If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small squirt of blood

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Tigger1 Find out more about Tigger1
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Small squirt of blood

Shirley,

I'm not clear from your post but I think you are saying they stitched the aorta, which is not the same as stitching the actual heart muscle.

When I read the original post, I thought, "well, he must mean some valve regurgitation" but if the blood is coming straight out of the septum, well, that would make sense since it has been cut into and may have some residual bleeding. However, it sounds like this is very commoon and goes away on its own.

I've not had a myectomy myself, just read and read and read about 'em.

take care,

S

Comment

Thanks to all for the big response. My local Cart. was not sure why there was a squirt of blood. That is why I'm sending the echo up to Cleveland to Dr. Maran Thamilarasan, my cartiologist and to Dr. Marc Gillinov my surgeon. They are suppose to be the experts. I will let you know what they say...

Tigger1
      " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Tigger

Thanks for the info, keep us imformed please, i 'm very currious as to what they tell you, it is ok i'm sure or you would be having symptoms by now

Shirley
        Diagnosed 2003
        Myectomy 2-23-2004
        Husband: Ken
        Son: John diagnosed 2004
        Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

My Non-Medical understanding is that they :

use a circulating saw to crack open your chest, they go into the left ventricle, the thru the Aorta. I know they insert some type of cannule, into the aorta, which I assumed they then pulled the obstructive muscle out thru. I know they then remove the cannule. I did believe they somehow cut into my Aorta (fortunately I was unconscious!). I know they wire the chest shut with a stain less steel material thru the ribs. Think about how much it hurt at first to sneeze, cough, laugh etc. Then your sternum slowly heals. What a Miracle!

Perhaps, someone with Medical knowkledge could provide a Better explanation. I did not watch the video, as I had already scared myself reading all the info on the net. I could not have watched the video.
          RONNIE

Comment

I am confused, I was not givin the chance to watch a video. I was however discribed the procedure. I was told my heart would be cut and open like a book. I was literally told my heart would be cut wide open. I have not thought of it but yeah if they did cut my heart open and open it like a book how did they close it and if there is a chance of it popping open again...
            April
            Mitral & Aortic valve replacement w/St. Jude valve HOCM -myectomy 6/21/04
            EP Procedure 4-19-04 Wolfe Parkinson
            Heart Attack 4-19-04
            Stroke 6-03
            Bacterial Endocridites 6-03

Comment

April,

Welcome to the HCMA

I did not watch any videos of that kind prior to my surgery either. I DID want to prepare myself as much as possible for surgery, but had NO desire to see in graphic detail exactly how they do it. In my mind there was no point... it's not like i was going to get off the table and assist them if they needed it! LoL. I'm usually the type of guy who loves to see how things work, but in this case opted to just have it done TO me, and worry about HOW it was done later on. That's why until recently, i was under the impression that they actually cut the heart open then stitch it back up. Now i know that they went through the aorta.

Sorry... i'm rambling again.

Jim
              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Originally posted by mtlieb
                April,

Welcome to the HCMA

I did not watch any videos of that kind prior to my surgery either. I DID want to prepare myself as much as possible for surgery, but had NO desire to see in graphic detail exactly how they do it. In my mind there was no point... it's not like i was going to get off the table and assist them if they needed it! LoL. I'm usually the type of guy who loves to see how things work, but in this case opted to just have it done TO me, and worry about HOW it was done later on. That's why until recently, i was under the impression that they actually cut the heart open then stitch it back up. Now i know that they went through the aorta.

Sorry... i'm rambling again.

Jim
                Well no video was offered to me to watch or I would have watched it. I love that kinda stuff should have been a surgeon. I was told by my dr. they were gonna cut my heart open like a book and remove the thick tissue, so yes I was told that so I am not sure now what the truth is.
                April
                Heart Attack 4-19-04
                Stroke 6-03

Comment

April, where did they do your procedure?

Reenie
                  Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                  3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

LSU Shreveport Louisiana
                    April
                    Heart Attack 4-19-04
                    Stroke 6-03

Comment

Working...
                    X