If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exercise after Myectomy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise after Myectomy

My doctors at the Mayo mentioned that I join Curves as part of my cardio vascular activity. I had a Myectomy on May 1 of this year. I joined curves this week. For those of you unfamiliar with Curves it is a weight loss and arobics program for women. They have "resistant" machines, not weight lifting machines. Inbetween each machine you walk in place to keep your heart rate going. You do a 30 minute workout. My question is I am wondering if I am doing too much too soon. During the workout I feel ok. No pain in my chest like I'm stretching my sternum or my incision too much. But, the day after I feel some burning of my skin inbetween my incision and my neck. I don't know if this is just part of the normal healing process. I had this feeling before I started this program, but wonder if the exercise is making it worse. Does anyone have any comments? Thanks,

Re: Exercise after Myectomy

Dear Kay,

I don't know if this helps answer your question or not, but I had a lot of stinging in the incision and chest area after my myectomy. I was also very active within six weeks of the surgery and wondered if I was hurting myself. So, I called the surgeon's office and was told it was a normal part of the healing process. Maybe yours feels like burning? I would call the doctor just to be sure... Anyone else out there have a similar experience?

Good Luck!
    Elizabeth

Comment

Re: Exercise after Myectomy

Hey there,

I have to 'second' what Elizabeth said about the sensations in the surgerical area as I increased exercise/movement. You know, even after 10 months I can still get little 'stings' around the scar. I would think it's all a part of the healing process as their are so many 'layers' that must heal. As for it being more prevelant the day or so after working out, I think that would be consistent with the body recuperating after workout, much like the rest of our muscles do. Since it's a 'weak' part of your body right now that is healing, the sensations are stronger/different than we are accustomed to having but double-check with your surgeon just to be sure. That's what we (or insurance) pay them for!!

All the best,
      Lynn
      Lynn Stewart
      HOCM 4/2002
      Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X