If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Depression after septal myectomy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

patkir Find out more about patkir
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depression after septal myectomy

I was wondering if others have experienced depression after surgery. I had a septal myectomy in mid-June. I did not experience post op depression for about six weeks after surgery. I had excellent results from my surgery so that is not a factor. I just find my concentration and memory are not what they should be and I generally feel blah. I have been put on anti-depressant meds but they have not kicked in as of yet. I thought when I got through the initial few weeks without a depressive incident that I was home free. Can anyone share their experience.

Re: Depression after septal myectomy

Patkir

I'm not an expert but when i had my myectomey 8 months ago, i experienced the same thing and my cardio doc said that it is common after a major surgery to have some degree of depression, but the memory loss is usually due to the heart lung machine and the confusion also is due to it, i asked the doc when that would return and he said it could take up to a year for that to improve, but it has gotten better not totally yet but better

I hope this helps

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

I second what Shirley said. That fuzzieness from the heart/lung was very disconcerning.
      I was unable to read and unable to write (and since I'm a technical writer these days, that wasn't good).
      It all cleared up around 2 months out, but Shirley is correct when she says that it can take a year.
      Fx

Comment

I'm so glad this thread was started...

My myectomy was in June, so i'm a bit over four months now... but i still have problems at school sometimes with concentrating and retaining information. When i'm reading, i often have to go over the text two or three times before it finally sinks in. I realize some of this is due to the beta blockers as well, but it has been noticeably worse since the myectomy. I'm glad i'm not the only one!

Thanks,

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Thanks everybody. I really did not know what was happening. I did so well after the surgery and then the depression came on very slowly. I realized that it is common right after the surgery but I had a delayed reaction. I just have to hold on until it passes but it is frustrating when I can do so good physically but nothing cheers me up. I am normally very outgoing but it is an effort to be around people.

Comment

Patkir, My myectomy was in May 04. I had very little depression and that was when I was in the hospital. But the memory and concentration have gone down the toilet. I was really worried for awhile.

My recovery has been great except for my memory...

Tigger1
            " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

I dont know if any of you watched the Clinton interview on Primetime
              last night, but this was actually mentioned. Even though Clinton had
              a different type of open heart surgery, he was still on the heart/lung
              machine, he still had a cough pillow, and still had the same post opt
              stuff as a myectomy in many respects. He even mentioned when the
              tubes get pulled out.

At one point the issue of memory loss, depression, etc was brought
              up and how it could last up to year. he mentioned talking to someone
              who had the memory loss part of it for that long.

I thought the interview was pretty informative after having watched
              my husband go thru this.

Comment

Yes I agree Sandy ,there were some flashes from the past hearing what Mr. Clinton had to share about depression and memory problems post open heart surgery.
                I can relate , still have problems one year later. My kids still say , "What did you just say?" I am still making up words or calling things by their wrong name. Today I looked at my daughters sugar daddy and said, " oh a daddy long legs."

I wonder if some day as they learn more about everything like how there may be certain triggers to HCM and not everyone who is exposed to the same triggers developes the disease. As with some people who may have a problem or certain propensity to a memory problem may be more susceptible to memory problems post certain triggers, like anesthesia etc. I say this because also in the news today it was reported that our reaction to stress releases a hormone in the brain that impedes short term memory .

When I was involved with children who underwent traumatic situations , it was always believed that the trauma effected their nervous systems in such a way that they would develope differently had they not experienced the trauma. Makes a lot of sense as we are all very different and experience many different things in life.

Ok I am done rambling , have agood one.
                Pam
                Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X