If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jim's Myectomy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Friend Find out more about Friend
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cynthiaG
    replied
    Re: Jim's Myectomy

Jim,

I am so sorry, I hadn't realized you had the myectomy. I knew it was postponed. I was in the hospital shortly before you had surgery and today was the first time I read someone's post about your surgery...It sounds like you are doing just fine...I really hope you are feeling better soon, buddy! Sincerely,

Cynthia

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied

WELCOME HOME BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rest comfortable and do what the docs tell you what we tell you to do

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• Shirls_6
    replied

Hello Jim:

I am very happy to hear that your surgery was a success. I wish you God's continue blessings and remember as long as prayers are going up - healing and blessings are coming down and i know that a lot of prayers went up for you and will continue to go up for everyone on this board.

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

Hi Angie,
    You’re more then welcome here. You’re ID ‘Heartmans Wife’ tells me that it’s your husband that has HCM – Tell him that he is welcome here also.

About giving away your age, how about my wife being in the first graduating class of Penn State U. (Class of ’54)? Her brother who was a year ahead of her was in the last graduating class of Penn State College. They were from Altoona, which contained the steam boiler shops for the Penna. Railroad. We went there in April, and Shirley was very depressed. Even the stores in the center of town have moved out and new buildings have replaced them.

Nice to see you posting to the board, we’re glad to have you. I believe Jim is now going to IUP for a post graduate degree in some form of archeology – I think, - but please don’t quote me. Someday you might even be alum’s together – if you’re not already.

I think you’ll find we are a tight knit bunch who cares about each other – and new members are welcomed with open arms. Hope to see you on the boards again real soon.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• Glen Beamish
    replied

Jim, so glad your feeling that good, like many others that had the procedure it's like night and day before and after.
    Keep up the great recovery and take it easy, there'll be plenty of time to try out that newly vamped ticker.

Leave a comment:

• Ronnie
    replied

Jim-

It is so Great that you feel so comfortable. The Myectomy can be Amazin'! I know no one mentioned this, "Take it slow & easy" - you will heal more quickly, if you do.
    So So glad you're doing so Well!
    Prayers ARE Answered!

Leave a comment:

• Heartmans Wife
    replied

Hi Jim-

You get my first post ever to the board Have been tracking your progress and hope you're continuing to get better. I just now noticed that you're from Indiana, PA. We're not far away in Lock Haven. However, Indiana is in my heart as I'm a graduate of IUP (1985-I guess I'll give away my age!)

Hope you continue to improve.

Ange

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

OK guys,
    I finally talked to Jim this morning. I was on the computer and saw him sign off, which meant I couldn’t IM him, so I called, - and his line was busy. After a few tries I did get him. His trip home was comfortable; - and one of the stops was for ice cream along the way. (Looks like his hunger is still working fine.)

He said he feels so good he can’t believe he just went through major surgery. (I guess if you need the procedure, that’s the way to do it.) I heard music on the phone and Jim said he had been laying on the couch watching a movie on TV. Since I had already found out he was fine, I got off the line and let him return to the movie.

I hope he sticks to his plan and takes it completely easy today. He’ll probably be posting again tomorrow, to let you guys know about it.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• Laoshur
    replied

Congratulations, Jim, on getting out! I know you won't get this for a couple of days, but we are thrilled that you are doing well enough to go home! If you are reading this in less than the two days you promised, go get that rest you planned!

Rhoda

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

Hi all,
    I talked with Jim this morning as he was packing. He was released a few minutes earlier and was waiting for his relatives and a ride home. He said for somebody who just went through major surgery he feels fine. He has the normal aches and pains, particularly around the incision site, but that’s about all.

They stopped his IV Lasix last night, and he is now completely off it. He said he only lost about four pounds, and feels the water is now returning, but the doctor’s feel that once the insult to his system resolves itself the water will leave on its own. That was one of the reasons for the myectomy in the first place.

It will be a long trip home. It normally takes five hours, but with stopping every hour to walk for ten minutes – and all the extraneous other pauses, he expects it will take a little longer then forever. He is looking forward to sleeping in his own bed tonight, and will probably spend all of tomorrow there also. He says after that he will probably start posting on the board again – so if you don’t hear from him until the day after tomorrow there’s no need to worry – it’s according to plan.

He said to thank everybody for their good wishes and concern. He really appreciates it. I plan on calling and pestering him again tomorrow, and will give a status report then. I was IM’ing Mary and know she called him right after I did, so he’s well pestered. At least he knows he’s not alone.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied

We have cable too and love it, no more logging on and waiting, iam glad Jim is coming home and they are giving him lasix to get all that fluid off, i guess i check into going to a heart failure center again another doctor when will it end, but iam so happy for Jim

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

Hey Sandy,
    If you get cable TV you might be interested in exploring getting your computer hooked up to the cable service. I spent last week-end at my daughters and used my granddaughter’s computer with a phone hook-up to AOL. I found it frustrating waiting for the communication responses after being on cable at home.

Not only is cable much, much faster, it is always on. I leave my computer on and monitor my family and friends computer use via AOL Instant messenger. I can then IM them often. It’s my hook-up to my world.

Just talked to Jim. He will be heading home tomorrow. Mary and I will try checking up on him daily for a while to make sure he’s continuing to improve. They are now giving him Lasix via the IV and he said he can see the puffiness leaving his face and body. Hooray for that. They just brought him his lunch – no pizza – but he said he will take care of that himself.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• sandylevitt
    replied

we will try to give jim a call today. our home computer is down
    (earthlink ARGGGGG and dont know when it will be up, so I came into work for a few minutes to see what is going on. Glad to see Jim doing
    so well!

sandy

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied

Hey All,

Just talked to Jim he seemed in really good spirits. His nurses seem to think he's overdoing it a little bit. Typical for us HCMers right . He is taking it easy today and trying to get a little shut eye. He is also craving Pizza Hut! It is so great to see him getting the treatment he deserves!

Mary S.

Leave a comment:

• Tigger1
    replied

Great news Jim. Glad to here your going home soon. It Will be 4 weeks for me on Monday. Because of a-fib they kept me 10 days. I was on G 101-06 and my nurses were great. I had a 5 hour trip home. They stopped 5 times for me to get out. Have you had that first sneeze yet. That will put you into the twi-light zone. Good luck and keep us posted...

Patrick Ekardt
    (Tigger1)

Leave a comment:

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X