If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large Cupped (L or M) Bras For After Surgery?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

I am Darlene I had symptoms for at least 5 years that I now know were from HCM. My PCP didn't know why I was having symptoms. I changed doctors in 2014 for a "new perspective." After some misdiagnoses (high blood pressure, bronchitis, asthma) the new doctor sent me for an echo when she detected a heart murmur after several appointments with her. An echocardiogram in July 2014 showed I had HCM with obstruction. The cardiologist that my PCP referred me to wasn't experienced with HCM. After much frustration, I found a cardiologist with experience with HCM and am so glad I found him. I also see Dr. Thamilarasan at Cleveland Clinic. My obstruction is unusual in that it's my papillary muscle that's enlarged and causing the obstruction (which makes me cough A LOT!). My septum is only slightly enlarged. It was also discovered during the cardiac cath that I have a rare type of anomalous coronary artery. I always knew I was special on the inside. . . but not in this way. LOL!!!! Find out more about I am Darlene
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Cupped (L or M) Bras For After Surgery?

I've read that women with large breasts should wear supportive, front close, non-underwire bras after surgery to prevent the weight of the shifting breast from pulling the incision open.

I don't know for a fact that I will need surgery but have a feeling that I will. It takes me so long to find bras that fit in general even without the front close, non-underwire stipulation. So, I'm starting the search for post surgical bras now in case I need them. If I don't need them, then I'll just wear them as normal bras.

Where do women buy large-cupped front close, non-underwire bras? Or large-cupped post-surgical bras? I've tried all the normal online bra sources I could find. I've ordered some bras from HerRoom and know that I'll need larger than a J cup. Probably L cup. I have more on order to better determine my size but think it will be a 36M or 38L. (My breasts seem to keep growing. Grrrrr!!!)

So, any suggestions on sources? Any particular brands/styles? I've been Googling like crazy for days and can't find those cup sizes in front close, non-underwire except for the Elila Jacquard Softcup Front Close (style 1515) that I currently have on order. I'll have them next week and can report back if anyone else is looking for the same thing. If they don't work, I need other options.
    At least 5 years of symptoms.
    07/24/14: Age 45, diagnosed with HCM w/ obstruction.
    09/30/14: Tested at Cleveland Clinic (Ohio).
    January 2015: Approved for surgery.
    03/05/15: Pending myectomy & possible mitral valve replacement at Cleveland Clinic

Re: Large Cupped (L or M) Bras For After Surgery?

I'd slow down a bit and not get ahead of yourself. Hospitals carry a surgical binder bra that is placed immediately after surgery. So you don't have to worry about the "immediate" post op time. If and when surgery is indicated and a surgeon is identified, I'd talk to his nurse and see what they recommend. Unless of course, you want some front closure lingerie.
    Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
    Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
    ICD 10/08

Comment

Also, for future reference I believe you can find a seamstress to convert a regular bra or two to a front closure bra.
      After years of symptoms:
      Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
      Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
      Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
      At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

I can't imagine living with these symptoms for years. I'm not living. I'm not able to do anything but sit around. I can't work (earn an income). I can't get groceries, do housework, etc. I have construction items to finish on our new house (tile shower, install doors, stain and install interior trim, hang drywall in basement, hang cabinets, paint rooms, etc.) I've always been a hands-on person and did a lot of the construction on our house myself and there's more to do. I can't do them as I feel now. So, I do believe surgery will be needed. Even if it isn't needed now, it will be needed at some point in my life (sooner than later). It won't hurt for me to have a line to post-op bars in my size. Trying to find bras my size is hard enough without the added stipulation of front close and non-underwire. I don't want to try on lots of bras when I'm still healing either. I want to do it now so I at least know what size, brand, style I'll need when the time comes. I plan to buy one bra now that works and buy more later when needed.

If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful.
        03/05/15: Pending myectomy & possible mitral valve replacement at Cleveland Clinic

Comment

Jill, that's a GREAT idea!!!! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!!!!

Comment

Before my breast reduction, I bought my bras at an actual bra shop. They would come in and help me find a bra to fit me. Usually going a size or two up around would make the cup size a little more generous even though we did not go up in cup size. They would alter the bra for me. They would move in the back straps about 1/2" to keep the straps from sliding over my round shoulders, they would take up the extra "around" inches and sometimes adjust the cup a bit. They also carried swimsuits and other garments specifically for the large busted woman. So, maybe you have something like that in your town. We had to travel about 1 1/2 hours to get to the bra shop, but it was so worth it. The bras were no more expensive than buying them at JC Penneys. Hope this helps.
            Luke 1:37 For with God nothing shall be impossible!
            2004 Diagnosed with HCM
            2010 Extended Septal Myectomy, Mayo Clinic with Dr. Dearani on 9/23/10
            2011 5 of 8 children tested and found negative
            2012 Hypothyroidism secondary to Thyroid ablation
            2013 A-Fib
            2013 Inconclusive genetic testing
            2013 April Fool's Day found me getting an ICD!!!
            2013 Second Myectomy with papillary muscle resection and tricuspid valve repair, Mayo Clinic with Dr. Dearani on 10/11/13

