If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myectomy in Boston FINALLY!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

dughr Find out more about dughr
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myectomy in Boston FINALLY!

Ok, after quite a great deal of changes in plans and moving it to Mayo, they are finally ready to perform the first myectomy in Boston. Actually 2 of them. This is great news for folks in the New England area and south because it will give everyone another choice of locations to have a myectomy done.

The Boston Clinic has been able to perform all the other components of HCM management, but until now they had not had a surgeon who can perform the myectomy on the scale and level of expertise that is done at Mayo and Cleveland, hence, they declined to do them until now. On July 22, Dr. Dearani from the Mayo will be flying to Boston to train the top cardio-thoracic surgeon at NEMC/Tufts the fine tuned procedure with the newest scalple technology. Admittedly, I am nervous to be the first or second (two will be done that day and we don't know who goes first) but someone had to be first at Mayo and at Cleveland too. I feel like we are in great hands with the surgeon here who is ranked in the top 100 surgeons in the country, along with Dr. Dearani. All eyes will be on them including a host of other surgeons, a group of anesthesiologists, and every cardiologist there. I think with this amount of attention I feel pretty safe.

Wish us luck and in about 3 weeks it will be history. I will be sure to let everyone know how it goes. This is a great thing to expand the abilities of surgeons and broaden the knowledge of this disease to other places in the country. Now for a west coast clinic...

Now its off to Cape Cod to rest and relax for the weekend...Doug
    NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

Re: Myectomy in Boston FINALLY!

Doug, Best wishes, enjoy Cape Cod! Linda

Comment

Re: Myectomy in Boston FINALLY!

I am happy that a date has been set... and it is "show time!" Enjoy your rest, get your mind in the right place to help your body get through the procedure and you will be fine.
      You will have a great deal of attention and very gifted hands all around!

Stay well!
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X