If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surgeon released today

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

atydev Find out more about atydev
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgeon released today

I went to my surgeon today and I got a copy of my records but still a little lost. I will be 7 weeks post op on monday. I had a septal myectomey and a double valve replacement done. I have started having panic attacks and I am having problems with being irritated and on edge and unhappy. I guess I am depressed. I was given a script for for paxil and ambian because I can't sleep no matter how exhausted I am when I lay down my eyes pop wide open and my mind starts going. I tried to find out where I was before surgery and where I am now. All I was told was my valves will out last my and her. I have the St.Jude's valves. I got now answers on the myectomey. I don't know how much of the septum was removed. I have my records but just don't understand anything. Got any suggestions on how to get help with them.
    April
    Mitral & Aortic valve replacement w/St. Jude valve HOCM -myectomy 6/21/04
    EP Procedure 4-19-04 Wolfe Parkinson
    Heart Attack 4-19-04
    Stroke 6-03
    Bacterial Endocridites 6-03

Re: Surgeon released today

Hi

It is very normal to be depressed after major surgery. I highly recommend seeing a therapist so you can talk to someone outside your family about this.

Paxil has some serious side effects and you may want to research it a bit before you take it. It isn't a "quick fix" drug.

Lisa can help you make sense of the records. Please call the office and make an appointment to talk to her.

You have been through a lot and it isn't surprising that you are having a hard time, we just need to get you the right support around it.

We are here for you, so try and relax and take good care of yourself and hang in there!

Sarah

Comment

Sarah,
      Thank you. I will call on monday I have been wanting to call all week at first did not see the number. Then I had to register my son for school then I had an appt. with social security about my disability. I do hope things improve I feel like crying or ripping someone's head off could change in the blink of an eye. I felt so stupit I started crying today at the doctor. I am just so tired and feel like I don't know what is going on.
      April
      Heart Attack 4-19-04
      Stroke 6-03

Comment

I just wanted to respond to Sarah's comments on Paxil. I took Paxil for 6 months under the supervision of a psychiatrist following surgery to remove a brain tumor and I think it saved my life. I was suicidally depressed, and within a couple of weeks of taking Paxil I was back to my normal cheery self. I was closely monitored the whole time I took Paxil, and while I withdrew from it, and honestly I had no problems. If you think that you might need something to help you get back on track, and if you are under a doctor's supervision, there is nothing wrong with that.

Just remember, you are recovering from major surgery, and it will take time to get back to yourself, and an antidepressant might be part of the healing process. I know it was for me, and I have now been fine without it for 2 years, despite having had an ICD implanted the following year, and having surgery to remove a melanoma a few months ago.

Good luck.
        Daughter of Father with HCM
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynaburst
          I just wanted to respond to Sarah's comments on Paxil. I took Paxil for 6 months under the supervision of a psychiatrist following surgery to remove a brain tumor and I think it saved my life. I was suicidally depressed, and within a couple of weeks of taking Paxil I was back to my normal cheery self. I was closely monitored the whole time I took Paxil, and while I withdrew from it, and honestly I had no problems. If you think that you might need something to help you get back on track, and if you are under a doctor's supervision, there is nothing wrong with that.

Just remember, you are recovering from major surgery, and it will take time to get back to yourself, and an antidepressant might be part of the healing process. I know it was for me, and I have now been fine without it for 2 years, despite having had an ICD implanted the following year, and having surgery to remove a melanoma a few months ago.

Good luck.
          You have gone thru so much. I do hope this is all past you and you are healthy or on your way. I do not have anyone following me this was my last appt with the surgeon and he wrote a 3 month supply and I am now to follow up with my cardio. I do hope it works. I have moments were one minute I could cry and the next I could shoot you. Every one is stupid and can't do anything right. I just get so irritated. I have said words I don't say. Then have to ask God for his forgiveness..yes it is that bad. It has just progressed so much in the last few weeks.
          April
          Heart Attack 4-19-04
          Stroke 6-03

Comment

Do you have a family doctor you could talk with? Maybe he or she could refer you to a psychologist or psychiatrist. That was an important part of the healing process for me. It sounds like you need to have some support.
            Daughter of Father with HCM
            Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
            Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
            ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
            Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Yes I do. I will see what he thinks about it and if he could help me thanks.
              April
              Heart Attack 4-19-04
              Stroke 6-03

Comment

I will be in the office on Tuesday but I will be out from 10-1 for some appointments.

Call me Tuesday.

Lisa
                Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                Currently not obstructed
                Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X