If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cleveland vs. mayo

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

rich Find out more about rich
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleveland vs. mayo

I am curious. I know both cleveland and mayo are excellent centers for hcm, but which would you say has MORE experience or performs more procedures each year (both myectomy and ablation.)

rich[/b]

Re: cleveland vs. mayo

Hi Rich,
    First, welcome to the boards. It’s nice to meet you. Please look around the site at both the information at the front and in the postings. You can even ‘search’ the postings for specific topics that you are interested in.

Now to your question. It’s a tough one. How do you measure? You’re comparing two of the top three to five centers in the country. Are you asking which support team has the most experience – and if so, do you consider the effect when a member of that team is changed? What about if they have more then one surgical support team, do you then have to indicate which support team you are considering? What about the nurses who take care of you pre and post op? How do you measure them?

Next comes the surgeon’s. Do you pick the doctor who has performed the most procedures in his lifetime or do you pick the doctor who has performed the most procedures in the past year? Do you pick the doctor who has faced the most difficult procedures while operating, or do you pick the doctor who has the most uncomplicated track record?

Now, do you consider the standard operating procedures of the institutions? They must be great or they would not have the reputations they enjoy, but being human there must be some differences between them, and who can tell which is better? Do you consider both the myectomy and ablation procedures together in selecting the best institution, or do you do a complete evaluation for each of the procedures separately?

Which institution is better if the gross numbers of procedures performed in the past year are 803 verses 814, but in the year prior to that the count was reversed? Which is better, a nickel or five pennies? – And in the final analysis who cares? There both the best there is.

I would think if a person is possibly facing one or the other of these procedures in the near future, convenience, cost, and their cardiologist’s experiences with the institutions would play a larger part in the selection then the number of procedures it took for the institutions to achieve the great reputations they enjoy.

Now, was my little song and dance convincingly obtuse in avoiding answering your question? Honestly, I really don’t want to poo-poo your question. It’s just that I don’t see a whit of difference between them. Hope to see you on the boards again real soon – couldn’t give you the answer you wanted, but I like the way you think.
    Burt

Comment

Hi Rich , When I had my myectomy in Boston last Oct., I was the third one done and 1st without an expert from the midwest region of the country standing in. The 1st 2 were done on the same day 3 months before me. No ,I am not a gambler I just had a lot of faith in my cardiologist Dr. Marty Maron and the surgeon that he entrusted me to and in turn I trusted and had faith in this surgeon . I also checked on him and found he was listed as one of the top 10 cardiothoracic surgeons in the country. Of course it went without saying I knew who Marty Maron was son of , and I also had gotten to know him in his own right. You have decisions before you but as Burt pointed out there is a wealth of info on this site and others will also respond I am sure. Best Wishes. Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

thanks to both burt and pam for answering my first post. i can see that this website will help me a great deal. thanks once again!

rich

Comment

Hi and welcome.

I've been to Mayo and Cleveland. I haven't had any surgeries but I've in "in-patient" at Mayo, but not at Cleveland.

In my experience, Mayo is much more orgainzed and the routine is more precise. For a check up, you are handed little cards at every test with your instructions on them in four languages. Your appointments are usually all close together and you go from test to test without a lot of lag time. They have you see the doctor at the end of the day (or at least I did) after all the tests are done and then they'll run more stuff the next day if need be. I've heard of people not having the same experience, but the process seems to work more than it doesn't.

Cleveland was much less organized when I went through and I pretty much ran around and picked up some tests in the gaps created by people running late here and there. My brother (going through the same list of tests as I did at staggered times) didn't think of doing this and never got all of his evaluation tests in. There were a couple doctors we were supposed to see that we never saw and we scheduled an appointment for someone the next day, turns out they didn't come in and no one could take their place.

The quality of the people and the kindness of the support staff were similar in both places. I only met one surly desk worker the whole time.

The quality and concern of the doctors themselves are about equal. The major difference you will find is in that you are seeing the best vs. what you get in your local hospital (who may be good people and good doctors, but just not this caliber).

If I had to chose, I would go with the place that pioneered whatever procedure I'm having done.

Bottom line is that when you are choosing between best and best, other factors may take precedence, such as cost of staying there, getting there, etc. Getting to Cleveland was a cake walk compared to Mayo and you can stay in a hotel on the campus.

Check out their web sites for more info.

take care,

s

Comment

I am scheduled for a myectomy and a mytrol replacement on May 17 04. I will be going to cleveland to have this done. I can let you know after that. I hope i made the right choice I'm 49 and live in Cincinnati, but i've heard nothing but good about Cleveland. Good luck with your decision.
            " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

In short... they are both wonderful centers with about 30+ years experience in HCM. You are in great hands with either center.

Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I agree 100% with Lisa. That may not have been totally clear from my post ---they just have different "feels."

s

Comment

yeh and my fingers hurt from too much typing so I have learned to be rather brief!

Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                  Currently not obstructed

Comment

L

Use this keyboard---it has saved my wrists (I don't have any stock in the company!): http://www.officeorganix.com/kenisis1.htm

It is pricey, but cheaper than surgery!!

S

Comment

I will look into it...my hands thanks you...

Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

I tried the split keyboards, and they made me crazy (for me just a short step.) I type using the biblical method (seek and ye shall find) and the split keyboard slowed me down considerably. (You can’t teach a new trick to an old dog.) I hope it works well for you guys. Lisa, don’t you type using voice dictation? (Dragon it around.)
                        Burt

Comment

I use Dragon when I have a lot of typing to do... it is nice, but not perfect.

Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

I had a Myectomy @ Mayo July 2003 & found the quality & caliber of car A++. Having never been to Cleveland, I can't make any comparisons. Getting to & staying at Mayo, can be a PAIN. If I can give you any more info-just ask
                            RONNIE

Comment

Working...
                            X