If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myectomy done Jan 6, 2015

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

luugar Find out more about luugar
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myectomy done Jan 6, 2015

I struggled to make the surgery decision but things got bad where I knew I couldn't live like this at age 43. I went to Tufts in Boston,MA. I did very well with surgery and stayed in hospital 4 days, I was scared to leave because I felt it was so soon, but I know my doctor was excellent through the procedure and wouldn't make that call if he didn't think I was ready. I feel a difference in breathing they had me climb a flight of stairs it is amazing to think it's already different feeling for me in a short time. I know recovery has its ups and downs, who knew how hard it would be to get into bed. I will try to update more as I progress. I'm glad we have this site.

Re: Myectomy done Jan 6, 2015

So Happy for you! It is amazing to be able to leave the hospital so soon after open heart surgery isn't it?
    One thing that helped me feel more secure was transitioning back to my local Cardiologist as soon as I got home. I spoke to my local cardiologist the day after I got back to Denver, it was a Friday and he actually gave me his personal cell phone # for over the weekend ! Then he squeezed me into his appointment schedule for the upcoming Tuesday. I felt I had a local safety net since the COE is a thousand miles away from my home.
    I'm sure Tufts gave you a number to call if any questions come up. Don't be afraid to use it. Also, Don t try to be a hero and skimp on pain meds.......take what you need so you can deep breathe, cough and take walks.
    Good Luck and let us know how you are doing.
    Last edited by JillC; 01-10-2015, 10:49 AM.
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Sounds like you are doing well. Continue success with your recovery. I will be in Boston for surgery on the 15 th. Nice to hear the confidence you had with Tuft's.
      Best,
      Ron

Comment

Congratulations on getting on the schedule! Now "all" you have to do is wait!

Gordon
        Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Gordon....looks like the waiting is over ....and he is already home recovering! Great way to start the New Year don't you think?
          After years of symptoms:

Comment

I hope you begin to feel much better now that you've had the surgery!

If you don't mind me asking, how enlarged was your septum, what symptoms did you have and did you try medications for a while first?

Carrie

Comment

Wow - congratulations! Here's to an uneventful recovery!

Just keep blowing into the thingy they gave you, and keep walking!

Gordon
              Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Mine was a year ago yesterday. You're going to do great. Like Gordon said, keep blowing on the breathy thingy and walking a lot. Let people help you lift things and such. You will heal fast. I was back to work 11 days but in diminished capacity; stoned on opiates for 4 weeks until I started to drive. My surgeon said 10 weeks to full strength but it was 12 weeks for me; found out the hard way. I'm 55 so a guy in your 40's should do real well.

Good luck and keep us posted.
                Angus Campbell
                Golden Isles Region, Southeast Georgia, USA

Dx'd HOCM at St Luke's Roosevelt, New York City, 2005
                Myectomy Jan 9th 2014 at Cleveland Clinic
                Drs Lever and Smedira

Comment

Happy Anniversary Angus! Seems like yesterday you were posting about that cruel Cleveland winter when you went for your myectomy.....Glad you are doing so well! You were the poster child of success that helped convince me to head to a COE for a redo.... Along with all the other voices of reason here on the HCMA forum!
                  I still can't climb stairs with cases of Gatorade but I can swing a hefty bag of trash into a 6 ft high dumpster... Not nearly as glamorous but quite a feat for the 65 year old myectomy times two.....LOL
                  Hope our posts help keep your spirits up Joel!
                  Last edited by JillC; 01-11-2015, 12:11 PM.
                  After years of symptoms:

Comment

Hope your recovery goes very smoothly!
                    Diagnosed with HCM in 1992
                    Myectomy at Johns Hopkins in April 2013

Comment

Congrats luggar! Glad you are already feeling better and hope that you continue to improve. Please, keep us updated on your recovery. It's very inspirational to those of us that are waiting for surgery. And you'll get good tips from those that have already been through it.
                      At least 5 years of symptoms.
                      07/24/14: Age 45, diagnosed with HCM w/ obstruction.
                      09/30/14: Tested at Cleveland Clinic (Ohio).
                      January 2015: Approved for surgery.
                      03/05/15: Pending myectomy & possible mitral valve replacement at Cleveland Clinic

Comment

Carrie I have had hcm since I was ten,but symptoms were manageable with medications for many years. The last four years things got tougher as I got more active. This past year I passed out and had lightheadedness here and there. I knew it was time to do surgery, it had been mentioned by doctor's before, but I wasn't ready. Medications I had taken 20 plus years, my septum was large I don't know the exact measure, pressure in chest was very high, that's why symptoms got so bad. Hope this helps, feel free to chat. Joel

Comment

A caution in that I was very active prior to having problems, and was a collegiate varsity gymnast so what has happened for me may not be typical for you. My surgery was two months and two days ago. I was home from the hospital after five days, and back to work after eight days, and back at the gym after 14 days.......two months in my sternum is healed and I am jogging 5-6 miles a day outdoors in Chicago...on days where the air temp is > 20 degrees and everything is working just fine. A couple of bumps in the road due to non-cardiac issues....but it is all possible. Take it easy, follow doctors advice and it does work. I had everything done at Northwestern Memorial so my COE and local is one in the same.

Comment

Congratulations mate,good to read you are doing so well,is only 4 days in hospital for open heart surgery some kind of record absolutly astonishing,although they do say people recover better in their home environment,all the best....Dave.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I am following docs orders and today was my first pt session. It went well, I'm trying to pay attention to how I feel when I do the exercises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X