If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One week to my alcohol ablation

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

MartinKennedy Find out more about MartinKennedy
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One week to my alcohol ablation

Hi folks,

Just wanted to check in as I am scheduled for my ablation on January 6 at Mass. General Hospital with Dr. Fifer, head of cardiac surgery. I have had tons of testing and there are no reasons not to move ahead with the procedure. I should give more of my history. I am 52 and come from a large Irish family in which many of my ancestors have had heart disease and most likely HCM. I am in pretty good shape, walking a lot and love to kayak...gently. I have other health issues including severe sleep apnea, family history of malignant hyperthermia and possible narcolepsy. I also seem to have nightime leg tremors as part of the sleep apnea. I had a blockage cleared in September in the same descending artery that is associated with the area of my heart that is thickened. My internal bp is high and I am not responding very well to increasing doses of toprol which leaves me groggy and short of breath. But, without it my symptoms are strong: radiating pain from the chest and headaches...some numbness in my left hand and occasional problems with my left leg as well. I have a problematic mental health history as well in that I suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder and am also 15 months sober. Despite all of this I continue to work full time and have maintained an active social and community life. I recently cut back on a lot of things so I could focus on work and family. My doctor offered to me the choice of open heart surgery or alcohol ablation and I have opted for ablation on January 6. I really do not want to go through general anesthesia with my family history of mh and also my sleep disorder. I am hoping that the ablation will help me to resume a more active life style to get me in better shape so I can lose weight and improve my other health issues.

My spirit is very strong. I love being in AA and have rediscovered my spirituality. I feel that AA saved my life and my sobriety has meant that I was able to feel my symptoms more clearly. I feel that I was using alcohol to sooth some of the pain and frustration imposed by my limitations and pain. I meditate at least twice a day and am pursuing various spiritual practices and developing my own healing skills.

I look to a future in which I can pursue my interests and see my children mature and start families of their own.

I would add to this conversation that anxiety must be addressed as it is with cancer patients. Anxiety can add to our problems and some combiantion of medication, therapy and meditation is probably called for in most of our situations. I fear that my serious anxiety problems in the past few years which pushed my heart into overdrive probably added years onto my heart and accelerated my condition. So, I do feel that we cannot ignore other lifestyle issues, especially emotional stress.

Blessings to all. I will post again.

Marty
    Alcohol ablation January, 2004. Stent placed, September, 2003. Now...at age 53...working out, building a cabin, sober and clean. A 2nd chance at life. There is hope, there is a future. Have faith.

Re: One week to my alcohol ablation

Hi Martin, I wish you well in your ablation. I'm sure all will work out fine. Don't stress over it, just go with it. I'm sure you will feel like a new man and can continue an active productive life. Best to you, Steve.

Comment

Marty, Best wishes, Keep us posted. Linda

Comment

Best Wishes to you.
        God speed on your recovery.

Laura
        Laura Johnson

Comment

lets look the numbers... what is your resting gradient? The next question would be...what is the condition of the mitral valve? These are 2 of the most important things one must evaluate prior to taking the step to abalation.

Best wishes,
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hi Martin
            I guess since today is the 8th that you've had your ablation. How did everything go? How are you feeling? I hope your well soon.
            Tammy
            Tammy

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X