If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myectomy Surgery

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Tigger1
Tigger1
Barely Heart
Find out more about Tigger1
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    felixdacat
    Ventricle

• felixdacat
    replied
    Re: Myectomy Surgery

Patrick,

I too was a side/stomach sleeper and found it very difficult to sleep during recovery. In the hospital, I slept better in the recliner (they called it a 'cardiac chair') than the bed. When I got home, my recliner was not as comfortable for sleeping although it was great for watching DVD's.
    It does sound like your 'gasping for air' issue is likely sleep apnea. I was treated for that a year before my myectomy (my myectomy? that can't be right).
    Rather than getting tested during your recovery, maybe you can request a CPAP machine. This is a device that forces air down your throat during sleep. You have to sleep wearing a mask. I never had to wear one because the throat surgery I had back in 03 actually worked. However I had very large tonsils which put surgery is the best option. CPAP is usually the first thing they try.
    Keep us up to date on how the rcovery is going. If you like to talk/vent just PM me.

Leave a comment:

• Tigger1
    Barely Heart

• Tigger1
    replied

Jim, I was on the tenth floor and there is a computer in one of the sun rooms. You or anybody else can use it to post. Best care in the world. The Guest House is a good place to stay. My Wife and Sister-in-law were ther for 11 days. Go to Little Italy for dinner one night before surgery. Good luck

Tigger1
    Patrick Ekardt
    [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    Brave Heart

• mtlieb
    replied

Patrick,

Hope your troubles will soon be over, and you can get some much-needed rest. I'm leaving for Cleveland Clinic tomorrow to start my pre-operative tests for my myectomy on thursday. I feel quite confident that i will be in good hands there.

Take care of yourself,

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Tigger1
    Barely Heart

• Tigger1
    replied

I finally got home from the Cleveland Clinic on Wedsday May 27. What a long 5 hr trip that was. I think we got the A-FIB under control. Now I need to work on recovering. I seem to feel a little better each day. I just wish I could sleep. They think I might have a sleepig disorder. I have slept on my side all my life. Now everytime I try to sleep on my back I stop breathing and gag for air. If I could only get a good three hours of sleep at night I think I sure would feel better. Well I'm getting tired so I better go get some rest. I will post again later. Thanks to all who helped me get through this.

Tigger1
    Patrick Ekardt

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    Brave Heart

• mtlieb
    replied

Patrick,

Sorry to hear the bad news. I've been doing quite a bit of research for my own surgery, and after reading a lot of posts here it seems that a short bout of A-Fib post-myectomy is not uncommon. Glad they were able to get yours under control so quickly, and hope that you get to go home soon! Take care.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Tigger1
    Barely Heart

• Tigger1
    replied

Bad news. Monday morning my heart went in to A-Fib. They did get it under contol but my stay at the Cleveland Clinic will be a little longer. Just a miner set back, I will be leaving in a few days. Nice to have a computer on the floor for me to use. I still think Cleveland is the best.....

Tigger1
    Patrick Ekardt

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    Brave Heart

• mtlieb
    replied

Pat,

Good to hear from you. We are all glad to learn that everything went well! Thanks for posting back and letting us know how you are doing.

Take care,

Jim

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    Brave Heart

• shirleymahoney
    replied

Pat that s great news, i hit my 3 month aniverary today and i worked in my yard all day well off and on had to take alot of breaks, tired now, you will feel much better when you get to go home i know i did, take care of yourself and do as the docs tell you to do

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson

• Pam Alexson
    replied

Great news Pat , I like many was waiting and wondering. Keep in touch and I hope all continues to go well. Pam

Leave a comment:

• Laoshur
    Member of 1000 Post Club!

• Laoshur
    replied

Wonderful to hear, Pat!

Please keep us posted.

Rhoda

Leave a comment:

• Tigger1
    Barely Heart

• Tigger1
    replied

I lived. It's sunday May 23. Surgery was good, everything went as planned. I still am in the Hospital. Get to leave tomorrow. Will post when I get home. Thanks for all your prayers.

Tigger1
    Pat Ekardt

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    HCMA CEO and Founder

• Lisa Salberg
    replied

Best wishes and I hope you have a swift recovery!

Be well,
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• cynthiaG
    Member of 1000 Post Club!

• cynthiaG
    replied

Patrick,
    you will be in my prayers....you will be in good hands.

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    Brave Heart

• shirleymahoney
    replied

Patrick

Best wishes to you and your entire family

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• Linda
    Super Moderator