If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

surgery today cleveland

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Stuart Schwartz Find out more about Stuart Schwartz
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: surgery today cleveland

Hi Barbara
    I'm sure you let out a sigh of relief. The worse is over. Now the healing process begins. I know you will worry, my husband did, too. Try and get some sleep. Stuart will need you now more than ever. Your strength will help him recover. Please tell Stuart his fellow HCM'ers are thinking about him and praying for a speedy recovery.
    May God bless and keep you both in his loving hands.
    Esther

Comment

Hello All, Barbara in for Stuart . Stuart will be out of ICU later today. He is progressing amazingly.His major complaint? Too noisy in the ICU (lol) he wanted to sleep.You gotta love him. Visiting hour is soon. I will give him your good wishes. Next post will probably be from Stuart. Bye, Barbara P.S Jim, Yes Lytle looks like Albert Einstein and Mark Twain , Great Guy !
      Cleveland Myectomy Club
      August 31, 2004

Comment

Hi Barbara
        I'm glad to hear that Stuart can complain about not being able to sleep. That tells me he is on his way to recovery. Isn't it just like men to complain about such silly things...lol. My hubby was recently in the hospital for a shoulder replacement and he complained about not being able to sleep in the hospital. When hes at home, he sleeps like a baby through thunder storms, the LOUD tv, and our dog barking. I think he just wanted something to complain about because he wasn't feeling well. I did comfort him by closing the door when I was in with him. That seemed to do the trick. I must confess, I have been in hospitals where the noise was unbelieveable and others not so bad. I usually can't sleep thoughout the night anyway, so no problem there.
        Again, please tell Stuart we are thinking about him, take time to recover and hope to hear from him soon.
        Esther

Comment

Hi Barbara,
          You made me chuckle with your update on Stewart. This is what I call the rabid dog phase of recovery. As much as we are thankful to be back amongst the living and our hearts are not on a bipass, the tubes are beginning to come out, with all the meds , disturbances and inability to reume full control of all our functioning we would sooner bite someone if we could. Since we are civilized humans we can not do such things so we complain and control externally.
          This is the point where Dr. Maron asked me to do one thing for him please. That thing was to try to smile and put day 3 in my head. Ahhh day three when things do turn around positively.
          Until then anything that will make the time pass is welcomed.
          Please tell Stewart to complain nicely as much as he wishes . Sorry Barbara but you are going to have to be the whipping board if he needs to get it out. Better then holding it in and stressing his heart.
          My advise , take many breaks from the whippings if they come.
          My thoughts and best wishes are with you both.
          Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Stuart

I hope you are up and about today....I got up as soon as they would let me they let me walk when i felt i could, just remember walk walk walk, but also get your rest and try to stay out of that bed sit in your chair as much as possible with your feet propped, well you probably already know this, congradulations on your surgery and get well

Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004
            Husband: Ken
            Son: John diagnosed 2004
            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Barbara,

Thanks for letting us know how Stuart is doing!

I never really thought about the Mark Twain angle but yeah... now that you mention it Dr. Lytle really does bear a striking resemblance, doesn't he? Have you seen the inside of his office yet? Oh lord, i can't even begin to explain it... ya just gots to see it to believe it. LoL. He's such a cool guy though... and in my opinion, he is exactly the kind of man you would want opening up your chest.

Stuart sounds like he is doing very well! I stayed in ICU there for just about 24 hours, but the only reason for that was because there were so many surgical patients at the time they did not have any regular rooms available. The Cleveland Clinic these days is like Mecca for heart patients. Did you see the huge new heart center that they are building? I was fairly impressed myself.

Please tell Stuart that we all continue to keep him in in our thoughts and prayers, and are glad that he is doing so well. He will only feel better and better from this point forward. He may not believe it right now, but it is true. The first three days are the worst for sure, but everything after Day 1 is still an improvement. Everything they have stuck in him right now (tubes, wires, etc.) will begin to come out in short order, so please try to set his mind at ease.

The most important thing to remember is to get the man up and walking as much and as soon as possible. That little tube down in the nether-regions will come out as soon as he demonstrates his capabilities. (I'm sorry, that was the nicest way i could put it.) They didn't have much of a problem with me... i'm such an internet junkie, they just couldn't keep me away from that dang computer terminal 'down the block'. Tell Stuart that if he walks down there under his own power and posts to us in person within the next 24 hours he will have beaten a record. That oughta do the trick.

When Stuart gets to his room, don't forget to ask the nurses for the elusive sleeping pill if he needs it. They don't always tell you about it up front... in fact i only heard about it while eavesdropping on the nurses. He is allowed to have it in addition to his regular painkillers... so don't deprive the man of any additional comfort he may recieve. LoL. Drug the man up as much as you can Barbara, he will be easier to deal with! We don't want to hear of any divorces in your near future.

Now on to much more important issues... have you tried the cheesecake at the Chicago Deli? My God Barbara... it is fantastic. If you haven't yet had the opportunity to try it, for the love of God please get down there soon. Stuart is doing fine... give yourself a little respite and get down to the deli and sample those cheesecakes. You'll thank me for it! That deli is famous for their cheesecake, and you'll be sorry you left Cleveland without sampling it! You could perhaps even bring a slice back for Stuart, but for the most part this is for your benefit, not his. This is your reward for having to put up with his crabby butt.

Thanks for the post... i think i've rambled on enough now.

You and Stuart are (and have been) in our thoughts this week.

Jim
              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Hello all. Barbara in for Stuart again. You guys are great. When I read your comments and replies I have to smile. Stuart is in a regular room since 2:00PM wednesday. This morning I came in the room and he is sitting in a chair. Hey Jim, I think the medical term you are looking for is "p.p. tube" (lol)It's gone.
                Thanks for your concern . Since I know Stuart is in good hands , I have been eating properly (but enjoying the desserts) and sleeping well . I am going to need my strength. Going back to Stuarts room . I will keep posting. bye
                Cleveland Myectomy Club
                August 31, 2004

Comment

Great to here Stewart and you are progressing nicely Barbara. He is now like Jim and others have said got to walk, walk , and walk some more. And, drink , drink , and drink some more. So he can flush, flush and flush those toxins and left over junk out of his system. Tell him to remember the boat don't go down the river if the stream is dry.
                  Pam
                  [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                  Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hi all,

IT"S ME STUART

I made it to the computer. My fisrt walk.
                    Day 2, Thursday.

Not too bad. I still have a long walk back.

Talk later

Stuart
                    Cleveland Myectomy Club
                    August 31, 2004

Comment

Great hearing from you personally Stuart( sorry i have been misspelling your name. It is good to see that you made it down the hall. Keep feeling better and getting stronger.
                      Pam

Comment

WELCOME HOME!!!

It is great to see that you are up and around. Take care of yourself and we will be here for you when you are ready to chat about your experience!

Lisa
                        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                        Currently not obstructed
                        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Barbara-

That's GREAT NEWS! I missed you earlier posts, as my computer was ill. I'm very happy to hear your good news! Having spoken to Stuart, in the early days of his "saga", I feel a sense of responsibility, to be aware of his progress. His worst fear of being intubated, is now past!
                          Best wishes to both of you
                          RONNIE

Comment

Hi Stuart!

Glad to see you up and about, buddy. You're well on your way now.

Jim
                            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

ME AGAIN - STUART

Walk # 2 - not as easy as # 1.
                              Going back to room.

Stuart
                              Cleveland Myectomy Club
                              August 31, 2004

Comment

Stuart,
                                Congratulations and prayers for a quick and as pain-free as possible recovery!
                                Rhoda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X