If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myectomy bound!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HocumFocus Find out more about HocumFocus
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Myectomy bound!

I don't remember exactly when I stopped using the spirometer but it was at least a couple of weeks after the surgery. I just figured it would help to keep my lungs clear so I kept at it for a while. Sounds like you are doing great, all things considered! Hope that it is continued smooth sailing for you! Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I recall my lungs feeling worse than I expected and I stop the spirometer once I was able to truly BREATHE deeply. The inactiivy of the past few weeks takes it toll! Keep walking, resting and enjoying life!
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Three weekiversy check in time. Trying to get out for a daily walk and finally feel like going further so yesterday's was longest yet and felt good. Metoprolol was cut in half this week to 100 mg and I feel more energy from that change as well. Only real pain is when I transition to laying in bed (still 2 pillows) as it takes a moment for the sternum and back to "settle" but it sounds from reading many recovery blogs that others experience this as well. Sternum hasn't clicked for a week now so I think it's started to fuse already. Can't watch sitcoms yet, laughing is as bad as a sneeze or sharp cough! LOL

Got a stitch showing externally on the main incision and I'm watching and cleaning that carefully to avoid infection other than that, it's slow and steady, rest and meds to keep rebuilding fitness I guess.

Comment

My surgeon didn't seem too concerned with my external stitch when I saw him at my post-op appointment. He ended up cutting it out to reduce the possibility of infection. However, he did say that it would have eventually fallen out since the internal sutures are absorbable. One less thing to worry about. I know I kept trying to pull it out and it was mainly just annoying.

Comment

Well, 4 weeks ago today at this moment I was waking up in ICU after my myectomy. Within the last week, I've been sleeping on 2 or even 1 pillow as opposed to 3 or 4 before surgery and able to sleep on my sides somewhat. Feeling stronger but still watching weight limits. Walking has improved dramatically since I got home and can now do a mile in 16 minutes where I couldn't walk 50 feet without chest pain and SOB--amazing! Still lots of work to do there though. The protruding stitch was driving me crazy and irritating the skin around it so I carefully tweezed and trimmed it last night--soooo much better!

Comment

Glad to hear you are doing so well.
              Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
              Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
              ICD 10/08

Comment

Glad to hear you are doing so well. Hopefully it will just keep getting better and better. Soon enough you will not even remember little things like SOB after eating! Reading through your posts I had actually forgotten about that one. Good luck!

Comment

5 week to the day update since surgery! No whoosh of feeling better but I do feel a bit stronger each week that passes. Walking a mile a day at a good pace and the chest wounds are almost healed over (though still have to fill in some). Sternum is much less painful that a couple weeks back. Hurt my back a bit this week by trying to move too quickly in an awkward way when rolling over in bed and had to take it real easy for 3 days... word of advice to new myecomites... we tend to move our bodies awkwardly at times due to the weight restrictions on arms and managing pain in the sternum but do ensure that you repostion your body slowly and carefully at all times while healing. I didn't always but I do now! Off of amiodarone as of today... the odd PVC, just as always but pulse is moderate and steady.

Basically another quiet week... sneezed for the first time since surgery. Glad I didn't do that any earlier but I find a hard laugh is just as bad so beware of comedies too!
                  Last edited by HocumFocus; 10-30-2012, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mertz View Post
                    Good luck, and you'll be just fine!! Let us know how it goes.
                    Patty
                    7 years past surgery and i still feel 15 years younger than i did prior to surgery the results were amazing....good luck

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                      7 years past surgery and i still feel 15 years younger than i did prior to surgery the results were amazing....good luck
                      Do we get to subtract those years?... because that would make me 34... and that would be way cool.
                      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Six weeks and in some ways, it seems like so much longer than that. I've read where others talk of feeling a whoosh of feeling better around week 5 or 6 but I've just been experiencing slow but steady progress. Last chest tube wound has healed over and sternum stability is pretty good. Walking is going great and not a trace of the old tight chest pain and SOB no matter the pace! Still a long way to go to work back up to any level of fitness though. I guess slow and steady is not a bad way to go.

Celebratory Hawaiian family vacation has now been booked for Februray! Hang loose!

Comment

Enjoy the celebration!
                          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

If I can subtract the years I'd have hair & 25lbs less of me!!
                            Marc
                            Diagnosed @ 48
                            Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                            Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                            AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                            After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                            Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Eight weeks ago today, I was probably being wheeled out of OR and into ICU after my myectomy. Continuing to make slow progress, chest tube wounds are 90% filled in and the main incision looks pretty good--a bit itchy and sore at times, particularly after driving (seat belt). Sneezed today, not too bad but not pain free. Can sleep on my sides at will though, yay!

Also, the bump at the top of the main incision has pretty much disappeared.

Has snowed here now so walking has turned into exercise bike sessions, probably get out for some mall walking though. I'm starting to forget what it was like before--the chest pain and SOB at the smallest exertion... who was that person?
                              Last edited by HocumFocus; 11-22-2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Congratulations! These minor discomforts take a while to disappear, but it sounds as though you're doing great!

Gordon
                                Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X