If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pam's Surgery is Done!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Pam Alexson single mother of 3 wonderful young adults;a special ed teacher, an RN and a senior accountant. Find out more about Pam Alexson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pam's Surgery is Done!

Just to let you all know, Pam did very well today. She was taken in for surgery at 7:30 and finished at about 1:00. They ended up doing the myectomy and felt confident that it will give her some relief (no need for a valve replacement!) The doctors said she did very well through the surgery. She is now in ICU and coming back just fine... They feel that by looking at images (before and after) of her heart that there is a significant improvement. They feel pretty confident that this will (hopefully) relieve most if not all of her symptoms. Only time can tell. And they will get a better idea when she can respond with how she feels. We were able to visit with her a few times today. Once right after the surgery and then after dinner. After dinner, she was semi-awake and able to respond to questions by shaking her head up and down/side to side. She was also motioning her hands. We will keep you posted and we're sure she will do just fine. Thanks for supporting her so much! We will be here to answer any questions and she'll be back to the board in no time!
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Re: Pam's Surgery is Done!

Thanks for the update, our prayers and best wishes are with you all. Linda

Comment

Pam, I hope you're back with us soon.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Send our best wishes to Pam! I am happy to hear all went well and I continue to keep her in my thoughts and prayers.
        Best wishes,
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

HI Everyone, Once again I am back. I Didn't talk about it on my last post but had some problems on the 5th day post op. Went into A high rate of A-fib. Plan was to cardiovert me the next day if Amiodorone did not work. It worked in 18 hours aborting the procedure. That kept me in the hospital for 7 days. Leaving on amiodorone. Well after being home for 1 week and 1 day and not feeling very well that day ,this past Thursday, @8:25 while watching Survivor Pearl Islands( it must have been watching Rupert in his skirt) suddenly ,without worning A-fib started again. I was evaluated at a local ER with the covering NEMC cardiologist directions and input then shipped back up to NEMC . I guess I just had to be there for Halloween! I teased Dr. Maron as to what he was dressed up as . He in the greatest humor that he has , said he was dressed as a cardioligist! We both laughed in spite of my situation. So I had a little Heparin ,back up on the loading dose of Amiodorone and to the EP lab to get converted by 12 noon the next day . They were able to use my AICD for the conversion thereby not causing any burns. Got home on Sunday , the dose of amio will unfortunately have to stay higher then I like in tapered doseage. If my heart calms down and I don't go back in A-fib Dr. Rastegar says I can stay off coumadin. He laughed and pointed saying I'm giving you one more chance! I certainly have been blessed with great docs , so attentive and caring. I hope to be able to give feed back to some of the posts that I've read as I get stronger ,but for now I am sorry I must rest . Will talk with you all soon and thanks again for all the good wishes. Pam
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Pam, you'd better be more careful when watching Rupert! Hope you continue to do better.

Reenie
            Reenie

Husband has HCM.
            3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Pam, it's still early for you after surgery. There are occaisions when AF is more common after heart surgery, while your heart adjusts to it's new state. This adjustment may continue for quite a while. Let's hope for the best. Linda

Comment

Pam,

I hoped it would go smoother for you. I keep my fingers crossed and thanks for the update.

Doug
                NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

Comment

Hi Pam!
                  If it is ok with you can I call you tomorrow? Let me know if you are up to it.
                  Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                  Currently not obstructed

Comment

Thanks everyone for your good wishes and kind words they help so much. I feel just so tired and know this must be normal. You know the mind is willing but the body can't rise to the occasion? That's sort of how it feels. Lisa that would be great I look forward to your call ,you have my number right? Talk with you all soon and thanks again. Pam

Comment

Hi everyone , so far so good with the a-fib not returning. I'm down to 200mgs. bid of Amiodorone and will go down to 200 qd on 12-8 . I still hope I can get off it. It makes me nausiated daily. I did not get to see Dr. Rastigar on my post -op visit saw the PA and surgical nurse. Dr. R was doing yet another myectomy. Lisa how many is that now? Do we know? I have been remiss in posting as it has been a slow er than I expected pocess for me. I still have problems I believe related to my left ventricle ;some ascites with weight increases and increase SOB. Overall there are good improvements and people commemt on my staying ability or stamina increase and that my look has improved: the puffy puffy face is much smaller. I'll see Dr. Maron on the 9th of Dec. Also my sisters husband was being dx while I was at NEMC with a big problem with his mitral valve with 40% regurgitation. It seems 2 chords on his valve have let go and there is this ball like growth on his ?leaflets so Dr .Rastigar will be performing either valve repair or replacement after 1-1-2004. He is very anxious and I have been trying to gently prepare him . Up untill his TEE last week he had never had so much as an IV, he has no grasp , knowledge of medicine and is like talking to someone who can only speak a foreign language. WE have a lot of TLC to do . Wish me luck cause he can't see the glass half full only half empty.. Iknow he'll do fine and he has a great surgeon! Take Care Pam

Comment

Hi Pam,

Good news about the a-fib not returning. Glad to hear that you are feeling better, and i hope that you have nothing but continued improvement from here on in

Jim
                        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Hi Pam,

I didn't know Dr. Rastagar was performing another one. I would love to catch up with you sometime. Feel free to give me a call this next week. I hope things are going well for you.

Doug
                          NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

Comment

Pam,
                            I am glad your brother-in-law is in good hands. I hope you are feeling better day by day. Take it slowly there is no rush to feeling better...give your body time!

Be well,
                            Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Thanks everyone for your kind words and care, You're right Lisa I do have to take it slow and I do, but become easily frustrated . Some of it is related to friends and family forgetting that this was not a cure . When they tell me I look so much better and then start jumping to ideas of what I will NOW be able to do. I am optimistic but there are some very real feelings and symptoms that remind me that things may not be as I desire them to be ; you know like a normal person. I am beginning to realize that if it is not souly due to lingering and ongoig effects to the amiodorone then they may just be due to my very stiff and non relaxing left ventricle. We will have to see and I will remain positive and hopefull with an occasional vent and pity party, but only occasional. Hey Doug I will try to give you a ring on Wed. it will be nice to catch up. Take care all . Pam P. S. My bother-in -law is starting to freak and already has had my sister call twice to try to get his surgery moved up to before X-Mas. Dr. R has sent out the word that it is probably a no. I know how he feels as we all would but I think if he keeps up we are going to need a dart gun or restraints . Bye

Comment

Working...
                              X