If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myectomy at Northwestern Memorial on Nov. 10

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Jordan Z. Find out more about Jordan Z.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Myectomy at Northwestern Memorial on Nov. 10

Originally posted by Heartbeat View Post
    Jordan...looks like you are in great hands with Dr. McCarthy as he has what looks to be an excellent history in treating heart disease. I'm curious as to how many myectomy's he has performed?
    He has done > 10,000 open heart surgeries, and 3,000 plus valve surgeries....if you look through this forum his name appears in quite a few threads, and candidly I have absolutely no concern...if I remember tomorrow morning I will ask him..and will just hope his response doesn't say anything about having stayed at a Holiday Inn....my situation is such that the procedure should be very straight forward....if you are curious, a link to his biography is at the bottom of the first post in this thread.

Comment

OK....its almost 10:30PM and I just finished shaving, my last hot shower for some time, and scrub down with anti-bacterial soap, and I am off to bed for what I imagine is going to be the last decent night's sleep in my own bed for some time. I am heading downtown to NMH at 6AM for a 7AM date with the people that do the prep and an 8:30AM date with a scalpel and a saw....my guess is that I wind up in Recovery somewhere around 3-4PM tomorrow and then the fun begins in earnest.....the two first good signs will obviously be making it to recovery, and getting the breathing tube pulled......which will be an important step for me. I was hospitalized last September and spent nine days intubated and that is not high on my list of favorite things. Thanks to most everyone for the words of encouragement...I am bringing both my iPhone and my laptop with me and will pop back up as soon as they let me....I do apologize in advance because my eyes and fingers are probably going to be functional long before my brain is. All of the prayers, thoughts and suggestions appreciated......here we go. I may update one more time on the ride down to the hospital. Surprisingly, I am absolutely calm and am going to sleep well tonight.

Comment

Refuah Shelaima!

Translation - Wishing you a quick and complete recovery!

Comment

Originally posted by galileegirl View Post
          Refuah Shelaima!

Translation - Wishing you a quick and complete recovery!
          Thank you and you don't need the translation....my Hebrew is reasonably fluent......on my way to the hospital.

Comment

Pleasant Dreams Jordan......You may not need the translation but the rest of us do.... So Thanks Galilee
            After years of symptoms:
            Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
            Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
            Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
            At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

You will be out of the OR well before 3 or 4 pm. It typically is only a 3-4 hr case. Looking forward to your next posting.
              Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
              Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
              ICD 10/08

Comment

And no Recovery Room .....Direct to ICU.
                After years of symptoms:

Comment

It was 5 hours...extended Myectomy...2.4....zero gradient, a stitch around mitral leaflets, no papillary, no cordae, valves and arteries clear...4 hours pipe out....a bit of high flow O2, out of ICU next morning in chair, walked 150 ft., and it's me not someone typing for me 2nd morning

Comment

Glad to hear it went well.

Gordon
                    Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Me too up and walking

Comment

Welcome to the "Myectomites", the other group you wish you never had to join.
                        Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
                        Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
                        ICD 10/08

Comment

Good to hear your "voice" Jordan.I knew in my heart all was well....but my brain was demanding validation. Very Happy for you, welcome to the club! Also
                          I'm going to frame your first post op post as I'm sure it's the shortest one we will ever see from you LOL
                          Jill
                          After years of symptoms:

Comment

Good to "hear" you are well on your way to recovery!
                            Megan, wife to Husband, Justin with HOCM
                            Husband diagnosed at 37 when taken to ER due to CHF on vacation in San Diego at Pomerado Hospital, March 2014
                            Seeing Dr. Salcedo in UC Med Hospital Denver upon diagnosis
                            AICD/Pacemaker July 2014 @ UC Med Hospital, Denver with Dr. Nguyen
                            Myectomy at Cleveland Clinic October 2014 with Dr. Smedira
                            Parents to 3 boys, 11, 8, and 6 all currently clear from recent echos

Comment

Follow instructions, breath, rest, walk, medicate. Repeat as needed. Glad your doing OK and welcome to the club - your decoder ring is on its way!
                              Marc
                              Diagnosed @ 48
                              Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                              Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                              AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                              After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                              Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

I am up and walking......no arrythmia of any kind....extended myectomy....gradient from 165 to ), no papillary or cordae resect.....some LBBB but doing great...head is clear of anesthesia and incision is startng to turn purple.....I was in a chair first morning and walking yesterday evening.....stairs this morning...so I think I am doing pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                                X