If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myectomy Canceled

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myectomy Canceled

Hi Folks,

The myectomy for tomorrow was cancelled. Nothing serious. There just wasn't time to get everything in order prior to surgery and it had to be postponed. I'm pretty upset about a few things that have happened here, but i'm trying to keep my cool and not say anything negative about the Cleveland Clinic. I'll be headed home to PA tomorrow.

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Re: Myectomy Canceled

Jim, I'm sorry. I hope you get all lined out and get your surgery soon. I wondered if you could get all your ducks in a row so soon. I know you know we're all still here for you regardless.

Reenie

PS: How's the CHF?
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Oh my Jim

I hope you get things ironed out soon, you have to be disappointed, let us know when things get rolling again

Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Hi Jim,
        Go get a mirror and check out your back. Is there a sign there that says, “Kick me – Hard!”? With all the bloody fool things you’ve had to go through – and now this. They get you a cancellation and rush you down there, and then say, “Later Baby.”

OK, what happened this time?
        A) Did they at least do the Angiogram? What’s the story on that?
        B) Are you still ‘dropping’ water? How do you feel? Are you back to your starting weight yet? (i.e. how’s the CHF?) At least there was some progress there.
        C) When was the procedure re-scheduled for? I guess it’s like every hospital, the specialty team is top of the line, but the hospital procedures and paperwork is sixty feet deep.

Hope you have/had a safe trip home and at least are feeling better. Write soon.
        Burt

Comment

It'll be fine,

Like Reenie said, we were really rushing things with only three days to prepare over a holiday weekend. The pre-op dental exam here at the clinic found some infection in one tooth, and that's an instant cancel for heart surgery. This would have been taken care of before my original surgery date on the 10th, but when they moved it up to the 3rd there was just no time. Secondly, my insurance finally DID come through and approve the surgery. Woo hoo! BUT... it is approved for the 10th... NOT the 3rd. LOL. It's always something. I really wish that when Dr. Lever called on friday to change the date, i had simply said no and stuck with my original surgery date. Sometimes the docs forget that there's a lot more for us to do than just jump in our cars and drive up there

The heart cath results were fine... my arteries are clean as a whistle. HCM is my one and only problem there, thank goodness.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

P.S. It wasn't a wasted trip... i would have needed to get all these pre-op tests out of the way, regardless. Hopefully now i can get the surgery re-scheduled quickly and get right back up here

Comment

Great news.

Yeah, dental infections can travel to the heart very easily, and cause a world of trouble. That was a smart move on their part. I have to take Amoxicillin before I even have my teeth cleaned – like many of us I guess. It’s that important.

When have you been rescheduled for – and how’s the CHF? You sound a lot better.
              Burt

Comment

Well, I'm glad that you are getting thorough care and not just "Let's do this thing right now!." Take care.

Reenie
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Yeah, i'm very glad we didn't proceed. Endocarditis is certainly not something to fool with, and once it sets in, extremely difficult to get rid of. We tried to find somebody here in Cleveland to take care of the dental issues, but it was afternoon already and too late to salvage the surgery. If i sound really disappointed, it's only because i am really disappointed. I'll get back here soon though. Have fun at the conference everybody

Comment

Jim, I know you had you mind in "let's do it" mode. Then the cancellation and having to get yourself "psyched up" all over again. But, in the long run you will look back and know it was the right thing to do under the circumstances. Hopefully you are in better shape now than when you went, and as you said, it wasn't a wasted trip. The next week or so will go by fast enough and allow all the I's to be dotted and the T's to be crossed so things will go smoothly on the reschedule date. Rushing as you were there was a good chance something would have fallen through the cracks. Good news your cath is clear, now just get your tooth fixed. Stay well in the meantime. Steve.

Comment

Well Jim, the saga continues, so is it a go for the 10th for sure?
                      Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
                      So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
                      Good luck and stay well.
                      Glen

Comment

Nobody's called me from the scheduling department yet, so i have no idea when the surgery will be now, and i haven't heard from Dr. Lever since i arrived on tuesday. Heck, you folks going to the conference have a better chance of talking to him than i do here in Cleveland, and you won't have to sit in a waiting room for three and a half hours either! LOL.

Comment

Jim,

As someone said, things do happen for reasons we may not understand at first, and perhaps the surgery was a bit rushed. Best to get the tooth sorted out and be in tip top condition for the procedure.

I'm back at work and will be checking in as often as I can.

Chin up!

Laura

Comment

Jim,

* You now know that you have no other heart issues besides HCM.
                            * You now know that your insurance will cover the surgery.
                            * You now know that a possible complication caused by a tooth infection will no longer occur.
                            * You currently do not have a sternum that hurts like the devil and tubes coming out of all areas of your body.

You know, this was not a bad week.

And I'm sure that at least a few of us will corner Dr. Lever this weekend on your behalf.
                            Fx

Comment

Originally posted by felixdacat

...You currently do not have a sternum that hurts like the devil and tubes coming out of all areas of your body... You know, this was not a bad week.
                              Ummm... Felix? Please don't try to cheer me up any more okay?

And stay away from my doctor! LOL.

Jim

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X