If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scar treatment.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

angusjcampbell Retired from Healthcare Telecomm in NY City in 2004. Diagnosed with HCM in 2005, moved to Golden Isles region of SE Georgia in 2006. Now working for a non-profit ministry called International Seafarers Center at the busy seaport in Brunswick . Find out more about angusjcampbell
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scar treatment.

Anyone use Kelo-cote or one of it's look-a-likes for treatment of scars post-op? A few years ago my wife used it when she had plastic surgery on her face following a dog bite. That kind of healing mattered a lot of course considering the location of the wounds and the stuff seemed to help (cant see the scars now) but we had no control to compare to.

I'm told that my 8 inch zipper will fade to near nothing in two years by itself (and I had considered putting a "YKK" logo next to it). And I'm not exactly going to be in a Chippendale's line up anytime soon, so is it worth the bother and expense?

I forgot to ask the folks at CCF and I'll ask my locals but wondered if anyone here had experience with it.

Thanks
    Angus Campbell
    Golden Isles Region, Southeast Georgia, USA

Dx'd HOCM at St Luke's Roosevelt, New York City, 2005
    Myectomy Jan 9th 2014 at Cleveland Clinic
    Drs Lever and Smedira

Re: Scar treatment.

It may fade and then it may just keloid up. Mine keloided up causing what felt like terminal itching and the inability to sit up straight. (lucky me). I had my scar injected with a steroid at my dermatologist office. Guess what? My scar (which I'm very proud of) is hardly noticeable.
    Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
    Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
    ICD 10/08

Comment

My myectomy was 7 yrs ago. My scar is still noticeable, though not keloid.

Gordon
      Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

I used a silicone gel sheeting. I also used on my aICD scar. My scars are quite flat. The one I used is called Cica Care. In ordered online.
        Daughter of Father with HCM
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

My Myectomy scar is now 11 months old and still very prominent,i also have 2 small scars below the main zipper where the tubes went in my chest,what with the messy ICD scars twice implanted with ICD my chest is starting to resemble a google road map,interesting about the gels, i think woman would struggle more with this issue as most fellas my age cover up and my wife is gratefull for it.

Comment

It has been almost 2 years since my surgery, and all of mine are keloided and hurts quite a bit. When I was at CCF I asked what I could use on it and they told me not to put anything on it other than sunscreen when I tan. But then again, I didn't have the best care or experience there. Funny thing though, I know I'm going to have a bad heart day by how red the top of the scar is. Almost like an indicator light lol
            Missie
            HCM diagnosed 8/1/11
            changed to HOCM 1/23/12
            Septal Myectomy 4/5/12 at CCF
            Gene positive, no one in my immediate family is willing to be tested, including my 21 year old son

Comment

Working...
            X