If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Successful septal myectomy surgery

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

adorevoyager Find out more about adorevoyager
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful septal myectomy surgery

I want to express my thanks to all who have posted their hypertrophic cardiomyopathy experiences on this and who subsequently underwent septal myectomy surgery. It was so helpful to me as this became an option for my hypertrophic (obstructive) cardiomyopathy. It provided me with information that I was able to use to develop questions to ask the cardiologist and the surgeon at Stanford Medical Center as I considered what my options were. Armed with this information, I was able to make an appropriate decision after hearing the options presented by both doctors and their teams and decided to opt for the septal myectomy. I have quickly recovered, as expected by the doctors at Stanford and, except for a few activities that I expect to be able to resume in a couple of weeks, have resumed my normal schedule. My surgery was performed on the last day in February and as soon as I awoke, I could feel a difference. After only 4 nights in the hospital, I was sent home with instructions and after only a couple of weeks was able to resume a few activities. By the end of the third week, I was doing most activities with the help of my chauffeur-husband. I no longer got out of breath after walking a few steps nor have I had any lightheadedness or disorientation episodes. Everyone comments on how much better I look and I lost a few pounds (8 or so) which also has helped. I'm 74 and ready in about 3 weeks to start back with my aqua aerobics program and have serious travel plans in the near future that I have been unable to consider since my a-fib diagnosis (and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy diagnosis) a bit over 3 years ago. I was not happy that it took my local cardiologist nearly 3 years to refer me to the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Clinic at Stanford. He would tell me I had to learn to live with the symptoms. Another doctor convinced him that I should be referred to Stanford.

How wonderful to hear of your success! And thank you for telling your story. I was 64 when I joined this forum after a failed myectomy done by a surgeon without the proper skills....It was the moderators on the this forum that convinced me to get a second opinion at the HCM Center in Mayo Clinic Rochester. I ended up having an expert surgeon re-do the surgery and extend the myectomy deeper and longer than the original one. And I have been supremely better ever since. Enjoy your travels and good health!
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

It's great to hear that you're doing so well!

Gordon
      Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X