If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ablation

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

rich Find out more about rich
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ablation

im very curious to know why it seems that most ablations are done at medical centers OTHER than mayo or cleveland. from the posts ive read it seems that mass. general or the center in south carolina are where most of the ablations are done. Is there anyone out there who was given a choice by mayo or cc and HAD an ablation performed by either of these centers? if so, how were your results and if any staff is reading this from either center, what % is myectomy vs. ablation at these two institutions?

Re: ablation

Dear Rich

I've never seen any HCM doctors post here, even though I know they pop in from time to time.

If you call or write the clinics directly, though, they may be able to give you an answer on their stats.

My guess (and this is a total guess) as to why it may seem that Mayo & CC are doing fewer ablations is because if you need a myectomy, you are going to make an effort to get to the best place, therefore not go to the closest one. There is the perception that ablations are easier and technically, it is certainly less risky to have a cathater than open heart surgery. However, ablations are also risky and new and not the easy-peasy procedure that many local doctors seem to sell.

The better centers usually have pretty strict protocols on who they will ablate or not. Local hospitals may not be so picky.

To everyone who has had an ablation: please don't flame me. I've had neither myectomy nor ablation-- and it is up to every individual to choose the right treatment for themselves. This is MY PERCEPTION of the situation from having read almost every post on this board for the last two years.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
    X