If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heart surgery recovery -- what's it like?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

pickaback Find out more about pickaback
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart surgery recovery -- what's it like?

Even though I had surgery as a child, I can no longer recall what the recovery process is like.
    Since I have been told I will likely need more surgery some day, can anyone share their road to recovery? The ups and downs? Anything they found that made the road any easier?
    Thanks.
    pickaback

Re: Heart surgery recovery -- what's it like?

Hi,

There are a lot of posts about this in here already, so in addition to what people will post here, I highly recommend using the Search function to look for posts that contain the words myectomy, surgery or recovery.

take care,

S

Comment

I don't know if you are male or female, but if you are a woman, I would recommend that you get some comfortable undershirts with spandex for some support that you can wear around the house instead of a bra. The bra band was very uncomfortable on my incision.

As far as recovery goes, I'm sure you'll get a range of responses. I had a rough time, got an infection, and had lots of pain. My recovery was slow and it took two years before I felt completely better. Hopefully other people have better stories to share. My operation was for a mitral valve repair.

Dolly Y

Comment

I had a myectomy on May 1 of this year and my recovery has been fairly simple. I agree that a sports bra would help. I place a medical pad where my incision was to keep from rubbing. I sleep in a recliner for comfort. Sleeping flat is still uncomfortable for me because of the pressure on the sternum. My surgery was on May 1 and I flew home on May 6. I was off work for 8 weeks, but felt I could have gone back sooner. I have a desk job, so that helped. I used perscription pain killers for about a week, but then was able to change to Tylenol for a week then nothing. I really had a good experience. If you would like to talk farther, please feel free to email me personally.

Comment

Kay was right on when she said that sleeping upright helps. I too could not sleep flat or on my side without sternal pain. I was fortunate that my mom, who lives with us, owns one of those adjustable beds. Made all the difference in the world.

Bob
          Cleveland Myectomy Crew
          Member since November 2002

\"Chance favors the prepared mind!\"

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X