If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ablation at Mass General Hospital, Boston

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

MartinKennedy Find out more about MartinKennedy
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ablation at Mass General Hospital, Boston

Looks like I am going for ablation in the next month or so...I am 51 and while I was given a choice of either...there is a history of malignant hypothermia in my family (mortal reaction to some general anesthesia) and I have sleep apnea so I think that being awake for a less intrusive procedure will work. I am really just adjusting to the fact that my HCM has worsened so quickly but thank my Higher Power that I am sane, sober and relatively strong.

I like the reference to having a strong heart. My friends joke that they knew I had a big heart but this is getting a bit carried away!

Anyone feel like extreme trauma and stress contributes to HCM worsening? I went through a very bad couple of years from 2001 to now: death of friends, reoccurance of traumatic experience and lots of emotional baggage. I also went into AA and that stirred up a lot of anxiety too.

I feel like I have aged about fifteen years in the last two and just am concerend that I put too much of a burden on my heart, I am the kind that internalizes a lot of things and feel stress in side my body.

Am doing much better now with sobriety and proper medication for anxiety.

How about sleep apnea? anyone have that too?

Marty
    Alcohol ablation January, 2004. Stent placed, September, 2003. Now...at age 53...working out, building a cabin, sober and clean. A 2nd chance at life. There is hope, there is a future. Have faith.

Re: Ablation at Mass General Hospital, Boston

Hi Marty, sounds like you've had a lot on your plate over the last 2 years, but you have taken a lot of positive steps in the right direction.
    Good luck and keep walking forward.
    Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
    So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
    Good luck and stay well.
    Glen

Comment

This may sound simplistic...but You should be proud of yourself! YOu are facing some very difficult issues and AA is a wonderful step to having a healthy life!!
      Take your time working through each issue...Yes I do think that stress is a factor at making symptoms worse although not many pieces of data can back that up... We see it often at the HCMA.

Stay on the path to good health...and pat yourself on the back... you have earned it.

Be well,
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Martin,

I was recently diagnosed with HCM as well, and i too am going to AA for my alcohol addiction. I feel like i am forty years old, going on seventy. Hang in there, bud. Nobody ever told me that life was going to be a hayride... but i didn't realize i was going to be runover by the damn wagon! It gets better, or so i'm told. At least take comfort in the fact that there is another out here dealing with the exact same issues

Take care,

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X