If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insurance question

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

THG Find out more about THG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance question

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Mayo Clinic. Do they accept what is reasonable and customary and write off the rest or do they normally go for the whole bill. I'm scheduled to go there to be evaluated by Dr. Nishimura,but it is out of network for my insurance and my cardiologist seems reluctant to send me to the Cleaveland Clinic which is a PPO hospital for me.

Re: Insurance question

You would have to discuss this with the financial department at Mayo.

Regards,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I have had the (%&^^*$*(@($*%^) fortune to be in many hospitals over the years. At some I have been able to work out a reduced rate prior to admission – always prior to admission. At others it was the full rate or don’t come. If you call the administration or billing department (depending on the hospital) and explain your insurance coverage, or lack there-of, you just may be happily surprised.
      Good luck,
      Burt

Comment

I talked to Mayo but they said that couldn't give an estimated cost until I was evaluated. They also said that they couldn't be sure that they would not be over what my insurance considers reasonable and ordinary but I would be responsible if there is a balance due after insurance has paid there part. Soooo CCF might have to the place to go with or without my cardiologist's blessing.

Comment

Just my two cents but, PRICE should never be the reason why your doctor recommends you to a facility! (unless it is like Mayo vs NEMC) I think you know what I mean on that. Unfortunatly, that is what our health care system in the U.S. has come down too. The knowledge gained from a good facility is worth it's weight in gold!

Mary S.

Comment

Why isn't your doctor supportive of Cleveland Clinic? As far as I read here, both Cleveland and Mayo are tops for HCM, so if one is more cost effective for you, why not pick that one? Personally, if I was going to travel for treatment, I would pick between these places based on which one was more convenient for me. The HCM docs at either place are great, and both hospitals have an excellent reputation, so why not pick the one that I can easily afford?
            Daughter of Father with HCM
            Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
            Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
            ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
            Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

To give my doctor the benefit off the doubt, It may be that he has a contact at Mayo and does not have one at CCF. I have asked to talk to him about this but ,of course, I can't get past the nurses. I'm waiting for him to get back to me, before I move on my own to schedule an appointment with CCF.

Comment

As long as you schedule your Cleveland appt. with Dr. Lever and his team who is the HCM expert there, I am sure you will get the best treatment. Good luck.
                Daughter of Father with HCM
                Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Thanks Cynaburst

Comment

i gotta tell ya, "having" to go the cleveland clinic isn't exactly going to the county hospital.

i've been to mayo and they are amazing. i would go again "in a heartbeat" but for my situation now (afib and HCM), i'm going to cleveland as they are pioneers in afib treatment and know HCM inside and out, both. i'm really just tapping out all my options.

the president of the american heart association sends all of his myectomy candidates to cleveland, by the way.

take care,

s

Comment

Sarah is correct about the past Pres. of the AHA (Bonow)- maybe you want to chat with your doc about that??

Be well,
                      Lisa
                      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                      Currently not obstructed
                      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thanks again, I want to go to CCF. and will, but would like to ok it with my cardiologist so that there won't be any glitches in records being sent to CCF, if you know what I mean.
                        Thanks for the info about the pres of the AHA and CCF.

Comment

thg, i hope u got my personal message. im in midland, pa. and had surgery at ccf. u cant go wrong there. dr. smedira was surgeon. dr. lyttle is great also. john

Comment

Originally posted by THG
                            Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Mayo Clinic. Do they accept what is reasonable and customary and write off the rest or do they normally go for the whole bill. I'm scheduled to go there to be evaluated by Dr. Nishimura,but it is out of network for my insurance and my cardiologist seems reluctant to send me to the Cleaveland Clinic which is a PPO hospital for me.
                            Regards, Ron J.

Comment

You need to contact your insurance Co. Find out what they pay for out of Network. If Mayo does not participate with your insurance then you are going to be responsible for the balance. Like if your ins pays 80% you will need to pay 20%. Lot of times out of network your ins will only pay 70% that is why it is important to call insurance co. Cleveland Clinic is an excellent facility I would not know why your Dr. would not recommend there I guess I would ask him. I am a Mayo patient but Cleveland is excellent also.
                              Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                              ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                              Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                              Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X