If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myectomy bound!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HocumFocus Find out more about HocumFocus
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Myectomy bound!

Well, the 10 week mark was yesterday. Absolutely no chest pain or SOB since the surgery which is amazing. Could go back to work now but lots of sick leave benefits and the Christmas break coming up anyway, I decided to wait until the new year. The extra little bit of healing will help too. I think the biggest obstacle I still struggle with is that I need to redefine myself as an able-bodied person. I was so obstructed and so limited in activities, that I defined myself into that little box. Now, that I can get out and do more, I find I really have to prod myself to get out of the house and walk, shop, etc. I know it will come with time but I did find that aspect of recovery interesting and something that others might encounter.

Comment

Welcome back to the world of the living - Enjoy!
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Enjoy your extra time off - now that enjoying it is possible!

Gordon
        Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Great to hear!
          ICD implanted June 2010
          Septal/Apical Myectomy at Mayo, Nov 2012
          Catheter Ablation at Mayo, September 2013
          2015: can do most activities/sports again, and thankful to be alive

Comment

Great news... you certainly have much to be thankful for this holiday season.

I know exactly how you feel regarding the sudden absence of disability. I was in and out of heart failure for years but for reasons that even my doctors cannot fully explain I have now found myself virtually symptom-free and able to do pretty much anything I want. It's been a hard adjustment to make after being in the disabled mindset for so long. When you're at your low point with HCM you kinda settle into the prospect that this is how it's gonna be for the rest of your life and you learn to accept it. But then you suddenly get better and it's like... "NOW what am I going to do for the rest of my life???"

So glad to hear that you are doing well.

Jim
            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Been a tough week. Afer 14 weeks of textbook recovery, our household was hit with a stomach flu virus (noro most likely) and I was the last one to get hit just a few days after Xmas. After a night of talking to the great white telephone, I was starting to feel better, stood up and WHAM, got hit with a shock, followed every few minutes by more--!17 in total until I got the hospital! Long and short, a 911 call and emergency visit, admission overnight, EP and cardiology consultation, etc. they determined it was a run of atrial flutters that due to a couple of funky ICD parameters and thresholds was trying to treat inappopriately. Some amiodarone calmed the rhythyms down and I was pretty good (except for the flu but I suspect that the IV fluids helped out there). Made it home for a quiet new years eve. EP followup in 4 weeks and on amiodarone for now. There was some talk of starting Coumadin but I am not really big on that (some prior bleeding issues) and have decided to talk to cardiologist about wating to see what the 4 week EP check on the ICD monitoring shows before taking that step. Will be increasing aspirin therapy a bit in the meantime. Oh well, sometimes it's one step forward and two steps back, huh?

Comment

Wow very sorry to hear about that! Having multiple zaps is the last thing anyone wants. Hope you're better now!
                ICD implanted June 2010
                Septal/Apical Myectomy at Mayo, Nov 2012
                Catheter Ablation at Mayo, September 2013
                2015: can do most activities/sports again, and thankful to be alive

Comment

Sorry to hear that you had to go through this!

You may want to consider having an ablation for atrial flutter at some point. I did, nearly two years ago, and haven't had any atrial flutter since. That also allowed me to eventually come off the antiarrhythmia drugs. The chance of success for flutter ablations is quite high.

In the meanwhile, I certainly hope they gave your ICD some more appropriate settings!

Gordon
                  Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X