If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myectomy at Northwestern Memorial on Nov. 10

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Jordan Z. Find out more about Jordan Z.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Myectomy at Northwestern Memorial on Nov. 10

Yup, what you describe sounds like you are on a recovery course that most of us have experienced. Keep goin' Jordan, you're doing great!!
    Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
    Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
    ICD 10/08

Comment

Welcome back from the dark side. We are all glad to hear your signal loud and clear after 24 hours of static. Remember every 4 or 6 hours gets easier for reaching, scratching and picking up the TV remote. Soon you will be typing fast again and that's the only thing worrying us . But since you have been out, President Obama has announced a major initiative for Net Neutrality , so you may not have to compete with NetFlix.

Seriously, so glad you are doing well.
      Last edited by angusjcampbell; 11-12-2014, 12:32 PM.
      Angus Campbell
      Golden Isles Region, Southeast Georgia, USA

Dx'd HOCM at St Luke's Roosevelt, New York City, 2005
      Myectomy Jan 9th 2014 at Cleveland Clinic
      Drs Lever and Smedira

Comment

You are definitely on schedule. My cardiologist said the LBBB is a sign of a good myectomy....usually stays for life, I did not have LBBB after my first myectomy but developed one after my second myectomy. It really causes no problem. Your heart just uses an alternate electrical pathway to get it's work done.
        After years of symptoms:
        Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
        Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
        Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
        At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Originally posted by angusjcampbell View Post
          Welcome back from the dark side. We are all glad to hear your signal loud and clear after 24 hours of static. Remember every 4 or 6 hours gets easier for reaching, scratching and picking up the TV remote. Soon you will be typing fast again and that's the only thing worrying us . But since you have been out, President Obama has announced a major initiative for Net Neutrality , so you may not have to compete with NetFlix.

Seriously, so glad you are doing well.
          LMAO....I am not complaining....I was concerned to watch the cardiologist scratch his head and say...hmmm....you do have a heart.

Comment

All great to hear - continued best wishes for a speedy and uncomplicated recovery! Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Linda View Post
              All great to hear - continued best wishes for a speedy and uncomplicated recovery! Linda
              Thanks much..I am not going to question so long as it works.......I consider myself very lucky

Comment

Okay.... Nurse Jill can't hold back...How are your BUN and creatinine doing?.....Hope all is Okay in the Kidney Department.
                After years of symptoms:

Comment

Originally posted by JillC View Post
                  Okay.... Nurse Jill can't hold back...How are your BUN and creatinine doing?.....Hope all is Okay in the Kidney Department.
                  Creatinine today 1.85 yesterday 2.2....and a special treat...

Comment

Awesome!
                    After years of symptoms:

Comment

So I think they are going to throw me out of here tomorrow..guess they had enough :P

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Z. View Post
                        So I think they are going to throw me out of here tomorrow..guess they had enough :P
                        That's a good sign! They were going to send me out post op day #4 but were threatening to send me out with oxygen....so my nurse suggested to them I stay one more night and prove I didn't need it. So I walked and breathed deep all day long and made it through the night by the skin of my teeth with 89-90% sats during deep sleep.....Of course I got back to the thin air here in Denver and wished I had a tank with me!
                        Do you feel ready to go?? I'm single and I gave my daughter a grocery shopping list for easy to fix meal stuff so my fridge and freezer had lots of choices when I got home.....Chicken soup was the best.
                        After years of symptoms:

Comment

I realize that this may come as a shock to some....but so far, recovery has followed the same script that I had anticipated...not arguing but, not complaining either....and good results aren't so bad......no major new symptoms......a bit of LBBB, but no afib or anything similar. Incisional paid has beened treated with 4mg of dilauded every 2 hours oral....and no bites in the butt. Going home tomorrow...and the weather is pretty cold even for Chicago.....need to have the motorcycle conversation with Dr. McCarthy tomorrow.....we shall see how that goes..

However, I continue to be amazed and awed that things have been pretty uneventful. GFR is up to 36 which is the highest it has been in close to a year. So if it isn't acting up I am not complaining. Started doing laps in ernest and stairs....they are saying 2-3 weeks to start full blown cardiac rehab at Rehab Institute of Chicago...if they are happy then so am I.
                          Last edited by Jordan Z.; 11-14-2014, 12:43 AM.

Comment

The one thing I have stating unequivocally is that there there is nothing at CCF or Mayo Rochester that I couldn't have gotten at Northwestern. We can go back and forth on any aspect and if someone were looking for a team to handle HCM Dr. McCarthy is as good of a cardiothoracic surgeon as you could find anywhere and Drs. Bonow and Choudhury are as capable of a pair of cardiologists as you will find anywhere. Anyone that is in need of very high quality medical professionals either in their own field or for supporting teams won't be disappointed by NMH....and the physical facilities are second to none. And besides that Chicago is a World Class City to spend some time in.

Comment

Originally posted by Redteamer View Post
                              Will keep you in prayer. It won't be quite what you planned for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              Actually up to this point it has proven to be EXACTLY what I planned for, and there clearly is a go ahead to get started back to work next week...so I think I am more than happy to follow the advice of my doctors.

Comment

Having your experience at Northwestern documented here on the forum is the best testament you can give for those who come here to gather information about where to go for HCM care and Surgery. I'm glad you are having a stellar recovery. Keep us posted!
                                After years of symptoms:

Comment

Working...
                                X