If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inhospital& days following a myectomy- what can I wear?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Linda S Find out more about Linda S
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inhospital& days following a myectomy- what can I wear?

I'm getting closer to my myectomy - I leave for Cleveland Monday, July 21 and have it July 24th or 25th - I was just wondering if anyone could help me with a question. While I'm still in the hospital, and the next week or so after, what will be comfortable for me to wear? Will I be able to pick my hands up over my head to put a T-shirt on, or should I wear button down shirts? And for how long? Will shirts hurt against the new scar? Any comments would be appreciated.
    Linda S

Re: Inhospital& days following a myectomy- what can I we

After I had my surgery, they allowed me to put my hands up over my head. While in the hospital I wore pajams, that buttoned up, and after I got home I wore loose fitting shirts and sweats. I think it is all in how you heal. Good luck with your surgery, it has been 15 years since mine.
    Life is too short to worry about the trival things in life, So live life to the fullest.

Comment

Hi Linda,

I have my myectomy at CCF almost a year ago; everyone there is just wonderful! Are you setting up a status page for family and friends to view your progress? I will be keeping you in my thoughts over the coming weeks!

To your question regarding clothing. While in the hospital I just used the gowns they provided but did take shorts (men's boxers) with me to feel more 'secure' along with a cozy robe. (Don't forget to bring your own socks - they tend to be more comfortable then what they can give you.) After I left the hospital I did keep button down shirts in use for a couple of weeks. I did not find that clothing really bothered my incision site much but did prefer being able to open the neck line some if I wanted. Incidently they may provide you with a surgical bra to wear afterwards if you are curious at all about that. Besides the button down shirts, easy on/off shirts were fine as well for me.

Take care, all the best,
      Lynn
      Lynn Stewart
      HOCM 4/2002
      Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

Hi I will be having the same procedure within 1 to 5 years and I am curious how some felt? I have pacer/defib in right now, and was wondering if any change and how dramitic it was after having a myectomy. Im not concerned with a scar, just how it is afterwards. thanks for the input Lana
        Lana

Comment

Dear Lana,

You will get a higher response if you post your question as a new thred, and you will also find a lot of info in older posts as this is something that gets talked about over and over --so use the Search function to find other posts about myectomies.

take care,
          S

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X