If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I did not get my ablation!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Ralph I love my family. We have between us 4 great children and they have 9 great children. My passion is flyfishing. I am lucky to live within 5 miles of a great trout river, the Chattahoocee in Georgia. Find out more about Ralph
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did not get my ablation!

Hi all

I went to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore scheduled for my alcohol ablation at 9:30 AM. I was prepared etc and taken in. As they were doing the cath to check everything, Dr. Heldman found a 50 to 60% blocked main artery and a couple others with some plak. They stopped the procedure and took me to recovery.

It looks like now I need a by-pass and a myectomy. I guess they feel while they are in there to do the by pass they will do the myectomy. I have just made an appointment with Dr. William A. Baumgartner who is the Cardiac Surgeon in Charge at Johns Hopkins. My appointment is scheduled for March 2nd.

I feel at this point I should be getting some other opinions as to what I should have done and where and who should do it.

This was very disappointing to me, I was ready to get the AA and begin to feel better. Now I have more to worry about. But also, maybe getting the by-pass and myectormy will be even better than the AA. I am 63 and in good health with the execption of this damned HOCM.

Has anyone had any experience with Dr. Baumgartner with myectomy?

Ralph

Re: I did not get my ablation!

Ralph -
    Sorry things did not go according to plan. If you want to give me a call we can discuss some options for 2nd opinions as that sounds like what you are interested in at this point.

take care,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Ralph, I hope you can get things worked out soon. Take care!

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Ralph,

Sorry to hear things didn't go as planned. Hope things look up for you real soon. Keep us posted.

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Ralph, I'm sorry things didn't go as planned, but you are so fortunate that they checked things carefully first and caused no harm. Best wishes as you get things lined up for the next step in care. Linda

Comment

Ralph,
            The best laid plans of mice and men oft’ gae aglee. I more or less expect it after all these years. I’m 71, had an HOCM attack last New Years, was finally properly diagnosed, and am just chugging along fine now.

Over the years I’ve had a bunch of angiograms and four heart cath’s / angioplasties, plus angioplasties of my renal arteries and iliac arteries. The normal heart cath is done as an out-patient. You check in first thing in the morning, they do the procedure (normally an hour or less) then it’s about four or five hours in recovery flat on your back, then out for supper. If this is a viable alternative, I highly recommend it. The key word here is viable, everybody’s case is different.

If you want more info, or details of the procedure, please PM me and I’ll be happy to fill you in.

Hang in there buddy, the best is yet to be,
            Burt

Comment

I thank you all for your concern and uplifting words. I guess I'll get on my "horse" and get things looked at and done. I'm only 63 and hope to hang around for a number of years to be with my wonderful wife, Katy, and watch our grandchildren grow up.

God Bless you all,

Ralph

Comment

Ralph,
                Definitely don't give up! You were very fortunate they found the Blockages, when they did. I too had a Cath, the day B4 my Myectomy, this summer, they found my Arteries "all clear"- so proceeded w/Myectomy the next day. Sorry, my Myectomy experience was at Mayo, not Hopkins. But Yes, Yes, Yes have the Myectomy, while you are young & healhy!
                Good Luck
                RONNIE
                RONNIE

Comment

Ralph, sorry it was a no go yesterday. I feel confident you will get all the help you need and soon. Hang in there. Keep your chin up. Pam
                  Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                  Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                  Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                  SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                  [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                  Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                  Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                  Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Ralph, You may have been lucky in another way, by being sent home from Hopkins. For the rest of the world, the Baltimore area is in a bit of a panic over an outbreak of a bad GI bug. Hopkins is one of the hospitals requiring visitors to gown and mask, restricting all visitors they can, and isolating a few units. Hospital where I work has had to isolate a few units. So Ralph, glad you are home now, and stay well. Linda

Comment

Linda,

Yes the CCU was closed down yesterday because of the bug. I guess I may have been lucky not to have been there.

Ralph

Comment

I too was found to have a blockage so had that taken care of with a balloon angioplasty and stent before they did my AA. I am wondering just how many of HOCM folks have subsequent blockages. My blockage was in the descending artery that actually was the same artery that they had to go through to do the AA. I am sorry I cannot comment on the specific question but I would personally want a second opinion before I went trhough the myectomy\bypass.

Marty Kennedy
                        Alcohol ablation January, 2004. Stent placed, September, 2003. Now...at age 53...working out, building a cabin, sober and clean. A 2nd chance at life. There is hope, there is a future. Have faith.

Comment

Marty,

Thanks for the reply. How are you feeling now? I hope you are doing great. I have a 50 to 60% blockage in the left main coronary artery, so they couldn't do an angioplasty on that. That's why the by-pass and myectomy. I do have an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic in March and an appointment next Tuesday (March 2nd) at Johns Hopkins.

Ralph

Comment

Ralph,
                            When it comes to heart angioplasty and stenting, been there, done that, done that, done that, and done that – plus the renal arteries and iliac arteries. I have to side with Martin when it comes to getting a second opinion. Regarding a 50 to 60% blockage – mine were all over 70%. In fact, my renal arteries were 85% and 99% blocked when they went in and opened them.

Please get a second opinion, - and ask pointed questions. There is a remarkable difference between an angioplasty and open heart surgery.
                            Burt

Comment

Burton,

Thank you for the reply. I will ask many pointed questions and make sure they know what's going on with me.

Ralph

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X