If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robotic Myectomy anyone?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Marko Find out more about Marko
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Robotic Myectomy anyone?

Nothing wrong with being selfish when it concerns your health. Taking risks and being a pioneer while the status quo is actually pretty good takes a special breed of people.
    Some people say I don't have a heart, but my doctor says I have too much?

Comment

A paper about this very topic was published this week:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25803770

The full paper is paywalled so I don't have any details. Results look to be good, although the volumes are still very low (19 patients in 9 year). This most definitely still qualifies as pioneering surgery. Be informed and make sure the benefits outweigh the additional risks. If you're interested in the full paper mail one of the authors and explain them your situation. Researchers are often willing to mail friendly people their papers.
      Some people say I don't have a heart, but my doctor says I have too much?

Comment

In fact, I don't know a single researcher who's not delighted to have people actually read their work.

Gordon
        Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by DEChengst View Post
          A paper about this very topic was published this week:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25803770

The full paper is paywalled so I don't have any details. Results look to be good, although the volumes are still very low (19 patients in 9 year). This most definitely still qualifies as pioneering surgery. Be informed and make sure the benefits outweigh the additional risks. If you're interested in the full paper mail one of the authors and explain them your situation. Researchers are often willing to mail friendly people their papers.
          I have access to all of the journals through the hospital......if I can get a break from tax season...I will pull a copy for you. Please PM me an email address and I will send it.

Comment

Well, there is a Dr. who does myectomy using the DiVinci I know, because my brother had it done in 2011 in at a non COE Center. The Dr. also replaced his mitral valve with a mechanical one. I wouldn't recommend it, but he was afraid of having open heart surgery. My brother is doing pretty ok considering he had symptoms for years before going to a cardiologist.

Comment

Well, We didn't say it couldn't be done, but the surgeons at the COE's who do thousands of them currently do not use robitics. But its that pioneering spirit that drives innovation. Who knows, I hope one day that is the norm. For now, I frankly prefer they innovate on others. . . .
              Marc
              Diagnosed @ 48
              Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
              Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
              AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
              After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
              Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

I am currently scheduled for robotic myectomy in NYC July 5th 2017. I have heard all the pros & cons on it that I care to. Even some of local cardiologist were calling it "sexy" and "not sure why you want that done. Most of my other local cardiologists just wanted to put in an ICD and call it a day. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Comment

Best of luck to you....I have not read the literature ... and I'm sure you have. So I will just pick your brain a little. .
                  The benefit of this is that there is no sternotomy correct? But you still have to go on cardio-pulmonary bypass right?
                  Do you have Mitral valve issues or just septal obstruction? Where is your obstruction? Base (top)middle or Apical ( bottom) of the septum? Who at NYC does the surgery? We will be watching your success!!! Keep us posted.
                  After years of symptoms:
                  Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
                  Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
                  Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
                  At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Yes, the benefit is no sternotomy so the recovery time is nearly half plus less of a risk of infection, etc. Yes, I will still need to go on the cardio-pulmonary bypass machine. I have obstruction (HOCM) in the left ventrical and I have heard about the not being able to go all the way down to the base with the robotic. But, I my HOCM did not become a problem for me until around age 40. Presently, I am age 53. So, I am not looking to take me necessarily back to zero, if I can get back to 10 years ago that would be great but of course, no doctor is going to be able to tell you exactly how much they can remove until they get in there and start looking at it. His name is Dr. Sloane Guy and here is his website.......https://roboticheartsurgeon.com/dr-t-sloane-guy-bio/

Comment

https://news.weill.cornell.edu/news/...chnical-assist

Comment

i had the septal myectomy and mitrel valve fixed by Dr using the DeVinci device. recovery was much faster and fell much better.

Comment

I'm glad you are doing well! A pioneer on this forum. I'm interested to hear how your symptoms are compared to pre- op also....Did you have an echocardiogram post op? How was your LVOT gradient?
                          After years of symptoms:

Comment

seem to have better breathing, no more out of breath when walking. all i know is all the tests they did after surgery, the Dr's all said results were great. they also installed an ICD which they claim is working perfectly. still doing cardiac rehab 2x a week based on my work schedule.

Comment

So, I thought that I would update everyone on the Robotic Septal Myectomy that I had done at Weil-Corell Presbytrian Hospital in NYC on July 5th. It was successfully completed using the Divinci Machine and performed by Dr. T. Sloane Guy. My gradient went from a 3.0 to a 1.2 and Dr. Guy stated that it was some of the most mucsle that he had removed. He also did a mitral valve repair (not a replacement) using a bovine patch. I spent 3 days in the ICU and 1 day in the step down unit before I was released. I had to stay in the NYC area awaiting a 10 day follow up with Dr. Guy, and during that time I was able to travel and actually walk around for a few hours each day sightseeing. Dr. Guy fully released me on July 18th with NO restrictions.

As of yesterday, (7/27) it has been 3 weeks since the surgery and my four (4) port holes have nearly completely healed and other than some bouts of being tired I am NO longer short of breath on my minor dog walks. I did have some issues with my blood pressure spiking and I am still on a plethora of medications. And I am still on Lasix removing some of my fluid off of my body. (Dr. Guy uses fluid instead of air for the surgery) However, since I was released on July 9th I have only taken over the counter Tylenol for any minor pain nothing stronger. I have driven my car and I have run errands and have gone out to eat.

So why robotic vs. traditional. In short, healing time. With the traditional septal there is a longer healing / pain issue to deal with. I am a High School teacher and I needed to return to the classroom on August 8th. Couldn't have done that with a traditional septal.

I do realize that robotic is not for everyone and I don't want in any way to minimize the actual procedure. I was on the heart / lung bypass machine and I was intubated. And for at least 24-48 hours it was serious stuff especially during my ICU stay on a ton of IV meds, Cather, pain, etc. But, 3 weeks out and I'm almost back to normal with a new lease on life and no zipper on my chest and that you can't beat.

I would highly recommend Dr. Guy for this procedure. He is more than well qualified in my opinion and I was very happy with his bed-side manner as well that of his staff.

NOTE: I live in Florida and was able to do all my pre-op stuff for Dr. Guy locally. I had one face to face with Dr. Guy 3 days before surgery and then at least 2 other visits with him. Then once released back to Florida. I got home last Sunday (07/21).

Comment

It is really great to hear your direct experience....hopefully all aspects of medicine and surgery evolve to offer us more choices....Just the one ? In your reporting .... I'm wondering if you meant your septal thickness went from 3.0 to 1.2 cm.....rather than your gradient. Traditionally gradients go from 50-150 mm hg down to 0-5 mm hg after myectomy. Your echo report usually has both. Glad to hear you are doing well!!
                                After years of symptoms:

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X