If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 days post Myectomy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Stuart Schwartz Find out more about Stuart Schwartz
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 days post Myectomy

Today is day 4 and I am doing pretty good.
    Very little pain. Still on a little O2.
    Still have a slight fever, I may get out Tomorrow.

Good hearing from all of you.

Stuart Schwartz
    Cleveland Myectomy Club
    August 31, 2004

Re: 4 days post Myectomy

Hey! You are feeling well enough to start a new string! It is great to hear from you!

Take care!!
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Stuart,

We all couldn't be happier to hear from you. You are doing great, buddy! I left a post on the other thread regarding your prescriptions, so take a look when you get a chance, or ask Barbara to do so.

Now that you're through all the tough parts... was it as bad as you thought it would be? Aside from the ventilator tube (which we all find a bit difficult to deal with), i have to admit one of the wierdest parts for me was when they removed the copper wires. LoL. Perhaps it was mostly all in my head, but feeling those two little wires tugging on my heart as they were snagging them off was a very strange sensation.

We're all so glad that you're doing so well. The worst is behind you now!

Take care,

Jim
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Stuart,

Great to hear from you. Glad to hear your doing OK. Don't forget to walk and walk and walk. And when your done take a little walk. Believe me you will feel better...

Tigger1
        " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

So, it's Sunday - day 5.

Took a sleeping pill a little after midnight. Got a good 3-1/2 hrs. sleep.
          Just up taking a walk. Not hard to get on the computer at 4:30AM.
          I was thinking about walking over to the hotel and sleeping in a real bed.

Lisa,
          Yes a second thread. The first was about surgery -
          THIS IS ABOUT RECOVERY & FEELING GOOD.

Jim,
          as for perscriptions, I checked on that back home & my local has no problem filling an out of state. But if I get out today - Sunday - I will be staying out here in the hotel for a few days before I head back home.
          Didn't want to go home on Labor Day weekend (if I needed a doctor or a hospital this is the best place if your up for staying a few extra days).

Stuart
          Cleveland Myectomy Club
          August 31, 2004

Comment

Hi, Stuart,
            I'm up here, since it is 5 something pm in Beijing, so thought I'd respond with a "Congratulations and prayers for the 'RECOVERY AND FEELING GOOD' to be uncomplicated and speedy." I hope today goes well for you and you get sprung from there.
            Rhoda

Comment

Stuart,
              So glad to see you posting and that you are walking around. Hospital sleep is very tough on one. That's why hospitals are just for when you really need them so get out of there today and enjoy your self resting undisturbed in the hotel. The rest will help you be ready for the trip home Wed. It was a good decision to stay until the holiday is over. Enjoy your first holiday with your newly renovated heart and don't LABOR much toDAY. Sorry Stuart I could not resist the play on words. I am a little sleep deprived and I get silly when I am
              Take Care. Pam
              Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
              Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
              Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
              SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
              [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
              Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
              Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
              Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Stuart,

3 1/2 hours in a row was a good nights sleep. Giving blood at 4:00 am, being weighed at 5:00 am and Drs. coming in from 6:00 am on. And they wonder why you feel bad in a hospital.

Good to hear your doing better each day...

Tigger1
                " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

If anyone has gotten a good night of sleep in a hospital - that is news to me!

you will get some rest at home - be well

best wishes,
                  Lisa
                  Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                  YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                  lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                  Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                  Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                  Currently not obstructed
                  Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hey guys,
                    I almost always get a good night’s sleep in the hospital – piecemeal, but good. Seems like they wake you up every hour or so for; blood tests, EKG’s, x-rays, vitals, changing linen, cleaning and miscellaneous other crap, but I usually am back asleep before they are out the door. (I think they schedule them on a rotating basis.)

The trick is, I get a private room and turn on the TV - low. That’s about the strongest narcotic I know of. I catch a piece of Jeopardy, a piece of something or other later on, a piece of Jay Leno, and maybe a piece of an old movie in the wee hours.

Another trick I use is somewhere between ten and two I ask for, and get, a turkey sandwich and a fruit drink. That good old turkey combines with a satisfied tummy and they could tear the building down around me for all I’d care.

All in all, I find hospitals a very restful place indeed.
                    Burt

Comment

Hi Guys, Barbara in for Stuart. Well, we are back in the hotel, (big sigh). Stuart was released about 1:00. It is remarkable to me that he has no chest pain. He has a minor pain in his shoulder. Only taking tylenol so far once today. He gets exhausted quickly but that's about the extent of his "problems". He loves to talk and gets winded quickly. (but good for oxygination, is that a word?) And now I can get a word in edgewise, well almost. lol You guys have been invaluable with your comments ,support and information. If I knew how to put those smiley things in I would. I will keep you posted on Stuarts recovery as time goes on. I am sure you will be hearing from him. He is busy gabbing on the cell phone to all our friends and family. Signing off Barbara
                      Cleveland Myectomy Club
                      August 31, 2004

Comment

Stuart

That is great news, now that you are out of the hospital i'm sure you will improve daily....keep up the great job buddy

Shirley
                        Diagnosed 2003
                        Myectomy 2-23-2004
                        Husband: Ken
                        Son: John diagnosed 2004
                        Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Woo Hoo!

Stuart and Barbara... great news! Enjoy your freedom, treat yourselves to room service, watch old movies on TV, relax and get some much needed sleep! I'm so happy for both of you.

Jim
                          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Barbara, thanks for posting , say hi to Stuart.
                            I thought I would give you some help. Was it smiley faces you wanted?Here goes.
                            PS: whenever you want to put one in you just click on one as many times as you want one to appear. Trust me I just learned and now I am playing too much
                            Best Wishes
                            Pam
                            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hi all

It’s me – STUART

I see Barbara told you I got out released yesterday morning.

So am I the first to over do it the day you get out???
                              Yesterday was so so. I overdid it and with no food to talk of in 5 days…
                              I’m not one to sit. So here’s the trick. I got a wheelchair and I use that to make the escape to park area. Then I take my 10 minute walk. We head back to the hotel & if I feel like I need to sit down, Barbara is right there with the wheelchair.

Today is Monday & I found out at breakfast that the body needs food!
                              Now pacing it better today than yesterday.

Rhoda,
                              I’m glad to know that I was not the only one up at 5:00. You should
                              have stopped by. How far is it to Cleveland from Beijing?

Patrick,
                              Nothing has changed. Blood by 4:30. They still wheel the scale in at
                              5:00. Then they let you close your eyes. Just so they can wake you
                              again. **BUT** If your out walking at 4:30am they come to you in
                              the lobby. Try it next time, it works.

Shirley,
                              Improve daily? I’m back to work & I think I’ll cut the grass
                              tomorrow when I get home.

Burt,
                              I thought it was Jack Danials?

Jim,
                              I have not eaten very much. Just not hungry.
                              That’s right, you’re the one that didn’t miss a meal.

Pam,
                              Thanks for the smilies. It is a different look than the ones I have
                              been getting from time to time from Barbara over the last 6
                              days.(lol) Surgery must be tough for the spouce.

Sandy & Filix,
                              Heard from you guys last week. I hope your out enjoying the kids
                              this Labor Day Weekend.
                              Reenie, Linda, Betsy, Ange, Patrick L. & anyone I left out..
                              Thanks for being there.

AND THEN THERE’S LISA
                              What can I say that hasn’t been said or thought by ALL OF US?
                              (Come on guys, jump in and help me with this one)
                              Cleveland Myectomy Club
                              August 31, 2004

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X