If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And away we go....

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

felixdacat Find out more about felixdacat
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And away we go....

Tomorrow I will be flying up to Boston, and in less than 36 hours I will be undergoing a myectomy. One thing that is clear to me is that you shouldn’t have to wait and think about open heart surgery for 5 weeks. Most people who prepare for an open heart procedure barely have enough time to handle their paperwork much less think over and over about such wonderful things as sternums, heart lung bypass machines, ventilator tubes, and catheters.
    The sum total of all these thoughts is that I am handling this true to myself. First of all, I’m not a positive affirmation kind of guy. I’m not going to ‘visualize’ a positive outcome, and therefore make it happen. My concept of a positive outlook is just to make plans. I had already scheduled a family vacation at the beginning of May, so I’ve been obsessed with the planning.
    I’m not going to chant “Namio Rengay Kyo” a thousand times.
    Although I am going to be joining my temple this year, I decided against a discussion with the Rabbi. I’m a spiritual pragmatist. Since we can never understand the ways of God (the story of Job, Jews are just gaga over the story of Job) I’ll just do what I feel I need to do.
    I was given the challenge of HCM and therefore the challenge of a myectomy.
    As it turns out, another person on these boards is having the same surgery on the same day. I saw her post and it made me realize that there has been one area of thought that I have not been doing. She used the word “excited” to describe her feelings about the surgery. Now, I’ve been very methodical about preparing myself for this procedure. I have spoken to a few people who have been through it, and I’ve asked all the tough questions that I needed to ask. My wife and I have sweated the details about preparing for this trip and to make sure the kids, the house, and everything else was taken care of. But the one thing that I forgot to spend a great deal of time on, was that this surgery “should” work. Considering my overall health, my age, and my motivation, at some time in the near future, I will be considerably less fatigued. The tightness in my chest at night should be rare or gone. I will be able to exert myself again. This surgery is my chance at a normal life.
    I’m going to spend the plane ride and the night before, thinking about the positive effects this surgery will have on my life.
    I’ll let y’all know how it goes.
    Fx

Re: And away we go....

Felix, thanks for you thoughts. It is also a great help for those of us who might have to go through the same ourselves.

As for the surgery itself, remember the success rates are incredibly good. And you will be in best hands. I will keep you in my prayers.

All the very best.

Bala

Comment

Felix and Sandy, Best wishes to you both as you make this journey to a healthier heart for you Felix and a healthier husband for you Sandy. I think you have prepared well for you and your family. You will both be in my thoughts .Felix, I will keep a positive spirit for you and your family . I can only say as someone who thought about and prepared for this surgery myself ,it is a wonderfull time in life that those of us who are candidates, can have this surgery available to help us. My Best to you. Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

FX, Anxiety is natural when going into something of this magnitude. You will be in the hands of people who do this alot, not someone who is feeling their way through the procedure. That is why you are going to a specialty center. You will get great care. You are looking forward to the outcome of feeling much better post surgery than you are now, that will happen. After the recovery period you will realize just how poorly you felt. You know the saying, sometimes you don't know how sick you are until you feel better. We are all thinking about you, keep us posted on your progress.
        Steve

Comment

Hi Felix,

I am with you, I probably won't be chanting mantra's into the operating room. But damn it, I AM going to be better.

I go for surgery at 8:00 am on Wed. and I will be thinking of you and wishing for the best outcomes for all of us. You too, Ralph.

Bye for now,
          Robbyn McIlroy-Moore

Comment

WOW 3 procedures in one day... 2 myectomies and an ablation... You each have such big events planned - WE will all be thinking of you!

Felix, You will be in great hands and you will have a great vacation in May. I have a poster in my office that says simply "focus on the future" they are words I live by, and it appears you are doing the same.

I will be thinking of you all and sending good wishes and positive thoughts!!

Be well!!!!!

Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

To Felix and Robbyn,

Good luck to you both. Felix, it was a pleasure talking to you the other night. I am sure you have a wonderful support group for you and will come flying out of the surgery with complete success.

The one thing that is hard (maybe harder for the family provider no matter what gender) is allowing yourself to be cared for and looked after. But, this is as important as having this surgery. You need to let yourself be waited on for now. It is OK to do so. In no time you will be back to your regular comfortable routines and feeling better than you do now. So rest up, and allow your body to heal properly.

My very best wishes to you both!

Doug
              NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

Comment

Felix, you'll be in my prayers tomorrow. Take time to heal. I wish you the best. Robbyn, Ralph, the same goes for each of you.

Reenie
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X