted and sutured in, they told me it was time to go to sleep. Can you believe the walls in the OR are pink? I was used to the institutional green. A couple of deep breathes and I was waking up in the CICU.
    Pam's advice to ask for plenty of ice chips was great. I hardly had any discomfort from the endo tube.

Am I glad I had the surgery? Absolutely. Would I recommend it to others? Yes. The quality of my life is so much better, better than I could have ever imagined. Dr Rastegar is a very gifted surgeon. Again, thank you all.

Marilyn
    Marilyn

Re: 9 weeks post myectomy

Wonderful news!!!!

Rhoda

Comment

Marilyn,

Good to hear everything is going well. It will be seven months on friday since my myectomy. I can tell you that each day gets better and better. I never thought that I would ever feel this good again. Do what your Dr. tells you to do and get lots and lots of exercise.

I to am on Lopressor and probably will always be. But it could always be worse.

Stay in touch and stay on the road to a good recovery...

Tigger1
      " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

I'm so glad to hear that you're better! I hope that the rest of your recovery is smoother than the last few weeks.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Marilyn ,

You are welcome but no thanks is necessary, I was glad to help. I sent you a pm . Glad you are back posting with us.

Continue doing well.

Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Marilyn,

It only gets better.

Welcome to the Myectomy Club.

Stuart
            Cleveland Myectomy Club
            August 31, 2004

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...