If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tubes

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

angusjcampbell Retired from Healthcare Telecomm in NY City in 2004. Diagnosed with HCM in 2005, moved to Golden Isles region of SE Georgia in 2006. Now working for a non-profit ministry called International Seafarers Center at the busy seaport in Brunswick . Find out more about angusjcampbell
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes

Thanks so much Marc and Laura for the warning about intubation. I have resigned myself to tubes. The other day I had to climb stairs and carry boxes and it sucked, so I am like " bring on the tubes; bring on the freeking tubes; plug me, drain me, cut me, bring on the tubes!" Some of them sound convenient, like "beer in up here, beer out down there, how handy!" I just hope I pass the three days of tests - MRIs, x-rays, echos, cardiac cath -(I am studying so hard). I am just so grateful for the opportunity to be treated at CCF.
    Last edited by angusjcampbell; 01-04-2014, 08:21 AM.
    Angus Campbell
    Golden Isles Region, Southeast Georgia, USA

Dx'd HOCM at St Luke's Roosevelt, New York City, 2005
    Myectomy Jan 9th 2014 at Cleveland Clinic
    Drs Lever and Smedira

Re: Tubes

Hi Angus -
    What a great thought about the beer tubes....it would make life so much easier.
    And the three days of tests....they were stressful, although, I put off all my studying until the last minute - as usual - ha ha
    Actually, by the time I had finished most of the tests - all I had left was the stress test and the cardiologist took one look at my other tests and decided there was no possible way he was putting me on a treadmill - he then proceeded to set the appointment with the surgeon for the following morning.

Like I said, I think the best possible advice anyone ever gave me was to not freak out when I woke up with a tube down my throat. Your first instinct is that something went wrong, but it's not the case. It's just to keep your oxygen levels up. I remember saying to myself right before they put me under....there will be a tube in your throat when you wake up....just to try to help me remember so I didn't freak out.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me: [email protected]

Best of luck. And while the recovery sucks (not gonna lie), the end result is amazing.

Laura
    Diagnosed with HOCM 11/03
    A-Fib 4/09
    Ramipril 2.5mg
    Baby Aspirin

Myectomy 1/3/11 - Mayo Clinic - Dr. Schaff
    Maze Procedure 1/3/11 - Mayo Clinic - Dr. Schaff

Mom to two crazy dogs

Comment

I found that by the time I was awake enough to notice the tube in my throat, they were asking me "Are you ready to get that tube out of your throat?" to which I nodded an emphatic "Yes"!... When I worked as an RN in an open heart ICU years ago we used to keep everyone on a ventilator over night, sedated with a tube in their throat. Now, if all is stable its only 6-8 hours.
      After years of symptoms:
      Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
      Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
      Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
      At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Yes, I only had the tube for a little while that I was aware of before they removed it. And I had been terrified of it before, but it was really a non-issue. I even remember writing the nurse a note when I still had it in, but I was very calm and it was not scary at all.
        Daughter of Father with HCM
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

The tube was my biggest fear since I'm terrified of not being able to breathe. I panicked every time I woke up and it was still in there, but I'd just hit my morphine pump and knock myself back out lol Thank God for morphine!
          Missie
          HCM diagnosed 8/1/11
          changed to HOCM 1/23/12
          Septal Myectomy 4/5/12 at CCF
          Gene positive, no one in my immediate family is willing to be tested, including my 21 year old son

Comment

Hmmmm. I don't even remember having tubes down my throat at all. Of course I know I did... My wife told me they took it out about 18 hours after I went under. I do remember the cake n ice cream (it was my b-day) that same day but not much more the day after surgery.
            The tubes in my abdomen, that was a different story. They didn't come out for 3(?) days if I remember right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Dx'ed 4/11 with "left ventricular hypertrophy"
            Re-dx'ed by a new cardiologist 4/13 at age 51 with possible HCM.
            Went to Tufts 7/13 and verified HCM with obstruction.
            Going in for a Myectomy and a Maze procedure on 11/13/13

Comment

Hey good luck hope all goes well.

Comment

Hello

I remember the tubes. The bad thing for me was I wanted to communicate with the nurse and she took that as being combative and put me out. I wanted to tell her I wanted more air. Since no one has mentioned this, chances are that your hands will be tied down. That was something I did not know about and it did freak me out a little. Now that you know, hopefully you will not freak.

Did I mention I cycle across Iowa, play sports, have not had a-fib, no sycnope episodes, will probably live a normal lifespan and in general feel awesome?

Best of luck to you, but you will probably not need it. CCF was awesome to me and many others

Scott
                Every day is a present I was diagnosed when I was 38, I have asthma which made me assume it was ashtma, getting old, and being about 30 lbs over what I should be. I have days when I would rather not know. Myectomy club 3Jan06 CCF, my life is so much better!!!!

Comment

Hmm. I think they generally use restraints if you try to yank the tubes out yourself. I know that's what happened with me - I came to a bit too fast, went for the tubes before they could calmly remind me that I had them there and it was OK and that I should leave them alone. Then I came to again, this time with restraints on . . . some time later the nurse asked if I could promise not to mess with the tubes if he removed the restraints. I remember thinking "Well, who can say WHAT they might do in the future," and then realizing "He's not going to take them off unless I nod my head. OK, nod your head." I did and the restraints came off.

Gordon
                  Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Funny how we make important decisions loaded on narcotics. I never had restraints, at least in the hospital. . .
                    Marc
                    Diagnosed @ 48
                    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Having been an SICU nurse for decades...it is sad but true that restraints are necessary. When patients start yanking at chest tubes and pacing wires their life is at risk.....often just talking someone down is not enough, hopefully a bit of happy drug sedation can ease them through the rough spot....However, its a fine balance...if you are too sedated you won't breathe well enough to earn the right to have the endotracheal tube (breathing tube) out. Usually once that one is out, we can talk people out of pulling the other ones. I did wake up with restraints on after my myectomy, but again, when I was awake enough to notice, I was awake enough to be extubated. My biggest fear was that they would wreck the silastic implant I have in my paralyzed right vocal cord (that's another story) when they took the breathing tube out. They must have done a good job because I can still talk
                      After years of symptoms:

Comment

Well I just got to experience it for myself. According to my wife, who was assisting the nurse bring me to, and before I was fully conscious, I reflexively tried to grab for the tubes. They needed only to gently hold my hands down without physical restraints. I remember none of that. I remember that when slowly coming to, and starting to recognize the room (which took longer than I would have thought), I recognized the tubes that I was expecting and embraced their presence. The breather tube was gone soon enough.

Now to lose the chest tubes. As for the Foley, that's pretty handy and I think I'll keep it!
                        Angus Campbell

Drs Lever and Smedira

Comment

Angus....Glad to hear you have come to the otherside of your surgery!! You're probably getting up to a chair today....hard to believe? It will be a few days before you get rid of chest tubes and pacing wires. However, the foley goes soon because it is high risk for infection.........Next hurdle after all that? All I can say is, you might want to request prune juice on a nightly basis.
                          Glad to hear your "voice". Let us know if you hear from Jimmy
                          Blessings!
                          After years of symptoms:

Comment

The other guys are downstairs in privates. Tubes come out when we get my BP down enough to blow off the ICU and go to a private.
                            Angus Campbell

Drs Lever and Smedira

Comment

So far, you're progressing a lot faster than I did . . . hope you keep doing so!

Gordon
                              Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Working...
                              X