If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alcohol Ablation/Mayo

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

deborah Find out more about deborah
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol Ablation/Mayo

Hello,
    I just returned from Mayo in Rochester yesterday. What an experience!!
    It is an amazing place! I was only diagnosed in January with HOCM and my cardiologist in Savannah, Ga. sent me to Dr. Nishimiri for an ablation. He is absolutely wonderful and explained the risks that it might not be able to be performed once he cathed me and that there was a fair liklihood that I would have to have a pacemaker installed (which I did because I developed a complete heart block from the procedure). However, I opted to take the risk because my lifestyle has been very limited in the last six months, and I'm happy that I did. The ablation seems to be a complete success. I felt the best I have in six months the very next day -- no heart pounding, no shortness of breath!! I was straightening my room up in ICCU! The doctors said they had never seen anyone have such an easy time immediately following an ablation. I am 53 years old and never been hospitalized so I was quite anxious and scared and a long way from home! I had a wonderful devoted friend with me that helped me through, and all of the doctors and staff were absolutely wonderful! The pacemaker may take some getting used to but for me I like the three-inch scar versus the foot-long scar, and the recovery time for a myectomy was not even a possibility for me at this time, unless it had been an absolute necessity. Considering what took place, I had a wonderful experience at Mayo. This is all very new to me -- thank you for letting me share!!
    Deborah

Re: Alcohol Ablation/Mayo

Deborah, Thank you for sharing. Pleased keep us posted on your progress and followup. Linda

Comment

Hi Deborah,
      I was also just properly diagnosed on the first of this year, although I’ve had most of the symptoms for years and years. As a child I was told I had an ‘athletic heart’ and a murmur, but in those days they didn’t know about HCM, and I was expected to grow out of it. I’m now 71, - and still trying to grow out of it. (If the doctor was still alive, I might just file a complaint.)

Congratulations on your ‘easy’ ablation and pacemaker installation. I hope you have a wonderful time rediscovering all the things you can do again.
      Burt

Comment

Hello Deborah,

Glad to hear you are doing so well. My husband (50 years old) had ablation done last November and also had to have a pacer because of heart block. He felt much better after the procedure and has done well since. I would be interested to know how you do in the future. Would you mind if I pm you sometime?

Best wishes,
        Paula

Comment

Hi .I too am glad all went so well for you. Your Doctor and Mayo are both so great. Can you please fill out your personel information on the site. That is if you would not mind if I e-mialed you direct on occassion to see how you are doing. I too had an abalation and would like more contact if possible. If you choose not to, that is just fine also. Thanks and good l uck.
          Pat Grall
          Hi I have had an ablation and have gone from hypertrophic cardiomypathy to dilated cardiomypathy. Ug. But I do OK

Comment

Thank you so much for your replies! It's great to have support and others to ask questions. Please feel free to pm me any time. Thanks again!!
            Deborah

Comment

I am glad to hear everything has gone well for you! I am glad you were given the options between your obstruction reductions methods - and that an appropriate option was choosen.
              Many factors play a part in the choice as to what is best for each individual. I am thrilled you are feeling well and hope you continue to do so!!

Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Deborah-

I was so Happy to read your Update, as I was anxious to know how you were doing! Prayers & a Positive Attitude go a long way to help the healing!
                So glad it went well
                RONNIE

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X