If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memory loss or not post myectomy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Pam Alexson single mother of 3 wonderful young adults;a special ed teacher, an RN and a senior accountant. Find out more about Pam Alexson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory loss or not post myectomy

Hello everyone, I have a question ? After myectomy is it common to experience blanks in our memory ,has this occured to anyone, and how bad and how long does it last, are you even aware of it unless someone asks a question that you know you used to know the answer to or not? Sorry I think that's 1 question with 4 sub questions. The reason I ask is that I have read that after being on by-pass there is memory loss and often depression (but I'm not worried about the depression yet). Since my defibrilator has been tested yearly , I have noticed (as time passes) that there are some memories that I don't recall and don't even recall ever recalling. Sound confusing, it is . Well just need to know your input please . I may have to start counting my brain cells soon, ha! ha! Take Care ,Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Re: Memory loss or not post myectomy

Anytime I have been "under" for any period of time - the day or two after are a little foggy...this is very common.
    After my stroke in 1990 I had severe short term memory loss for about 6 months...now it is completely better (in fact my memory is better..strange but true!)
    Suggestions for how to deal with the memory issues post procedure:
    1. have someone with you as much as possible (family-friend anyone to be your advocate)
    2. Keep notes as to what meds you have been given and what the docs have told you...so if your memory is not so hot...at least you can read it back to yourself.
    3. Do not panic if you have a hard time recalling events for a few days.

Be well,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I had to respond when I read this too. Although I have never had open heart surgery, I had 2 brain surgeries last year...one only lasted anout 1 1/2 hours, but the other lasted 7 hours. I also have an ICD which was implanted in February.

Anyway, since the 7 hour surgery, I am definitely not as sharp as I used to be. I am not sure so much about the failure to recall events, but I am often searching for words, or, I might say one thing when I mean another. I know part of it is natural aging process, etc., but I am only 38, and I swear I feel like an elderly person sometimes.

It is really annoying....however, I guess the alternative...being dead...would have been worse.

I am also concerned because I haven't been working since my surgeries, but I am thinking about going back and since my job is one that requires brain power, I hope I am up to it.

I guess we will see.
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I always blamed it on the anesthesia. The myectomy was my most recent surgery, but I've had three procedures prior to myectomy, and experienced episodes of forgetfulness after each administration of anesthesia. It usually subsides after a few weeks, but I still have "episodes" ocassionally. Maybe my remaining brain cells are mourning the ones that have gone before
        HOCM, Septal Myectomy 10/02 (Mayo Clinic), Medtronic ICD 10/07, TIA 10/07

Comment

Hi everyone thank you for the feed back . I'll just have to keep a close eye on it and thanks Lisa I will use your techniques to help keep track of the details . I still can't help but wonder if that defibrillator testing is the culprit. I plan to ask Dr. Maron about necessity on our next phone call. I am presently scheduled to have it done again in July. Thanks again ,Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I have not suffered any memory loss due to my myectomy. I still clearly remember waking up in the ICU and the remainder of my stay in the hospital. I remember the events leading up to the surgery to the point where the anestisologist asked me "How do you like that martini I gave you?"

Sounds like I am in the minority here however. Unless I have forgotten that I really have forgotten!

Bob
            Cleveland Myectomy Crew
            Member since November 2002

\"Chance favors the prepared mind!\"

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X