Comment

After my first myectomy, the one done locally, not at COE, they gave me a front closure breast binder in ICU. It helped quite a bit with the pulling pain on the incision. However, by day 2, it felt too tight and was restricting my deep breathing exercises so I asked for a larger size and they didn't have one! I'm only a D cup.
              So I took it off and never wore it again ... But did like the support of my regular bras when I got home.
              I never wear under wires and I always twist my bras around and bring the hooks in front because it's easier, then twist them back and put my arms through.... So never bought new front closure bras.
              At Mayo they didn't offer a breast binder, though I'm sure I could have asked. I found using the heart pillow to cough was enough for me.
              After years of symptoms:
              Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
              Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
              Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
              At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Carolin, thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep that in mind if the bras that I ordered don't work or I can't make them work myself.

Jill, I am concerned that they won't have one of the heavy duty surgical bras/vests that will fit me. (It's actually a question I plan to ask after my testing, if they say I need surgery.) That's another reason why I want to make sure I have something picked out if I need it. Smaller-breasted women don't understand how much large breasts move just from changing body positions. (I know because I use to be smaller-breasted and couldn't comprehend why large-breasted women complained so much about their breasts. Now that I'm large-breasted, I completely get it now. Not wearing a bra for a day or two, even when just sitting around and not doing anything, is very painful because of the weight.) To have the movement tug on an incision is not good. I've read lots of stories about incisions opening up on large-breasted women that didn't wear good support during the healing phase. I want to avoid that.

I think your suggestion of turning a back-closing bra into a front-closing bra is fantastic! Thank you for sharing that idea. If the front close bras that I ordered don't fit, then I can modify the larger-cupped back close bras that I also ordered as back up. I feel better now. Thanks.

Comment

Did a Google search for "post-op bra" and found this on Amazon -- http://www.amazon.com/Post-Surgical-.../dp/B0017VX6F2.

There were a lot of listings but the Amazon is the only I looked at.

Comment

Hi,

I am going to have a myectomy very soon and am in the same boat as you! I searched for a large size ...found them online but they cost about $70 ea. I found a sports bra at Lane Bryant (not sure if you need the plus size) that is front closure...buy one get one....it is a little tight for right after but I'm going to try to find the bra extenders which are the hooks and eyes that attach to the hook and eye on the bra and make it a little bigger. I'm planning to search tomorrow afternoon so if I find them I will let you know where. You can google it...they say that they are available in Kohls but I'm not sure...maybe a bra shop would have them too. The sports bras are soft and pretty comfortable.

Comment

I found that I was not comfortable wearing a bra for at least a week or two after my surgery. I wore v neck tshirts or tank tops that exposed my incision for the first couple of weeks as I couldn't handle anything touching the incision. I just let the girls hang free, even though that would not normally be my choice. I had bought all of these front closing bras, but honestly I did not wear them much.
                      Daughter of Father with HCM
                      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Frosty, I found lots of surgical bras but none that would accommodate large breasts. If I order the largest size, it might fit my breasts but the band would be way too loose. If I order one that the that band fits, then the breast area would be way too small. That's the problem.

schwabie, I tried Lane Bryant bras a few years ago. They only went up to an H cup. At that time I needed a J cup. J cups are too small now because my breasts keep growing. I'm not sure what size you are looking for but this is what I have on order. I don't like how high the center gore is though but it's all I could find without the underwire, with a front close and in the cup size I think I'll need.

Elila Jacquard Softcup Front Close Bra: http://www.herroom.com/elila-1515-ja...tcup-bra.shtml

In case that doesn't work, I also ordered this similar style:
                        Elila Jacquard Softcup w/ Cushioned Straps (Back Close) Bra: http://www.herroom.com/elila-1305-ja...d-straps.shtml
                        As Jill suggested, I may have to modify this into a front close. Maybe even modify the front so the incision gets more air.

They are supposed to be here on Wednesday. I can let you know what I think of them if you want.

Cynaburst, I wish I could not wear any bra. If I go a day without a bra my breasts, shoulders and neck really hurt from the weight of them. Even with a properly fitted bra my shoulders and neck still hurt. I really need a supportive bra. With a cracked sternum and incision, from what I've read and can imagine, it would be even more important to keep my breasts from pulling on the sternum and incisions in addition to avoiding the normal pain caused by not wearing a supportive bra.
                        Last edited by I am Darlene; 09-16-2014, 03:26 AM.

Comment

If I right, I guess you are looking for plus size bras. It is necessary and quite important for you to wear large bras for protection and recovery after the surgery. Sometimes you might need special made bras if your situation is not so good. But in general, you can buy those intimates from online, which will be more cost-effective and time-saving because there are many different styles of soft cup bra for you to choose. And you don't need to go to town to the store. You can do that at home with network connected.

Lace Bralette Top is perfect for a sexy hot look
                          Last edited by TysonPrince; 06-28-2017, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                          X