If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myectomy, Cleveland, Boston, or Rochester??

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Stuart Schwartz Find out more about Stuart Schwartz
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myectomy, Cleveland, Boston, or Rochester??

Can't decide.
    Any thoughts?

Stuart Schwartz
    [email protected]
    Cleveland Myectomy Club
    August 31, 2004

Re: Myectomy, Cleveland, Boston, or Rochester??

Hi Stuart
    First of all, and most important.....find a cardiologist that specializes in HCM.
    I can only speak for my experiences at Mayo in Rochester. I was diagnosed with HCMO when I was 20 yrs. old. To make a very long story short, I had my first myectomy at the National Insitutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland in 1973. I had a cardiologist in Allentown, PA and was going to NIH for yearly checkups. NIH discontinues their heart facilities/research program, but I was still seeing my cardiologist in Allentown. In 2000, I moved to Minnesota and had to acquire a cardiologist. I was referred to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN and had various test done there. According to the results of the tests (especially the echo) they detected that I again needed another myectomy. They told me if I didn't have the second surgery I might have a blood cloth that would cause me to go blind, have a stroke or pass away. I called my cardiologist that I was seeing in PA, he looked at previous echos and admitted he saw it after looking when I called , but it was overlooked at the time they were done! The doctors explained everything that I could understand it, they were very perfessional, and they never got sassy when I kept asking questions. As a matter of fact, they were glad I did. I go to the Mayo Clinic for check-ups. I have been hospitalized in St. Mary's Hospital many times and everytime, every floor that I have been on has been the same, most of the nurses and doctors have been upove and beyond my expectations. My cardiologist even answers (by phone or email) my emails when I have a problem or a question. Would I recommend the Mayo Clinic? OH YES, without a doubt.
    Esther

Comment

Dear Stuart,

All are very good, but if I were having to make the choice, I would base it on how many procedures the surgeon I would have has done and what his (I don't know of any female surgeons doing myectomies at those locations --if anyone does, I'll change my prepostitions) success rate is, and how often they have complications.

There is also the Minniapolis Heart Institute, where Dr. Barry Maron is. (ok, naming another doctor is not narrowing, but hey, gotta put in a good word in for the big guy! ).

You should also take into account travel costs and family support possibilities.

My personal experience was that everything ran like clockwork at Mayo and Cleveland was a little more fluid, just in terms of appointments and tests, but I'm sure not everyone has the same experience. I've not been to Boston.

good luck,

Sarah

Comment

Stuart,

I told you what my choice would be. I know you will get great care were ever you choose to go.

Keep in touch...

Pat Ekardt
        " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X