If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Six Weeks Post-Ablation Update

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

MartinKennedy Find out more about MartinKennedy
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six Weeks Post-Ablation Update

I can walk again! I can run up a flight of stairs again! I can do jumping jacks! I can jog a bit! My head is clear and my work is much more productive. My memory has improved. I have some mild angina type pain but it seems stress related so I am working hard at just getting my feelings out and doing things. For example, I am working on some political activities to make sure we preserve the constitution. Instead of stewing about it I am doing volunteer work. It makes a big difference.

Several related medical issues are on the front burner. I must take Zoloft for ptsd and it causes weight gain. I have to double my efforts to lose weight.

I have sleep apnea and leg tremors when I sleep so must be vigilant about getting rest and using my CPAP machine when I sleep.

But, you know what? I am so glad to feel so good that I am not worried.

I am also doing another kind of AA work...alcoholics anonymous...that is going well, too...one day at a time.

Life is good. I do not worry about tomorrow.

Marty Kennedy
    Alcohol ablation January, 2004. Stent placed, September, 2003. Now...at age 53...working out, building a cabin, sober and clean. A 2nd chance at life. There is hope, there is a future. Have faith.

Re: Six Weeks Post-Ablation Update

Marty, Thanks for the update! Amazing, how a little energy can help you channel things in a more positive direction. Hope things continue to improve, best wishes with the weight. Linda

Comment

Martin,
      Well, that certainly is good news. “May the road rise to meet you . . . “
      Burt

Comment

Marty,

That is so great to hear! Congratulations on such a successful outcome from your ablation, and thanks for letting us know how you are doing.

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Marty

Great to hear the good news. Keep up the good work. What's a CPAP machine?

God Bless You, ED

Comment

ED, Continuos positive air pressure= Cpap, And Bipap= same thing with a pause to exhale.They are machines used for sleep apnea . Marty so glad to hear your good news. Has anyone heard from Shirley Or her husband re: her recent update post her last update?
            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Thank you Shirley. I 'm new at all this.

Comment

hi my login is petal i had alcohol septal ablation on 12/17/2003
                and have never felt better. the first doctor wanted to do valve
                replacement saying that it might help.i am looking forward to
                spring and summer so i can get out and in joy life. would like to
                hear from any one who has had the same procedure

Comment

Hi Petal,I'm glad your ablation went well and you are feeling good. I was evaluated at the Cleaveland Clinic and my tests showed that I don't need any procedures at this time. Hopefully someone who has had an ablation will respond to you. God Bless

Comment

Hi Petal. How old are you? Where did you have the ablation? How long have you known you had HCM? Tell us all about yourself. Welcome!

Reenie
                    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Originally posted by petal
                      hi my login is petal i had alcohol septal ablation on 12/17/2003
                      and have never felt better. the first doctor wanted to do valve
                      replacement saying that it might help.i am looking forward to
                      spring and summer so i can get out and in joy life. would like to
                      hear from any one who has had the same procedure
                      Hi Petal I too had an alcohol ablation!
                      Tammy

Comment

I had mine on January 6 and just saw my echo!!!! Wow. I can see exactly where they snipped out the tissue with the alcohol and how the valve now closes directly into a corresponding depression in the tissue. My heart is working at 80% already, up from 60% before the operation and I am in an active cardiac rehab program; really sweating!!!! Like I can actually exercise now. I can walk for long distances, I can kayak, I can climb two or three flights of stairs with no problem. Truly, I feel like I am alive in away that I never dreamed possible. I am back at work almost full-time...would work longer if I did not have to go into cardiac rehab two days per week. I am overjoyed. This procedure is amazing.
                        :P

Marty
                        Alcohol ablation January, 2004. Stent placed, September, 2003. Now...at age 53...working out, building a cabin, sober and clean. A 2nd chance at life. There is hope, there is a future. Have faith.

Comment

Geez, that was a great post, so many people feeling so much better.
                          Good luck to you all and hopes that your recoveries continue to get better.
                          Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
                          So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
                          Good luck and stay well.
                          Glen

Comment

Hi Martin
                            Wow!!! That's great... I too feel good. I do the treadmill for 30 mins. every night. I've noticed at certain times that I would be walking and then realize - Hey! I'm not out of breath - Cool..... Every so often though I feel something....I can't describe it. It's kind of like a little poke. It's only when I'm thinking of my heart that it happens. Maybe it's in my head...I'm really scared that the ablation didn't work so I don't get my hopes up even though the Dr. said I'm doing better than they expected....Take Care
                            Tammy

Comment

Hi, Martin,

At the risk of sounding really stupid, can you tell me what you mean by your heart working at 80% when it used to be at 60%? If you are referring to ejection fraction, that is not an improvement, as I understand it, so I assume you are referring to something else.

Rhoda

Comment

Working...
                              X