If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upcoming myectomy home preparation

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Heidi Larson Beeler Find out more about Heidi Larson Beeler
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming myectomy home preparation

I will be having my myectomy on June 18 at UTSouthwestern (certified center of excellence in Dallas) with Dr. Bajona.
    I'm 46, have 4 children at home between the ages of 9 and 19. (The 19 year old will be heading back to college the beginning of August).
    I am looking for advice on how best to prepare my home BEFORE I go, so that it is as easy as possible when I return. I have read and read and read, and feel fairly mentally prepared for what to expect as far as pain, pain management, the sternotomy, etc. Thank you to all who take the time to reply!

Side note: Dr. Turer and Dr. Bajona are both incredible. If you are in the DFW area and looking for a center of excellence, you might want to consider UTSouthwestern.

It is so good to hear from people who are going to COEs around the country...It sounds like you have spent a lot of time researching your decision. Here are a few suggestions that I used for preparing my home....I do live alone so it was a bit different for me.
    1) If you have a recliner or a chair and footstool that you can " customize" it is helpful the first few weeks....it is not an absolute necessity. Getting comfortable to sleep and having a good place to rest and put your feet up as you gradually increase your stamina is the goal.
    2) Have a table near your special chair where you can keep water, books phone etc within reach....I remember trying to stretch too far to reach something and really causing pain in my chest muscles
    3) Have your laundry done and several outfits that you are comfortable in avalable..You may or may not want to wear a bra....It is a try and see thing. The support is good but tolerating the band underneath may or may not work for you....I had a couple sundresses with soft built in bras that were wonderful for around the house.
    4) Make a grocery list and have someone fill your freezer and fridge with what you need for easy meals....Freeze some meals ahead of time.
    5) You can't drive for 4-6 weeks so have a crew of drivers available...especially if your insurance allows cardiac rehab...that can begin before you can drive and is 2-3 times per week.
    6) Being a mother of 4, thiis is the time to sit back and allow others to help you....It is a grand opportunity for your kids and mate to give back
    7) Tune into your body....everyone recovers differently and any " back to work Guidelines" may not apply to you and your body...when in doubt give yourself a break and err on the side of an extra nap.....you do not have to prove anything to anybody.
    8) Have wonderful things to do when resting, books, meditation, knitting...unlimited opportunities to paint, write in a journal refresh your self with music while still doing all your prescribed walks, stretches and deep breathing exercises.
    9) Make sure you and your family know your doctors protocol to get ahold of him for any pressing questions.

Blessngs to you on this great adventure....feel free to PM me if you have questions during your recovery.
    Last edited by JillC; 06-12-2018, 01:17 PM.
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Thank you, Jill! I’m actually going to print this! Funny you mentioned laundry... I’m finding myself a little obsessed with keeping it done right now. Gives me a sense of control, I think
      you mentioned painting, and it reminded me of a question I’ve been wanting to ask and keep forgetting... does arm movement hurt in the first few days and weeks?

Comment

I don't remember my actual arm muscles hurting....However, the pectoralis muscles, the main muscles in your chest are connected to both the sternum and the shoulder/ upper arm. So lifting your arm up high .. or lifting something over a few pounds, you will feel soreness in your chest. Also, your ribs are connected in the back to your spine, so having the ribs spread for the surgical procedure can cause back pain in some people. You should get a very detailed " book" of post-op does and don'ts for moving, lifting, etc..... Sometimes aches and pains can show up in the weirdest places just from lying flat on the operating table for several hours. But I found it all very manageable.
        After years of symptoms:
        Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
        Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
        Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
        At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X