If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myectomy & Mitral Valve Replacement scheduled in the next two weeks!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Felinezoo Find out more about Felinezoo
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myectomy & Mitral Valve Replacement scheduled in the next two weeks!

Hi folks,

I made the decision to have the myectomy in August and was told it would be done by the end of September but still don't have a definite date although my surgeon emailed me on Tuesday and said it will be in the next two weeks. The health system being what it is in Australia even if I get a date it could be cancelled at the last minute due to an emergency. So I am like a cat on a hot tin roof, waiting every day for the phone call, email or letter so I can make some arrangements for work and family. We don't have any COE's here unfortunately so I am having the op at the Royal Hobart hospital but the surgeon has performed the op in the UK and on children so I feel as confident as it is possible to be.

I have read everything on the forum relating to the myectomy and recovery as well as what to take etc. and I want to thank everyone who has posted their experiences and suggestions as they have been very helpful.

I will post when I have a date and after the big day! Thanks again all.
    “It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it.”

Septal Myectomy & Mitral Valve replacement Oct 2012
    Dx 09/97
    ICD 26/11/10, redone 10/12/10 (lead failure) and replaced Oct 2012 (failed during myectomy surgery).
    Age 51, two children 29 & 27, both currently clear. Father, aunt, cousin and cousin's son all with HCM. Cousin's son had ICD implanted eight years ago (at age 19).
    **my 11 year old cat was diagnosed with feline HCM at 2 and is still going strong!

Re: Myectomy & Mitral Valve Replacement scheduled in the next two weeks!

Great... the waiting is tough isn't it! Sounds like you're prepared though. Keep us posted on your scheduling and good luck!

Comment

Wishing you the best - will be watching for updates.

Glad you have the background info on your surgeon - feeling that confidence is so important. Just hope you get the date soon and all follows smoothly with family and work.

Linda

Comment

Yes, waiting is hard -- but in all likelihood you'll feel so much better once you've recovered that it will be worth it! Keep us posted.

Gordon
        Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

All the best !!

Comment

Best of luck! Hope it all goes well and looking forward to reading about your experience.

Comment

Thanks all, I finally have a date! I have the angiogram next Monday and the biggie on Tuesday.

I will keep you posted, all good thoughts sent my way are gratefully accepted.
              “It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it.”

Septal Myectomy & Mitral Valve replacement Oct 2012
              Dx 09/97
              ICD 26/11/10, redone 10/12/10 (lead failure) and replaced Oct 2012 (failed during myectomy surgery).
              Age 51, two children 29 & 27, both currently clear. Father, aunt, cousin and cousin's son all with HCM. Cousin's son had ICD implanted eight years ago (at age 19).
              **my 11 year old cat was diagnosed with feline HCM at 2 and is still going strong!

Comment

Good thoughts your way for sure !! All the best !!

Comment

Hoping they give you a date & stick to it! Best of luck!
                  Marc
                  Diagnosed @ 48
                  Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                  Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                  AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                  After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                  Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X