If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myectomy scheduled for Cleveland Clinic Dec 9

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

ejm2000 Find out more about ejm2000
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Myectomy scheduled for Cleveland Clinic Dec 9

I have offered a prayer on Edwin's behalf and will continue to check in and pray throughout the day.
    Peace,

Leon
    God Squad co-moderator
    Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Thank you Leon.

I am sure Edwin and his family are very greatfull for the HCMA support and special prayers during this "waiting time".

Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I just read your update that Edwin won't need a permanent pacemaker! I'm so happy for you and I'm sure that all of the prayers on his behalf have been heard and answered. I look forward to more updates soon.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hey everyone, Edwn here -- 50 hours later

Thanks for your continued prayers, as we continue to pray for all the HCMers.

Smedira says my max, max, max gradient to they were able to create in the OR ( under conditions that were hard to create in real life was only 20mmHG post surgery

Before it was 112mmmHG with just a little activity. No mitral repair needed.

BTW oh yeah:
          OOOOOUUUUGHH-- yeah --- OUUUUCHHHHHH!!!

The worst pain was the three chest tubes, hard to breathe deeply. They pulled those yesterday. Yes , myectomy vets, the sternum pain far outways the heart pain. Interesting to see a more normal heart monitor. I've been taking my post surgery laundry lists of medicines.. LASIX, Cordace (stool softener), aspirin, lopressor, percetec (sp?)

I'm still on O2 in the room, they tried to take me off this morning, and starting seeing stars (dizzy).. I've been trying to breath and cough.

Oh well better get some more rest. It's a long road ahead, thanks for your continued prayers.

Take care & God Bless
          Edwin

Comment

Edwin, we continue to pray for a speedy and uncomplicated recovery. Linda

Comment

We will pray for a speedy recovery. My husband is scheduled for a myectomy on Dec 29. Thank you for the info on how you feel afterwards this way we know what to expect. We have the same surgeon

Joe and Lea
              Joseph D. Bethge

Comment

Glad all is going well.
                Keep walking a doing those breathing things.

Welcome to the MYECTOMY CLUB.

Stuart
                Cleveland Myectomy Club
                August 31, 2004

Comment

Edwin,

Glad to hear all is going well. Watch those sneezes. They can be killers. When you feel one coming on squeeze your upper lip very tightly . You will be able to get many to pass by this way. Because the vagal nerve travels across the upper lip you are able to interupt this process with a great deal of success.

Keep doing well.

Pam
                  Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                  Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                  Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                  SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                  [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                  Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                  Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                  Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Edwin,

I've been checking both here and at the patient website, and am so happy to see that everything has gone so well for you. Percocets are a wonderful thing. And by the way... you bet it doesn't count if you post to us from your room... we want to see you up and walking around! LoL.

Take care, and a smooth recovery to you

Jim
                    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I'm so happy to see you on here! I will continue to keep you and LeSans in my prayers.

Reenie
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

I'll pray for you JOE AND LEA for your Dec 29 myoemtomy. Thanks to everyone for your continued prayers, as we will continue praying for you.

Getting used to some of the new medications. Found out that I'm a lightweight with pain relievers, I guess I don't need that many.
                        I've been using Darvacets (sp?) , Percocets made me nauseated

Off of O2, and trying to take deep breaths and cough.

I'm still having trouble eating which you all and docters says is normal. I'm up to about 40% of my hosptal rations. Man, that CCF cafe is terrible. But we don't come for the food.

Pam, Thanks for the advice about the sneezes , just the burps were bad enough

Today Did two slow laps around the floor. I'll try one more later tonight, after my nap .

Edwin

Comment

Edwin,

Great to hear that things are going well. I told you that myectomy thing was a piece of cake. It's the recovery that has the real kick. Get up and walk and don't forget your breathing exercises.

Let us all know when your taste buds come back and the lack of short term memory is gone.

Oh the myectomy, I love it...

Tigger1
                          " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Hi Tigger1,

Thanks for all your prayers and advice.

Especially the heads up about the vampires that collect blood and check your weight every morning at CCF.

I'm back home in Pittsburgh watching the snow. Doing laps around the house and doing the breathing exercises.

I had a surprise sneeze yesterday (dust?) , OUCH!!!!. You guys did warn me.

Thanks for your continued prayers.
                            Edwin

Comment

Oh yeah,

My taste seems about the same, once I was able to keep the food down.

Memory:
                              You guys made me so paranoid about my memory, I woke up in the ICU trying to recite passwords, doing the alphabet , math games, and trivia.

I figured if walking helped the body, mental exercises might help the brain.

The pain killers made it hard to concentrate, but it seemed to get better over the next few days.

Edwin

Comment

I'm so glad to hear that you're doing so well!

Reenie
                                Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X