If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

surgery today cleveland

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Stuart Schwartz Find out more about Stuart Schwartz
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pam Alexson
    replied
    Re: surgery today cleveland

Great progress , keep feeling better everyday.

Leave a comment:

• Stuart Schwartz
    replied

Thanks Guys, Barbara in for Stuart. Good advice. We are staying in the hotell 'til about Wednesday so no problem with scripts. Stuart feels more comfortable staying especially because it is a holiday Monday.

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

Barbara,

It's so good to hear that Stuart may be released tomorrow! It's hard to believe that five days have almost passed already... although i'm sure it couldn't come soon enough for Stuart.

As far as the oxygen goes, everyone's lungs bounce back a bit differently after surgery. Some get off of the 02 pretty quickly, and others need to stay on it for a short while. I don't think it's anything to be overly concerned about Barbara... they wouldn't be thinking of releasing him tomorrow if they thought it was a big deal.

Is Stuart using the inspirometer they gave him? I think that's the name for it anyway... the little air-blowie-thingy? The nurses told me that the more i used it, the faster i would get off of the supplemental oxygen, and they were absolutely right. I was blowing into that thing practically every waking moment, and i mean like every 15 or 20 minutes while i was awake. It really did help me to get off of the 02 very quickly... and this is coming from an ex-smoker of twenty years.

A word about prescriptions: You'll want to get these filled before you leave Cleveland tomorrow since your pharmacy back home may not fill out-of-state scripts. I was released on a sunday as well, and by the time i got my crap together and got out of there all the pharmacies were closed. There's one right across the street from the heart center (go out the main front doors and through the little park... it's across the street facing the clinic). There's also a Rite-Aid pharmacy within walking distance at 1965 East 93rd. It's just one more block from the heart center, back by the Cleveland Clinic Guesthouse.

They'll give you Stuart's prescriptions when they meet with you and discuss his discharge orders. As soon as you get them, let Stuart rest up a bit before your trip and go get them filled. Take all the time you need to get ready for the trip home. Trust me, they won't call security and have you physically removed if you take a few extra hours to get prepared. If by chance you find that the pharmacies are all closed (like i did), ask the doctors to give you enough meds to get him through until you can get the prescriptions filled on monday.

We're all so happy to hear the good news about Stuart! Thanks to both of you for keeping us updated on your progress.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied

Barbara

I had a problem it did get better, but i'm still on it but i have other problems also that warrants the oxygen

Shirley

P.S I hope Stuart continues to do well and can go home tomorrow

Leave a comment:

• Stuart Schwartz
    replied

Hi, Barbara in for Stuart . Still doing well he is walking the halls. But still is sucking oxygen. He has bad sinuses , but they are saying it has nothing to do with that. Anybody else come across that? If all goes well he will be released tomorrow, Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• swub
    replied

Hi Stuart & Barbara!
    Glad to hear my neighbors in Maple Glen are doing so well. You have been in my thoughts and prayers. Hope your progress continues to go well.
    Have a safe and uneventful trip home,
    Betsy

Leave a comment:

• angall
    replied

You're up and around...that's GREAT!
    The worse is behind you. Please don't overdue it, but walk as you feel comfortable. You will feel like walking more as days pass. Your body is mending so don't hesitate to ask for pain medication or sleeping pills.
    Please keep us informed.

Barbara....good work on keeping us informed. Stuart has a lot of people pulling for him. Your contacts with us eased our minds. Now you can give a sigh of relief and get some much needed sleep.

Leave a comment:

• Laoshur
    replied

Stuart,
    Congratulations and prayers for a quick and as pain-free as possible recovery!
    Rhoda

Leave a comment:

• Stuart Schwartz
    replied

ME AGAIN - STUART

Walk # 2 - not as easy as # 1.
    Going back to room.

Stuart

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

Hi Stuart!

Glad to see you up and about, buddy. You're well on your way now.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Ronnie
    replied

Barbara-

That's GREAT NEWS! I missed you earlier posts, as my computer was ill. I'm very happy to hear your good news! Having spoken to Stuart, in the early days of his "saga", I feel a sense of responsibility, to be aware of his progress. His worst fear of being intubated, is now past!
    Best wishes to both of you

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied

WELCOME HOME!!!

It is great to see that you are up and around. Take care of yourself and we will be here for you when you are ready to chat about your experience!

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied

Great hearing from you personally Stuart( sorry i have been misspelling your name. It is good to see that you made it down the hall. Keep feeling better and getting stronger.
    Pam

Leave a comment:

• Stuart Schwartz
    replied

Hi all,

IT"S ME STUART

I made it to the computer. My fisrt walk.
    Day 2, Thursday.

Not too bad. I still have a long walk back.

Talk later

Stuart

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied

Great to here Stewart and you are progressing nicely Barbara. He is now like Jim and others have said got to walk, walk , and walk some more. And, drink , drink , and drink some more. So he can flush, flush and flush those toxins and left over junk out of his system. Tell him to remember the boat don't go down the river if the stream is dry.
    Pam

Leave a comment:

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X