If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LBBB on ECG

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

angusjcampbell Retired from Healthcare Telecomm in NY City in 2004. Diagnosed with HCM in 2005, moved to Golden Isles region of SE Georgia in 2006. Now working for a non-profit ministry called International Seafarers Center at the busy seaport in Brunswick . Find out more about angusjcampbell
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LBBB on ECG

So yesterday I had a routine physical with my internist, and for the first time ever - even since before my HOCM diagnosis - a comment was made about my ECG. The nurse said it picked up Left Bundle Branch Block. But then at almost the same time she said it was probably nothing- could have been a false reading. And my doctor didn't register any concern. Checked with my cardio office and my next follow-up is not until next May. I guess I'll not pursue it unless I feel anything different. Anyone else see this come up post-op?
    Last edited by angusjcampbell; 10-16-2015, 05:50 PM.
    Angus Campbell
    Golden Isles Region, Southeast Georgia, USA

Dx'd HOCM at St Luke's Roosevelt, New York City, 2005
    Myectomy Jan 9th 2014 at Cleveland Clinic
    Drs Lever and Smedira

Hey Angus....
    Left Bundle Branch Block is almost a guaranteed event after a myectomy. There are two nerve bundles that go down the septum of the heart one of them turns right and the other turns left at the apex and they are responsible to stimulate contraction of the right and left ventricle respectively. If there is a Left Bundle Branch Block (LBBB)...The right bundle will find a circuitous back route to fire the left ventricle.
    When the doc listens he will hear a split sound because of the conduction delay, but rarely is there any hemodynamic significance.......If both bundles get blocked, Such as in the situation of an alcohol ablation causing RBBB and a subsequent myectomy causing LBBB a pacemaker is imperative.
    Funny side story....after my first myectomy, the one where they didn't take enough tissue out, I did not have an LBBB......After my redo myectomy at Mayo, I had an LBBB immediately after surgery. My local cardiologist was actually rather pleased....he said a really good myectomy usually causes an LBBB.
    I'm surprised you didn't have one immediately after surgery....is this new?
    Last edited by JillC; 10-18-2015, 12:19 PM.
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Jill. Yeah, this is the first time it's come up and the first time anyone has commented on an ECG reading. My GP didn't give it a 2nd thought so I'll just ask my cardio guy next visit.
      Thanks again.
      Angus Campbell

Drs Lever and Smedira

Comment

Yes - it'd be surprising if you didn't have LBBB. It's not anything to be concerned about (unless, of course, you also had RBBB).
        Gordon
        Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Thanks guys. Now I know not to get my undies in a left branch bundle.
          Angus Campbell

Drs Lever and Smedira

Comment

When I had my last knee surgery (post myectomy), during the Pre-op the tech kept shaving & reapplying the electrodes to my chest. After a few of these I asked what the problem was. LBBB was the reply. I said "That's normal for me, had heart surgery". You'd think with the scar they could have put 2 + 2 together. I ended up looking like Steve Carell in the film 40 year old virgin.
            Marc
            Diagnosed @ 48
            Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
            Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
            AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
            After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
            Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Working...
            X