If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

surgery

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Angeleyes22 Find out more about Angeleyes22
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery

hey everyone i am back from cleveland clinic my surgery is scheduled for june 3rd. i am suppose to go up beforehand to meet another doctor who will be involved with my case. they said something about repairing one of my valves. also can anyone tell me where they make the incision for this surgery. i am kinda lost on all of this. hope everyone is doing well.
    amanda
    Cleveland Myectomy Crew july 2003

Re: surgery

Hi,

If you are having a myectomy, I think you will have a scar down the middle of your chest. Oh, myectomy crew ---can you speak to the scar?

Please use the board's search function to look up the myectomy posts. I think you will find a lot of worthwhile reading and answers to many questions.

take care and keep us posted.

S

Comment

thanx for the reply i did look it up on the board but i just had a few more question. i am lost about this whole thing.
      amanda

Comment

Hi Amanda,

First of all, I know that surgery is overwhelming but I can tell you that you are in wonderful hands all the way around at CCF. The surgeon, doctors, nurses and staff are terrific!

I had my myectomy at CCF last August. As for the incision, if you are having a myectomy it should start somewhere in the upper part of your breast bone (mine starts about 3" down from the notch at the base of your neck) and is made vertically down. The length of the incision does vary, mine is about 7" long or so. It is considered 'open heart surgery' in terms of opening the chest to reach the heart. If they need to do valve work it's done at the same time as the myectomy. If you want more details on all of this feel free to post, search back in previous posts or PM me. I'll be happy to elaborate on whatever you might like to know.

By chance do you happen to have the book that is by Dr. Barry J. Maron, M.D. and Lisa Salberg on Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy? If you do, there is a page (page 39) that is devoted to diagraming what takes place in the heart during the myectomy. This may be something you want to take a look at if you want those type of details prior to meeting with the surgeon.

All the best,
        Lynn
        Lynn Stewart
        HOCM 4/2002
        Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

thanx for your help. i do feel like i am in good hands with CCF. dr. lever is a wonderful doctor so no worries on that part.
          sincerely,
          amanda

Comment

There are many people on the board who have had myectomy or valve repair - check older posts for details you can use the search feature above.
            Many people can give you input here - most of all you should know your in great hands!

Be well,

Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Amanda,

I too am a graduate of CCF. Lynn covered all of the details on the scar. Mine is also about 7" long right down the middle of the chest. As with Lynn, I would be happy to answer any additional questions you might have. There is a lot of info in the archives. Good Luck

Bob
              Cleveland Myectomy Crew
              Member since November 2002

\"Chance favors the prepared mind!\"

Comment

Hey guys,

I think I am on the 75/25% side leaning toward Myectomy here too. I want to know...really know, what was the 7 days following the surgury like. No punches pulled, and I know time fades away unpleasant experiences. However, I am getting ready to make the biggest decision of my entire life and I want to go into this as informed as humanly possible.

Does anyone here have any first hand knowledge of Dr. Kimmelsteel (sp) and his work? (Offline is fine.)

I am being given the choice of either procedure as I am a candidate for either.

Thank you to everyone who has responded and given me your personal experiences. Your time and effort to do so is very much appreciated.

Doug
                NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

Comment

Originally posted by dughr
                  Does anyone here have any first hand knowledge of Dr. Kimmelsteel (sp) and his work? (Offline is fine.)

I am being given the choice of either procedure as I am a candidate for either.

Doug
                  What center is he with?

Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                  Currently not obstructed

Comment

He is with NEMC-Tufts, Lisa. Dr. Maron told me he is the ablation guy there.

Doug
                    NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

Comment

You ar 100% correct the name slipped my mind for a minute! I have seen him talk at AHA or was it ACC on ablations - he has a good approach, I do not know how many he has done but he really seems to have a full understanding of the procedure and HCM in general.

Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X