If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cardiac catherization arterial

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

dreamcatchinglady Find out more about dreamcatchinglady
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cardiac catherization arterial

Hello everyone. Well saturday is my big day I go in to the hospital and start iv therapy and heart transplant tests to see if I am eligible for a new heart. I also get a cardiac catherization. I have had two of them before but never the catheter in the neck and that is the kind they are giving me. Can anyone give me info on that thanks so much. Take care everyone.
    Kimberly K. Plaster

Re: cardiac catherization arterial

Kimberly, You will be in my thoughts and prayers, please keep us posted. Linda

Comment

Kimberly

I have never had a heart cath through my neck before but.....i have had open heart surgery had a cathader inserted in my neck and all i felt was a little pressure usually they knock you out before they do this but i would not let them knock me out until my son got there

they said they had to put it in so i was awake for it and it did not hurt a bit

Good Luck Saturday and hope everything comes out ok

Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Kimberly,

I will pray that you get a good report and that everything goes well in the catherization, the IV therapy, and eventually the transplant.

As I recall, when I had a radioablation last year, the doctor told me that they had to go in through a neck vein once they located the problem and that at that point I would have to be put further to sleep. So, I remember nothing from that point on and other than a small bruise on my neck, there was no other sign that they had done anything from there. It was so nothing that I always wondered if they really did this. I hope yours goes as smoothly!

Rhoda

Comment

Good luck -
          I have never had a cath in the neck - but I did have an IV in my neck - the thought of it is worse then the actual event. It was really no big deal.

Take care!
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hi Kimberly,
            I have nineteen years of history with cath’s of many kinds. They’ve checked my heart, my lungs, my carotids, my renal’s, my iliac’s, and who knows what else. They have always gone in through my femoral arteries though. The last few times my right side was so blocked up they had to go in on the left side, and when they did my iliac arteries they went in at the base of my abdomen somewhat north of the crease of my legs.

Back in 1985 the procedure was relatively new and they took extraordinary precautions, but today the procedure is routine, safe and much more developed. I think you will find it a big nothing experience, although I am glad to hear they are moving forward in getting you fixed up properly.

Take care, enjoy what little time they give you to recuperate, and please keep us posted.
            Burt

Comment

Hi Kimberly,

The important thing here is that you are going to get ready and set for a transplant if you are able.

There are a lot of uncomfortable procedures to endur along the way to getting a new haert and in the actual transplant. Everyone is different and feels and deals different. I too had the cluster of IV access paraphanalia inserted in my neck for the myectomy procedure. The worst for me was the little bee sting for the numbing, then you don't know it is there. Even after surgery a few days with the dangly accoutement was just annoying for me but not painfull in the least.

Like eveyone else has said it is more the thought then the actual neck IV that is what you have to get past. Our big ole brains can lead us to over think things like these .

What I always try to do is focus on a song or idea etc. when I am actually going through something that I have worked myself up over.

Hope this helps, we are all here so hope our sharing helps you. You are a strong person and you will do fine I am sure.

Pam
              Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
              Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
              Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
              SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
              [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
              Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
              Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
              Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hi Kimberly
                Good Luck with all your approaching tests & eventual Heart Transplant! My last Cath was thru my neck & it didn't feel any differently (my surprize) You'll be in LaLa Land, but the thought is sure scary! It's easy for us to tell you "don't worry, it's a no brainer", but tuff for you. I know that all too well. Just tell yourself, in the big picture of things to come, this really is minor (I have other thoughts to share with you, for the big event). When they remove the "line" your neck will be a little sore, for a few days, but after a regulzar cath your groin is sore. I'm always so relieved, after the cath, that the discomfort is nothing & I'm sure you'll feel the same!
                GOOD LUCK saturday.
                dON'T FORGET TO "POST" WHEN YOU'RE FEELING UP TO IT!
                RONNIE

Comment

Hi Kimberly,

Hope you did ok with your procedures yesterday. Let us know how you are soon!

Debbie

Comment

Working...
                  X