If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Myectomy Patient 4/16/2013 (Duke University Medical Center)

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

BryanA My name is Bryan and I am a 49 year old male, and I was diagnosed with obstructive HCM back in 2002. It has been poorly managed with beta blockers and calcium channel blockers up until now. At this point, I have recently had a septal myectomy on April 16th, 2013 at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, NC. My surgeon was Dr. Donald D. Glower, Jr. There are several members of my mother's family that have or had HCM. Before surgery, I had a resting, unprovoked LVOT gradient of 93mmHg while on meds, so I was quite symptomatic. Alcohol ablation was not recommended in my case. I am eagerly looking forward to what improvements the myectomy has brought once the healing has completed! Find out more about BryanA
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Myectomy Patient 4/16/2013 (Duke University Medical Center)

My name is Bryan and I'm almost two weeks out from having my Myectomy at Duke University Hospital and am now recovering at home. Dr. Donald D. Glower and the team seem to have done a very good job and I am recovering quite well. It's weird for me not hearing my every heartbeat, I don't know if I'd ever experienced that in my lifetime... I bought a Littmann 3200 digital recording stethoscope to record the various LOUD heart sounds that would present out of clinic where my cardiologist could never hear them, but now can use it to compare the pre and post myectomy sounds which are sure to astound! Right now I'm hearing my heart a little bit in my right ear, but it's very quiet. My surgeon even seemed astonished to see just how much of the noise actually went away! Right now, once I'm done with the pain of the sternotomy and get over complications from a femoral psudoaneurysm, I'll be in great shape. The doctor has increased my pain meds, so things should be better. The pseudoaneurysm just caught me off guard and they had to do an echo followed by exploratory surgery the same day of the myectomy. The mitral valve was intact and once the obstruction was removed there was only nominal regurgitation and so far I require no pacing or ICD, but that could change. I did have my first episode of A-Fib two days ago and had to be carried to the hospital in the ambulance, which was really scary, but I've been resting well over the weekend and feel much better. My EKGs are now showing left bundle branch block and now they have noticed an atrial septal aneurysm on the echocardiogram. I'll know more this coming Thursday when I see Dr. Glower again.
    Bryan,
    Western North Carolina
    48 YO Male
    Diagnosed with HOCM/IHSS with SAM of the Mitral Valve Leaflets 2002
    Septal Myectomy 4/16/2013, Duke University Medical Center, Dr. Donald D. Glower, MD.

Re: New Myectomy Patient 4/16/2013 (Duke University Medical Center)

Be sure to write down all your questions - its easy to forget them! and do keep us posted.
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Wow that is quite a journey. I like the idea of getting a digital recording stethoscope. You sound like a fellow techie.
      Sorry to hear about the scary issues post-op, hopefully the underlying causes will get resolved.
      ICD implanted June 2010
      Septal/Apical Myectomy at Mayo, Nov 2012
      Catheter Ablation at Mayo, September 2013
      2015: can do most activities/sports again, and thankful to be alive

Comment

It was sure nice to get those surgical staples out this week! I am much more comfortable now. I took my list of questions with me and all were answered satisfactorily... Next will be a return visit with my cardiologist, Dr. Ebere O. Chukwu, at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, NC. I seem to be recovering well, and am doing well with my walks, but now my legs need to get caught up with my heart in terms of endurance!
        Bryan,
        Western North Carolina
        48 YO Male
        Diagnosed with HOCM/IHSS with SAM of the Mitral Valve Leaflets 2002
        Septal Myectomy 4/16/2013, Duke University Medical Center, Dr. Donald D. Glower, MD.

Comment

Bryan - glad things are improving - the leg strength will get there - persistence - wishing you the best - Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X